Profile for jazzerS > Reviews

jazzerS

Wallflower
Wallflower

5.0 out of 5 stars ", 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Wallflower (Audio CD)
I'm glad to see the balance of the reviews posted is clearly positive. Many of the negative reviews criticise the album for what it is not; namely, DK singing jazz standards. It is always easy to criticise something for what it is not. It takes a bit more effort to adjust one's perception and to appreciate something for what it is. What I hear on this album is DK using her voice and her sensibilities to give us a really lovely reinterpretation of some popular songs. For me, "In my life", a great Beatles song, is here given one of the best renderings ever. So, if you want to hear DK sing jazz standards, don't buy this album. But, if you are willing to open your mind to the possibility that DK can give many different songs new life through her interpretation, listen, and, buy it. You won't be disappointed. Those of you who don't like it, are entitled to your opinions too, of course. But you might ask yourselves where do the walls you see between jazz and other songs exist? In reality, or in your mind? Might you have something to gain by opening your mind to something different? Personally, I love DK singing standards, and I love her interpretation of these songs as well.

TFA Rain Gauge
TFA Rain Gauge

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: TFA Rain Gauge (Garden & Outdoors)
Plain, simple, no nonsense and does the job well.

BELK iPhone 6 Purple Leather Case (4.7") - Premium Soft iPhone6 Leather Cover with Card Slots
Offered by Valentinus

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this purchase, 22 Oct. 2014
Very pleased with this purchase. Took a while to arrive, but it has a real quality feel, fits the phone nicely, very neat, and gives it good protection.

IK Multimedia iRig Guitar/Bass interface for iOS & Android
IK Multimedia iRig Guitar/Bass interface for iOS & Android

1.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, 18 Nov. 2012
I've had an IRig for about three months, and it has been a frustrating experience. From the outset I found I had a noisy signal from the guitar in both Amplitube and Garage Band on an iPad. A look round on the web suggested I wasn't the only person experiencing this problem. After trying various things I switched headphones and found that brought some improvement, at least when using the "clean Combo" in garage band, but there was still noise on several of the other amp models. I then decided to try playing through my amp. Ouch! The noise made the IRig unusable, and nothing I did (changing leads, fiddling with the noise gate, gain etc.) brought any improvement. Reluctantly I started to look round for something else, and after research found the Apogee Jam. Wish I'd done that in the first place.

You can use the IRig - from my experience, with a good pair of headphones and a lot of fiddling with the settings you can get rid of a lot of the noise. But if you want good sound quality, my advice would be to look elsewhere and spend a bit more.

Glad Rag Doll
Glad Rag Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off!!!, 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Glad Rag Doll (Audio CD)
OK if you want to listen to "A night in Paris" or "The Look of Love" (both of which are great, and I have them and listen to them) - well listen to them I guess! I applaud Diana for an album which is a slight departure from some of the things she has done before. I applaud her especially for looking beyond the classic female jazz vocalist songbook - which she has shown many times she can perform as well or better than the best. So if you want to hear Diana interpreting some different material, and doing it with her usual style and panache, then this album is for you. It is also for you if you like jazz and have a genuine appreciation for the intimate relationship between jazz and the blues. It is also for you if you like Diana's husky delivery, which suits some of this material really well.

No comment directly on some of the other reviews, but "pompous", "ignorant about the roots of jazz", not to mention "narrow minded" are comments that might apply to some of them. Really, what do some of you expect? That she will simply reprise the material she and others have already done more than once? She's an artist - she needs to grow. Great Diana, more please. I think you're great at the classics, and my respect for you as an artist has increased as a result of this album. Keep listening to the 78s!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 5:18 PM GMT