ARRAY(0x9e8deef4)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Joseph Consortium
The Joseph Consortium

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and the best, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Joseph Consortium (Audio CD)
This is the only way to listen to Joseph! It's Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webbers first major work and is an absolute gem. This version is from the late 60's ('68 if I remember correctly) and is the first record of theirs to be released. It is shorter than the later versions but avoids the horrible modern production that has ruined all subsequent releases.

To top it off this is a well mastered CD which sounds excellent. My only complaint being that there is no track indexing but this is not worth a star!

Between Dog And Wolf [VINYL]
Between Dog And Wolf [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for a great album (review of 2 record set), 5 Oct 2013
Finally received the 2 record set of Between Dog and Wolf this week and I am pleasantly surprised at how good the pressing is and how good the album is itself. Having got "into" New Model Army around Thunder and Consolation I've never really warmed to the harder rock sound of the more modern albums where as this new offering seems to fall between the two styles and I think works very well!

Time will tell of course but my initial thoughts are very positive and I would recommend Between Dog and Wolf to anybody that switched off to NMA around The Love of Hopeless Causes LP or after.

Electric Peace [VINYL]
Electric Peace [VINYL]
Price: 16.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for a great album (review of 2 record set sound), 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Electric Peace [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is the album that brought me to The Cult and is still one of my favourites (Dreamtime + Dreamtime live is my top dog)

I received the LP for this last week and have given it a few spins this weekend. I already have this on record and CD but haven't listened for a while and I haven't compared the new record to my previous copies. Why post a review you ask?

Well I thought it worth mentioning that my ears thought the Electric record was fantastic! A really, really great copy of the album whether or not it is digitally sourced or not.

The Peace record was also excellent!

My one complaint is that they are two different cuts/masters (Electric is superior to Peace) so it's difficult mix and match between the two records; i.e. to replace "Born To Be Wild" with "Zap City" or to put the original B-sides at the end of Electric to make an extended Electric album.

So it's highly recommended by me!

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn [DVD]
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Price: 3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I really WANTED to like this film!, 18 Jun 2012
Animation 10/10 and lots of action are the positives. However, for a fan of the books the storyline is simply terrible. It's missing important characters (the Bird brothers for instance) and scenes whilst adding many new action scenes that seem to add nothing but detract from the story. In fact it feels like a mashing together of lots different stories and ideas into a film that loses the plot all together.

I think young children may love this film and my other half (who has not read the books) thought it was "good" so I'm giving it 3 stars but personally I think that's a bit generous.

Not Your Kind Of People [VINYL]
Not Your Kind Of People [VINYL]
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album, garbage sound!, 29 May 2012
Product wise the LP has the album + all the bonus tracks from the deluxe cd set and it also comes with a cd.

Received this record today! I actually like the album/songs and the packaging is good, has the lyrics and a gatefold sleeve. Unfortunately the record is also compressed to hell. I have a cd recorder with recording volume indicators and it's the first time ever (playing a record) that I have seen them not move (up or down) at all for 30 seconds at a time in places, this is common with a lot of modern CD's but as I say I haven't seen a record do this before. It's a shame as it will be another album that will not get played as often as it should just because of a crap, overly loud and compressed master!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2012 7:19 AM BST

The It Girl
The It Girl
Price: 11.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, poor re-master, 20 May 2012
This review is from: The It Girl (Audio CD)
If you're reading this review you will already know the main album contained here. I liked the album then and had it on vinyl so, on seeing this release I thought to myself "look at all those extra tracks!" and bought this! Well the album is still how I remember it but this is another Cherry Red "Let's max the volume on the CD so much that we leave no dynamics left!" I still keep buying these Cherry Red re-masters but have to say that there are only a few that are any good. The extra tracks are OK (Still mastered too loud) so I didn't waste the money on this 2 cd set but this release could and should have sounded good too!

Note to Cherry Red: I think we all have volume control on whatever system that any individual will be playing this CD on. If I turn up the volume on a well mastered CD I keep the original dynamic range of the CD AND get loud music! Why do you insist on compressing the hell out of the master to make it ear bleedingly loud before you press the CD? That dynamic range is lost forever ;-(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2012 1:15 AM BST

Smart
Smart
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, poor re-master, 20 May 2012
This review is from: Smart (Audio CD)

The Wrong People
The Wrong People
Price: 9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Good remaster, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Wrong People (Audio CD)
Comments of the other reviewers noted. Just thought it would be useful to know that this is a very good remaster, not a victim of the loudness war like many Cherry Red releases. I have noticed that Cherry Red seem to be getting much better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2012 9:20 PM GMT

Should The World Fail To Fall Apart
Should The World Fail To Fall Apart
Price: 13.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Good remaster, 12 Feb 2012
Comments of the other reviewer noted. Just thought it would be useful to know that this is a very good remaster, not a victim of the loudness war like many Cherry Red releases. I have noticed that Cherry Red seem to be getting much better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2014 3:01 PM GMT

Essential
Essential
Price: 3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but who is this CD for?, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Essential (Audio CD)
For a fan to have any reason to buy this it had to have the single versions of the songs including Prodigal Blues and the live version of Mony Mony which are hard to come by these days. Where are the single versions for LA Woman, Heroin, Adam in Chains and Wasteland? If these single versions had been included this would have been essential as the title suggests but we get the album track Blue Highway instead!

This CD might be worth purchasing if you don't have any other Billy Idol best ofs and want something cheap and hence I've given 3 stars.

I think that it's this lack of thought and attention to detail of their releases that has helped lead to the demise of EMI.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3