Profile for ReadyToRoll > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung S5360 Galaxy Y Sim Free Mobile Phone - Metallic Gray
Samsung S5360 Galaxy Y Sim Free Mobile Phone - Metallic Gray
Offered by safacomms

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow; poor reception; spend a bit more for better features., 2 Jan 2014
I've had this phone for over a year now and I wanted to comment on what I have found with the phone...

Advantages

* Light and small, perfect for pockets.
* It's basic, but it's still a smartphone so you can download (some) apps.

Disadvantages

* Slow. It can take between 5 and 10 seconds to catch up with what you want to do. I sometimes have to leave it in case it crashes, which it has done on a couple of occasions.
* Very low memory, even with an SD card. My available memory is constantly low because it is impossible to transfer apps to the expandable SD card so the main apps I have installed and updated, namely Facebook, Whatsapp and Youtube, take up the vast majority of the internal memory and leave no space for anything else. I have a 2GB SD card but because it is impossible to install the most common apps onto it, it is virtually untouched and has very little installed on it. This is obviously counter-productive when you consider it is a smart phone and cannot install and keep updated more than six apps at any one time. This is one of the most frustrating features about this phone.
* Poor phone reception. A bit of rain, being in a crowd of people (such as at a sporting event or festival) or being anywhere there's even a chance of losing signal, such as near a Tube station or tall building, causes the signal to fail miserably and can take quite a few minutes to come back. Sometimes it doesn't even come back and you have to turn the phone on and off again just to reset the phone signal. Another frustrating feature.
* Camera is only 2MP and the quality of photos taken at night are mostly very poor. Unless you're taking a photo on a clear, sunny day it's not worth taking photos with this phone.

This is a summary of my experiences over the past year and a bit and, personally speaking, I can't wait to get a new phone. It's OK and as an entry level smartphone does the job adequately which is why I've given it 2 stars rather than 1, but I would recommend looking at other brands and/or spending a bit more money so you don't experience the same as I have since I've had this phone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 2:44 AM GMT

Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Verb Tenses, Second Edition (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
by Dorothy Devney Richmond

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal! Best grammar book on the market., 8 Jan 2013
Learning English grammar at school is bad enough, but trying to learn the grammar of another language is even worse. What I love about this book and the others in the series is that they explain in plain English the fundamental workings of the language; after all, if you don't learn how to conjugate Spanish verbs, your sentences will be limited and you won't be able to express yourself properly and will sound every inch the gringo.

I have to admit that initially I struggled to understand what the author was trying to say and that it wasn't until I started gaining more experience with the language through Spanish friends and Spanish culture such as books, newspapers, TV, etc., that the information that I'd been trying to force into my brain finally started to make sense. Now, I can see exactly what the author is trying to explain. I'm just about to complete the second section and have one more to go but feel that this book has helped me immensely, especially as grammar is a bit of a dry subject and if you pick up a lot of grammar books on the market it can feel as if you're never going to learn it.

There's a train of thought that you need to learn the grammar first and then go out and learn the rest of the language, but in my opinion it's the other way round; get as much exposure as you can to the language and then when you finally tackle the grammar, it'll be a LOT easier because you'll already know what they're trying to say. I tried studying the grammar first and got nowhere, but after learning it through other means (Rosetta Stone was a big help), I was able to pick up this grammar book and learn the principles a lot quicker.

I like this book and the other in the series so much that I've bought the French versions, which I'll tackle some point in the coming months. Big thumbs up!

Daredevil (Director's Cut) [DVD]
Daredevil (Director's Cut) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck
Offered by BASE1_Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Director's Cut should be the only version on release..., 24 April 2012
This version is far superior to the theatrical one. It is much darker, the story is given much more of a chance to develop and doesn't feel as rushed, and is a much better movie as a result. I know Daredevil has its critics and doesn't reach the heights of Batman, Iron Man and Spiderman, but it's not too far off. It's only the script that lets it down somewhat, rather than the actors. It's an excellent movie nonetheless and one I recommend.

