ARRAY(0x97f2c870)

Profile for J. E. Armstrong > Reviews

Content by J. E. Armstrong

J. E. Armstrong "Janea" (Bracknell, Berks United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Price: 19.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-awaited but brilliant, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Art of Melody (Audio CD)
We have been waiting a long time for Robert John Godfrey to release an album of his piano compositions, but The Art of Melody proves that a good thing is well worth waiting for.

RJG has taken some themes familiar to his followers and expanded on them to bring an album of rare beauty. His accompanying orchestrations perfectly compliment his piano playing. Hopefully this will gain him a wider audience and establish him once and for all amongst the greatest composers of his generation with the Classic FM and Radio 3 afficiandos.

This is a must-have for everyone who loves piano music and for all fans of Robert John Godfrey and his band The Enid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2013 10:47 PM GMT

Price: 11.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a masterpiece!, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Invicta (Audio CD)
Invicta

I have been a fan of The Enid since the 70's and have seen them go through many changes. The current line-up however is, in my view, the best ever. The addition of vocalist Joe Payne has brought a fresh dynamic to the band which was already revitalised by the addition of guitarist Jason Ducker and Nic Willes on bass and percussion.

Invicta is a new direction for the band, which was formally mostly instrumental but here Joe's vocals play a major part. It flows smoothly from one track to another and leaves one breathless at the end of it. One & The Many is the first big surprise with Joe singing like a choirboy - if you shut your eyes you can imagine him singing in a big cathedral in front of a stained glass window - then suddenly he melds into his usual voice in a spine-tingling moment. You just want this song to go on and on.

Who Created Me is possibly one of my favourite songs on the album, along with Villain of Science - both originally written by Joe and then given the Robert John Godfrey orchestral treatment with some wonderful guitar work from Jason Ducker. His solo in Villain of Science is phenomenal.

Speaking of Jason - Heaven's Gate is a revelation. RJG has taken Art of Melody, from the Journey's End album, the first in the series, and Jason has worked some guitar over it - but what a sound! At first glance you would almost think it is an opera singer! Jason can get sounds from his Fernandes you would not think possible. If this doesn't leave you with tears in your eyes you have no soul.

Witch Hunt is a very haunting melody - quite menacing in tone - and it brings images of a 17th Century mob chasing some poor woman they perceive to be a witch. Very exciting and frenetic.

Leviticus is a song which grows on you. The vocals are beautiful and the guitar and orchestration are just gorgeous.

The final song, The Whispering, has layered vocals from Joe Payne and Max Read harmonising beautifully accompanied by subtle acoustic guitar and orchestrations. It is such a haunting melody to finish this amazing album with, I was lost for words at the end of my first hearing - with tears running down my cheeks.

The album works as a whole and the songs stand up individually. I think this is the best work The Enid have ever done and although I do not use this word lightly, it is a true masterpiece.

Price: 0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastering The Art of Melody, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Art of Melody (MP3 Download)
This composition was originally on The Enid's 2010 album Journey's End and was composed and performed by Robert John Godfrey using a synthesised orchestra. At the time of The Enid's Birmingham Town Hall show to launch the album he said he couldn't perform it live by himself, but that we'd hear it one day. In October 2011 I was at the Birmingham Symphony Hall to hear this beautiful piece performed by The CBSO just as it was supposed to be, whilst RJG watched on. It was simply stunning and the audience was enthralled. Robert John Godfrey is one of the foremost composers of our generation, and with The Art of Melody he will hopefully finally get the recognition he so richly deserves. He has an album of compositions for piano and orchestra due out imminently, also called The Art of Melody of which this is just a taster. He really has mastered the Art.

The Mirror of Love
The Mirror of Love
Price: 0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly beautiful!, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Mirror of Love (MP3 Download)
This performance by The Enid's Robert John Godfrey is simply breathtaking. I was at this show - you could hear a pin drop and grown men were brought to tears. RJG has to be the most under-rated composer of his generation. I can't wait for the release of the full album.

Falling Knives
Falling Knives

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock at its best, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: Falling Knives (MP3 Download)
I heard Voodoo Six's album First Hit For Free a couple of years ago and was very impressed by them. They then changed vocalists, and Luke Purdie's gruffer voice helped take them to a higher level with the release of Fluke? - an album which has been on almost constant rotation in my car since its release.

Their latest EP Falling Knives sees them going from strength to strength with a very strong title track, beginning with a catchy bass riff from Tony Newton before the wall of sound from guitarists Matt Pearce and Chris Jones comes in. Two new tracks follow, and then new re-workings of songs from their first album to show how great they can sound with Luke singing.

