Profile for Eddie Brown > Reviews

Eddie Brown

The Life Pursuit
The Life Pursuit
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars The wonderful new album from Belle & Sebastian., 12 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Life Pursuit (Audio CD)
The Life Pursuit is one of the catchiest and happiest albums I've heard. Every single track on the album is memorable and well worth listening to. The first time I listened to this I wasn't really concentrating on it but being B&S, I had to give it another shot with my full attention. I did and song after song brought a happy smile to my face.
The first track, The Act of the Apostle I is a great upbeat start to the album. The chorus is amazing, memorable and very layered.
Another Sunny Day starts off very upbeat with a fastish beat and happy lyrics. Not the best song on the album, but the standards on the album never go below excellent.
White Collar Boy sounds edgier than the rest of the album. It has backup vocals which really add to the song no end. Once again, great chorus. Very good song!
The Blues Are Still Blue is a foot tapping song with smart lyrics, some might say it's a little cheesy though. But the blues are still blue! Again, catchy and memorable tune and chorus.
Dress Up in You is probably my least favourite song on the album because it's slower and much less memorable than the rest of the album. Has backup vocals from a female singer.
Sukie in the Graveyard is great! Very upbeat and jazzy sounding. Another memorable track.
We Are the Sleepyheads is once again a fast upbeat track with a great beat and fast guitar.
Song For Sunshine may just be the most memorable song on the album purely because of the chorus. I love it! It's not neccessarily the best song on the album but the chorus makes this song excel. Sunshine/We all see/The same sky. This will be stuck in your head for a while after hearing it.
Funny Little Frog is a nice track, and the single B&S released from this album I believe. It's very pop/rock and catchy.
To Be Myself Completely is sung by a different singer than the rest of the album (sorry I don't know names). Another foot-tapper and a good drum line.
Act of the Apostle II is slower and sounds a little like something from an old broadway musical; but towards the end it turns into the same sound as Apostle I with that very memorable chorus.
For The Price of a Cup of Tea is another great stand out track you'll be singing in your head afterwards. Very upbeat, very happy.
Mornington Cresent is a slow song which sounds good nevertheless (I prefer the fast songs personally). Some great guitar and great piano here. A nice subtle but lovely end to an excellent (my favourite) Belle and Sebastian album.
I don't know what die-hard B&S fans will say about this album, but I love it. A real quality album with some of the catchiest choruses I've ever heard.