Rosetta Stone, Spanish (Spain), Version 4, TOTALe, Level 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 (Mac/PC)[OLD VERSION]

4.0 out of 5 stars Enough with the RS bashing. It's the best on the market.., 3 Mar 2012
Rosetta Stone gets a lot of unfair criticism on various review sites on the internet and it's usually from people who seem half-hearted about learning a language or expect it to be some magical pill that'll instantly give them the ability to speak another language. I wish some of these people would get real.

Learning another language takes a lot of time and effort. Simply studying the first level isn't enough, nor should you expect it to be. What Rosetta Stone does well is demystify the language you're learning and present it in everyday situations using what is essentially an expensive visual flash card system, one that for me works better than other methods.

I've nearly completed level two and feel that my Spanish level is improving all the time. I try and do an hour everyday, two if possible, plus watch some Spanish TV on the internet (Telemadrid.es is my favourite). Already, I'm starting to understand what's going on in some programmes and I've still got another three levels to go.

Rosetta Stone isn't perfect, but you know what? No product on the market is. In my opinion, Rosetta Stone is the best there is right now, a conclusion I've come to after using many other products such as Michel Thomas, numerous textbooks, Linguaphone, part-time evening courses at a local college (never again), plus others. It's the only product that has kept me motivated.

No product on the market right now is going to make you fluent in speaking your target language because they are all designed to improve your receptive skills (listening and reading). Only interacting with native speakers in the real world will bring fluency in speaking. I know after studying the first two levels that my speaking ability isn't going to be great when I've finished all five levels. This is simply because I don't have anybody to practice with and it's the spontaneity and thinking on your feet that unrehearsed real-life conversation brings that will ultimately improve my speaking fluency. However, I know that my listening, reading and pronounciation skills will be a solid intermediate level when I've completed all five levels. I can already read Spanish to a lower intermediate level with my listening skills not far behind.

The online activities are good, if a little light on content and a tad pricey, especially considering how expensive the initial product is. I really like the stories with audio and wish there were more. Maybe there will be at the higher levels.

It gets a little boring at times, which is when I'll watch some Spanish TV or listen to Spanish radio online to still keep me in the frame of mind of learning, without actively taking part. I'll then return to Rosetta Stone and this usually does the trick.

It's a comprehensive package that will improve your Spanish, if you're willing to put the work in on a regular basis. To all those who criticise Rosetta Stone so freely, I say complete at least three levels, preferably all five levels, then give your opinion. If your Spanish still hasn't improved, then by all means, moan til your heart's content. I'm pleased with what I have experienced so far.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 10:19 PM GMT

A Good Year
A Good Year
by Peter Mayle

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming read, an escape from the grey skies of England., 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Good Year (Paperback)
I saw the film before I read the book and whilst there are differences between the two, I found them both to be charming in their own way. Who doesn't dream of a perfect life in Provence where the only stress in life is whether to choose between a coffee, a glass of wine or pastis? This kind of book is never going to be a masterpiece, but so what? It's easy to read, enjoyable, light-hearted and ultimately feel-good, which is exactly how I like to feel after reading a book or watching a film. I'm only giving it three stars, as I feel four and five stars should be reserved for work that deserves it, but it is a perfect three stars as I got exactly what I wanted from it, a feel-good feeling.

Out of 10 - 7.5

The Prince Of Mist
The Prince Of Mist
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Glimpse of his future work., 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Prince Of Mist (Paperback)
Like many others, I read "The Shadow Of The Wind" and "The Angel's Game" before diving into this offering from Carlos Ruiz Zafon, his debut novel, and I very much enjoyed reading it. I've also recently finished reading "The Midnight Palace", his second novel, and it's easy to see the progression in his ideas and writing style from a young adult audience, which I guess means 14-18 year olds, to the adult target audience of his more recent work.

"The Prince Of Mist" is an easy to read novel that I finished reading in two days and whilst it didn't grip me as much as "The Shadow Of The Wind", it is an entertaining read that is a great introduction to Zafon's writing style. After reading the four books mentioned above, I'm starting to feel that his books are a tad predictable though. This isn't a major problem, but it would be nice to see a bit more diversity in his future efforts.

