Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer "nuttynitsa"

The Witch's Cradle
The Witch's Cradle

5.0 out of 5 stars The Witch's Cradle by Gillian White, 6 Mar. 2004
This review is from: The Witch's Cradle (Paperback)
The definition of a good thriller?.....I guess that could be summed up by the phrase "It has a good twist"
So does that mean that an excellent thriller has a double twist?......Guiding you along.....feeding you facts.....Aiming your attention on a particular character, then leading you away again.....maybe turning your head for just long enough that when the truth is revealed your stumped.....It's someone very different than you'd imagined!

If this is the case then, how would you describe a thriller that had you doubting every character......All of them!.......That gave you informative and descriptive views of each characters life, emotions, struggles......Had you believing in them all at some point and equally disbelieving in them at others? ..........You're mind darting through the chapters in turn accusing everyone you lay your eyes on.....Then just as you think it's all over and read through the last chapter....You're stumped again and, finally, when you have just about relaxed into the ending you flip the final pages and you are gobsmacked!
A thriller that could have you so involved, captivate your concentration so hard that you visualise each person......each scene.......each emotion......Just as if you are there, looking at them, standing amongst them.......running through their veins!
A rollercoaster that has you wanting to read on, even after the plot is finalised and the text has run out!

How would you describe a book that could do all that in just 30 chapters?

If you can think of an answer let me know 'cos right now I'm lost for words and the compliments "Excellent", "Outstanding", "Amazing" and "Intelligent" do not even begin to describe what I want to say about this book!

Unhallowed Ground
Unhallowed Ground

5.0 out of 5 stars "Unhallowed Ground" by Gillian White, 16 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Unhallowed Ground (Paperback)
Another fantastic read from Gillian White. Her ability to bring characters alive is amazing, they seem to stay with you long after the book is put aside and become a part of your everyday thoughts during and after the read.
I am usually a slow reader but I took this book everywhere with me, even in the bath, and completed it within 2 days....I just couldn't put it down!
I considered many different theories as I read, changing my mind more than once as to what the final plot may be - Only to finally find that none of my theories met with the clever finality Gillian White had created - I remember mumbling "oh my God" out loud as I read through the final chapters.
Such detail combined with so much mystery is surely a skill? These skills mixed with an intelligent yet easily dissolved language can only come to produce a winning thriller.
This was my second read, "Refuge" being my first and I now have 2 more on order......Gillian White creates a thirst within you that only more of her work can quench!
OUTSTANDING!

Refuge
Refuge

5.0 out of 5 stars "Refuge" by Gillian White, 30 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Refuge (Paperback)
Gillian White writes in such an easy flowing comprehensable language.....talented and wordly with a touch of humour and a pinch of sarcasm! Perfect poetic English mixed with common phrases and unexpected twists.

I was interested by the introduction on the book leaf......Intrigued even.....maybe even shocked a little!.....
I was appalled throughout chapter 2 and 3.......
I shared Shelleys anguish as a Mother, her fears, her love for her child.....
I trod alongside her, questioning my closeness from time to time, despairing in my understanding..........Sharing in her shame.....Thinking I knew her well at times only to be horrified by some of her actions, actions she found to be "normal".....
My heart leapt so hard at times, it made the pages move as I held the book close to me....
Many times I felt I had to put it down.....Just so I could breath........But only seconds would pass before I felt the need to pick it up again!
I have alot of trouble remembering the details of real life, let alone ficticious dribble.......and yet, I remembered them all...Every character.....Not once did I have to flip my pages backwards to "double check", not once was a scene not perfectly painted within my mind for me through type....Not for a moment did I have difficulty believing the actions of a character or the acurateness of an extremely well described place or item.

It is ....Without a doubt......THE best book I have ever read.
It left me feeling drained, broader minded, challenged, pity, hopeful and sadder than I ever thought would be possible during chapter one......

...most of all it left me feeling gutted that I had come to the end of such an expertly thought out, well composed, easy to read piece of excellence!

I want more!