Profile for Mr. R. S. Brown > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. S. Brown

Mr. R. S. Brown "HI-FI FAN" (Devon England)

Live In Barcelona (Dvd) [2000]
Live In Barcelona (Dvd) [2000]
Dvd ~ Elton John
Price: 12.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Elton !, 13 Nov 2012
Despite some other reviewers comments on audio quality etc . I was hesitant to buy ( at full price ), because a lot of 'older' concert recordings released on DVD are no better than their VHS predecessors !
But I thought it worth a try especially at the give away price of 1p !!!.The postage cost more !!!
I was not disapointed. I am particuarly keen on good DVD audio to get the best out of my surround system & this concert sounds really great.
Elton is in cracking form, at the top of his game, in fact he sounds better in Barcelona than he does on some of his
later concert DVD's. It is also visually very good & held my attention throughout, well worth adding to your music collection, vintage Elton.

A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals [DVD] [2010]
A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Curtis Stigers
Price: 9.36

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CONCERT, POOR SOUND & PICTURE, 6 Sep 2011
BBC Marketing Executives must be total phillistines ! The BBC transmitted this concert in HIGH DEFINITION with 5:1 SURROUND SOUND, watched by 3.5 Million viewers.
So why has it not been released on BLU-RAY ?
It is so obvious that the sheer quality and popularity of the John Wilson Orchestra's sound, cries out for it to be released on the highest Quality DVD format presently available ! NOT in mediocre STANDARD Definition Video and in only TWO CHANNEL DD audio. I had high expectations for this DVD, but when I read the video & audio details I realised that it is exactly the same as the recording of the broadcast, that I have on the hard drive of my SONY DVD Recorder ! Come on BBC, the nations licence payer's, music lovers, HI-FI fans, audiophiles, and all those High Definition TV and High Quality Surround Sound System owners, demand better!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2011 3:15 AM GMT

Diana Krall - Live In Paris [DVD] [2008] [2002]
Diana Krall - Live In Paris [DVD] [2008] [2002]
Dvd ~ Various Artists
Price: 14.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Does'nt Disappoint, Dynamic & Delightful DVD., 21 May 2009
I agree with all the previous reviewers positive comments, Diana at her best, the tracks, the musicians, the concert, the picture and sound are excellent. For a 'standard' dvd, the video & audio quality is outstanding, not only do I repeatedly enjoy watching and listening to it, but I also use it as a 'demo' for my home cinema set up. Both DD & DTS are crystal clear, the depth & dynamic range is awesome, ( put the crystal glasses away & make sure your neighbours are out!, when John Clayton plucks a bass string, your sub-woofer will love it, but they won't ! ). It's also 16:9 widescreen and picture perfect. I am an avid collector of music DVD's, and I also, have not come across anything close to this picture and sound quality, it gives Blu-Ray a run for it's money. This is a GREAT music DVD with an artist at her best and a superb visual, and 5:1 audio, recording, so if you only buy one music DVD make sure it's this one, and give your eyes a visual treat,and your ears and surround system a full blown Hi-Fi workout!.

Quiet Nights
Quiet Nights

1.0 out of 5 stars diana 'kralls' through a very quiet night!, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Quiet Nights (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan, but totally agree with 'Aussie' reviewer. Have been waiting for the Blu-Ray DVD live concert to be released as track titles are 'standards' & should be good , but after listening to this I am not so sure. She really does sound dreary (perhaps it's due to hubby Elvis !, her music has got steadily worse since she met him !) But Hey, lets be positive perhaps the live concert versions of these great songs will be better. Although I don't think she will ever surpass her outstanding renditions/performance on her "Diana Krall live in Paris" dvd/cd.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2009 10:46 PM BST