I gave this book three stars because it is aimed at a younger audience, which is reflected in the simpler style and vocabulary, and I like stories that have a bit more meat on the bone, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Shades of Grey
Shades of Grey
by Jasper Fforde

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, good but not his best., 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Shades of Grey (Paperback)
If you've never read anything by Jasper Fforde before this wouldn't be my recommendation as an introduction into his writing. Whilst it is an entertaining read, I don't feel it's his strongest book. Unlike many who have given it five stars, I feel that would be doing an injustice to his earlier work, especially the superb "The Eyre Affair" which I would give five stars, and believe in comparison that this is three and a half at best. There are times when it's just too much, too much to get your head around and it became hard work at times. By the end of the book, however, I was left wanting more and look forward to reading the sequels to this series. It's these mixed feelings that make me give it three and a half instead of three.

JCVD [2008] [DVD]
JCVD [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean-Claude Van Damme
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual Van Damme stuff - i.e. It's good., 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: JCVD [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
When you approach this film for the first time, you're going to have to change your expectations about a Van Damme film. If you're expecting lots of fighting, unrealistic scenes of things blowing up and generally poor acting and script, then be prepared to feel let down. Don't get me wrong, I like Van Damme's films as they're very easy to watch when you want to relax on the sofa and don't want to concentrate too much (or watching others like Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Seagal). However, this is Van Damme's attempt to do something different, a semi-autobiography on film, and for me he pulls it off. The script is sharp, the acting is surprising good, including JCVD, and the film has a few twists that kept me engaged and entertained. The fact that JCVD turns out to be more on the arthouse side rather than than Hollywood pleases me no end.

It annoys me when other people are so narrow-minded that they dismiss a foreign film outright just because it's not in Engish, as if reading subtitles is too much effort. So what if the film is in French? It's a good film. It also bugs me when people don't give someone like JCVD the chance to prove he can do something else outside of his comfort zone. I wonder whether JCVD could have done more with his career if he'd had better guidance from a decent agent or director. I guess we'll never know now.

Open your mind and see the film for what it is, and not what you want it to be. JCVD might just surprise and entertain you.

Ben L'Oncle Soul
Ben L'Oncle Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable talent! Spread the word..., 29 May 2010
This review is from: Ben L'Oncle Soul (Audio CD)
I first encountered Ben L'Oncle Soul on the French music programme 'Acoustic' (on Sky channel 799). I was hooked from the first few seconds of hearing him perform. At first, I thought he was American, but it turns out that he's actually French; he wouldn't have been out of place alongside other Motown greats back in the 60s/70s. He deserves to be known in the UK and throughout the rest of the English-speaking world. I really hope he gets some recognition over here in the UK, as he's the most original artist I've heard for a very long time. If you're bored of the music that's in the charts these days, especially of the bland hip-hop/r & b and the alternative/indie scene which is now actually mainstream and frankly boring, pick up a copy of this album and treat your ears and soul to some quality, fresh music. Check him out on Youtube or Myspace as well to get a preview of the kind of music on the album, I promise that you'll be hooked just like I am.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2010 8:08 PM BST

Lever l'ancre
Lever l'ancre

5.0 out of 5 stars A shame they're unknown over here., 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Lever l'ancre (MP3 Download)
I downloaded this album yesterday and haven't stopped listening to it. I came across them whilst looking for music on Google from Canada, or more specifically, Quebec (I'm looking to move out there). I don't speak French so I have no idea what they're actually singing about, but I love the music. It wouldn't be out of place if it was on XFM or a similar radio station, but because it's in French, I don't ever see it happening, which is a real shame. My favourite songs are 'Je Pense a Toi', 'Paradis Artificiels' and 'Vega'.

If you want to listen to something different yet oddly familiar, check out this album. Don't let the fact it's in French put you off.

Page: 1 | 2