Their recent tour proved that they can deliver these songs brilliantly live and Falling Knives itself is a great crowd pleaser and destined to be one of the set=list favourites in years to come.

Rock doesn't come much better than this.

Journey's End
Journey's End
Price: 11.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning return from The Enid, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Journey's End (Audio CD)
I first heard Journey's End performed live at the Town Hall Birmingham and at the end of it there was a collective gasp as people had to remember to start breathing again. It was stunning, and my opinion has not changed after many listens.

The Enid have had a long and chequered history, and this is a return to top form for this band after a hiatus when Robert John Godfrey suffered from composer's block. With a fresh younger line-up, RJG and drummer Dave Storey being the only original members, the band has taken on a whole new feel and these songs are unmistakably Enid, with a timeless quality but a bang up-to-date outlook.

The re-pressing of this album for 2012, ONLY available from The Enid's Amazon shop or from the band's website or the merch stand at gigs, has two bonus tracks featuring the band's new vocalist Joe Payne. He has a voice to send shivers down your spine and the extra track Here Comes Summer is set to become a firm favourite of mine with Joe's vocal performance and a superb guitar solo from Jason Ducker.

I predict that this is the start of many great things to come from The Enid for the 21st Century.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars BOOTLEG RECORDING, 22 Jun 2010
This is an illegally released record. The rights are owned by EMI, who have up to now never released this on CD - and this recording has been bootlegged from an old vinyl copy. EMI have asked Innersanctum to remove these from sale, and will soon be releasing this album legitimately themselves from the master copy. DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2010 1:09 AM BST

In The Region Of The Summer Stars
In The Region Of The Summer Stars
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and best!, 22 Jun 2010
When I was in my late teens back in the dim and distant 70's, I kept seeing banners with The Enid logo at every festival and many of the larger gigs I went to.

So, curious, I bought the vinyl version of In The Region of The Summer Stars for the princely sum of [...] (I've still got the price sticker!) and booked to go to see them (I think it was at The Marquee.). This was a the start of a love affair that has lasted until this day.

This album is full of wonderful melodies, beautiful piano sections and soaring guitars. I played that album until the grooves had nearly worn out. It's unlike anything you've ever heard. Is it classical? Is it progressive rock? I don't know - all I know is that I love it.

For many years, EMI held the master tapes and refused to release it on CD. So, after the demise of my record player I was unable to listen to this masterpiece. Because of this The Enid later re-recorded and the album with several changes but it wasn't the same - I knew every note of the original by heart, and for me, it was the best and although the new version was still excellent, it wasn't MY In The Region of The Summer Stars.

However, when EMI came under new management earlier this year, they agreed to give the master tapes to The Enid, and current member Max Read worked his magic on it and cleaned them up to produce this pristine version of the original ITROTSS.

I am in seventh heaven! I can now listen to my favourite track - The Last Judgement - as it was originally recorded but because it is so clear, I can hear things I've never heard before on my old record player. The quiet piano piece The Lovers, played so beautifully by Robert John Godfrey, sends shivers down my spine and makes me come over all emotional - it's so glorious. And the final track - after which the album is named - leaves me breathless and wanting more.

I've fallen in love all over again. This is the original and best version - released on The Enid's own Operation Seraphim label - and a must have for anyone who loves powerful, melodic rock.

At Our Tables
At Our Tables
Price: 8.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime, 1 April 2008
This review is from: At Our Tables (Audio CD)
At Out Tables is Eileen Rose's forth album and as far as I am concerned, her best to date.

It is a collection of catchy tunes and wistful melodies, which are blended together to make the perfect album. Since buying it - and seeing some of the songs performed live by Eileen and her band, The Holy Wreck - I find I can't get the songs out of my head - from the catchy opener "$20 Shoes" to the final thought-provoking track - "The Day Before".

Eileen's smooth, rich vocals, as sumptious as hot melted chocolate, and her talent for putting the finger on the pulse of life and relationships. are laid bare here for all to appreciate.

Eileen Rose has something for every mood here - and there's not a single dud track. Bob Harris has been raving about it on his Radio 2 Saturday show, and personally I think At Out Tables deserves a place in every discerning music lover's collection.

Come the Storm
Come the Storm
Price: 9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Storming, 18 Feb 2008
This review is from: Come the Storm (Audio CD)
I don't know why Eileen Rose isn't a huge megastar. Her albums have all been released to great critical acclaim, and Come The Storm shows her true versatility.

From the epic Ocean of Fire to the laid back, Sunday afternoon drinking with friends song Stagger Home, Eileen's songs show off her wonderful talent as a songwriter, and her vocal talent is second to none. She has the power to move this old cynic the way no other female artist can.

Everyone should have this album in their collection!

Page: 1 | 2