Profile for Derrei > Reviews

Derrei

The Bull: My Story
The Bull: My Story

4.0 out of 5 stars No fuss book, like the man himself., 31 Dec 2013
Anyone that has followed rugby, especially Munster and Irish fans, will most likely know what to expect from this book.
Like John, it is humble, honest and self-depreciating with some excellent inside stories. In fairness, he does not veer too far into the controversial and is careful not to cross the line by saying too much. Although, not unexpected, I would have liked some more detail on the issues during the World Cup for the Irish team, who imploded spectacularly during that competition. That is my only criticism and if you are looking for something, other than what has already been reported, then this book will not provide. However, as rugby fan I have no doubt that you will enjoy his journey.

Cyclone: My Story
Cyclone: My Story

4.0 out of 5 stars Brutally Honest, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cyclone: My Story (Kindle Edition)
As a keen Irish boxing fan, it will be no surprise that Barry was a hero to me so my review should be viewed with this taken into consideration.
However, I have always felt that Barry's career was unfulfilled. This was for a number of reasons and this book delves into the reasons for why this happened. The one overriding theme is honesty and of taking responsibility for his actions, regardless if the outcome was positive or negative.
The book also goes into fantastic detail of some of his key fights, the build-up, the fight itself and the aftermath. You do really feel as if you are there and his technical explanation of the tactics used is a much valued added bonus.
He does not shirk taking about the fall out with Eastwood, his defeats, the death and the massive impact it had on him of Young Ali and of course, because of the time and the places, how the troubles in Northern Ireland impacted on him.
Would recommend this for boxing fans of any age.

John Giles: A Football Man - My Autobiography
John Giles: A Football Man - My Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest with studs showing, 6 Jan 2012
A great journey through the life of one of the greatest footballers of all time. The book is very well written and perhaps even more importantly very well edited so you do not get any of the stories that repeat a few chapters later, unlike some others sports autobiographies I have read recently. But most of all it was the honesty that came through, from his views of Revie to Busby to his time playing for the infamous Leeds team of the 70's. Just like some of his tackles, the studs are showing in this book. Highly recommended for any football fan regardless of the team you support.

Longy - Booze, Brawls, Sex and Scandal: The Autobiography of the Wild Man of Rugby League

2.0 out of 5 stars Boozey, 6 Jan 2012
As an avid fan of all sports, then it is only natural that I try to read as many sports autobiographies as I can. I was very excited to see that Sean Long, a player I have admired for many years, had released his. Well sadly, whilst this autobiography did give some details on the games he played especially some of the finals, most of it was about his childish antics most of them while he was on the beer. I just cant reconcile how a sportsman can give these lurid details and expect those who paid for them i.e. the paying public via ticket sales etc to think this is all just a good laugh, me I am disappointed my hard earned cash is flushed down a pub toilet by some of my heroes. All in all, there are much better autobiographies out there, stay clear of this one.

Toddy - The Colin Todd Story
Toddy - The Colin Todd Story
Price: 5.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor fare, 29 Aug 2011
To be fair to Todd he clearly states that he will not name names or make individual comments early on in this book. But I ask why bother if that is the case, I can read practically, all that he written, from match reports. I want,and indeed, expect more from an autobiography. Still at least it was only 99p, about 90p too much.

I'm Not Really Here
I'm Not Really Here

5.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective to a footballing career, 29 Aug 2011
This book is not only for City fans, who will find it very interesting, but for all sports fans. It is the perfect antedote to the familiar, bloated and predictable fare of the current footballing autobiographies. stay away from red nev's tome of inane warbling, this is theatre, a shakesspearen tragedy twist from real life.