Profile for Michael Kaye > Reviews

Content by Michael Kaye

Michael Kaye "mikekaye4" (Norwich)

Art of the Portrait (Big Art)
Art of the Portrait (Big Art)
by Norbert Schneider

5.0 out of 5 stars Good illustrated book about classical portraiture, 17 April 2016
A good account of portrait painting and drawing in the 15th to 17th centuries in Europe. I chose this book because it has some very good illustrations of the art works which are discussed and I liked how it was grouped into themes rather than a straight chronological order.

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate
This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really understands what climate change means, 15 April 2015
Naomi Klein makes a compelling and passionate case for actually doing something about climate change. The book is all the better for the human touch, although she gives plenty of evidence to back up her views. She deals with the paralysis that many of us have when confronted with the prospect of climate change, the feeling that there is nothing we can do. She points out that many individuals and groups are doing something about it, while acknowledging that these are difficult times to effect such major changes.
The task of actually doing something about climate change in time before we reach major tipping points in the environment is daunting but Klein conveys an affirming optimism that human beings can find a way providing we have the political will. However she is aware that we may be too slow or reluctant to make changes and this book is very timely in stating its case and showing that we do have choices.

The Scapegoat Complex (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts)
The Scapegoat Complex (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts)
by Sylvia Brinton Perera

5.0 out of 5 stars Good analysis of what being a scapegoat really means, 16 Mar. 2015
This book has an in-depth analysis of the scapegoat complex. We often talk about someone being a scapegoat but often fail to understand what this really means. It is at times a hard read but it offers many insights into a condition that many people carry. Be warned it uses a lot of psychotherapeutic 'jargon', although there is a helpful glossary of Jungian terms at the back.
Perera describes the origin of the scapegoat as a sacrifice made by the community and how it developed in more recent times into a pathology. She then relates it to how the scapegoat complex affects the people it is imposed upon. Someone who is scapegoated will carry blame of others, as people dump their shadow side on another person. The scapegoat can develop an inflated view of themselves as a victim and even as a saviour. The last section about the scapegoat archetype is insightful into how an increased awareness of both good and evil in a person can help resolve the complex and bring about self-acceptance.

Memories Dreams Reflections
Memories Dreams Reflections
by C. G. Jung

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful account of Jung's life and work, 18 Nov. 2014
Although officially this is not an autobiography as it was recorded and edited by Aniela Jaffé this is the closest one gets to a personal account of Jung's life. This is an intimate journey through a great man's psyche. What I like so much about Jung is his humanity, his honesty with himself about his failings and his successes and his depth of perception. He shows a sense of wonder at both the inner and outer worlds and the mystery of existence.
It is not an easy book to read because it is intense but it rewards the effort made in following Jung's journey. One might need access to a couple of language dictionaries and a working knowledge of the Bible and some European literature to understand the book more. It is his account and one might feel that Jung just writes about himself but this is his subject. He rejects being a sage or wise. All he asks is that we too try to follow our own paths.

Game of Thrones: Season 4
Game of Thrones: Season 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuing to be one of the best series on TV, 17 Oct. 2014
Having seen the previous three seasons on BluRay back to back I could not wait for the discs of Season 4 to be released next February. I went for the Amazon Instant Video HD set.
This season is up to the high standards of the previous ones. Game of Thrones continues as one of the best series on TV, with high production values. There are great actors (I have worked with a few of them in a previous theatre life), high quality scripts and dramatic cinematography. Although I have read all the Game of Thrones books published so far this does not detract from enjoying the series. There are differences but the books are huge and the necessary editing makes for exciting episodes. The characters are great, larger than life but always believable.
Roll on Season 5!

The Psychology of C. G. Jung (A Yale Paperbound)
The Psychology of C. G. Jung (A Yale Paperbound)
by Irving G. Jacobi

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful introduction to Jung's work, 21 Aug. 2014
I was recommended this book by my psychotherapist as a good introduction to the work of Jung. Jacobi is very good at summarising and describing Jung's radical approach to understanding the psyche and working with it to become more fully human. Jung does not just give a treatment method but more a path to understanding and insight.
It is not an easy read because the human mind is a very complex area and Jung's concepts take time and effort to understand. I suggest reading the book in small sections in order to take in what is being said. The first sections deal with the theoretical aspects of Jung's psychology and lead to the rest of the book which discusses the practical aspects. As always, the case studies described are very illuminating.
Note to Amazon about its product description: the author is Jolande Jacobi. She was one of Jung's long time associates. Who is Irving G Jacobi? I have tried searching this name with no results. If anyone knows how the confusion of names arose I would be interested to know. It confused me when I first searched for this book.

The Inner World of Trauma (Near Eastern St.;Bibliotheca Persica)
The Inner World of Trauma (Near Eastern St.;Bibliotheca Persica)
by Donald Kalsched

5.0 out of 5 stars A perceptive book on trauma and its impact on the human spirit, 6 Jun. 2014
I have previously reviewed Kalsched’s later book, Trauma and the Soul. I have now read this book, which is its predecessor and where Kalsched starts to develop his ideas of trauma and how the person manages this. There was no disadvantage in reading this after the later book.

There is a certain amount of technical psychotherapeutic language in this book but it becomes understandable in the context. The mind is a complex subject and not definable in pure scientific terms. Hence there will be a valid poetic licence in describing the inner world of trauma in terms of fantasy, dreams and archetypal stories. Kalsched brings out how the psyche responds to external trauma by invoking the self care system which protects the human spirit of the victim. He shows that this self care system can turn against the person in its need to protect the soul in later life.

This book is not purely theoretical and technical but succinctly makes its argument through both clinical examples of trauma in Kalsched’s patients and wonderful accounts and interpretations of some classic fairy tales, which I found very moving. I can understand now why so many of these stories have an archetypal resonance in me when I have read them myself and to my children. We have all lost, we have all found, we have all transformed at times.

I would recommend this book for anyone who is in therapy, especially if this therapy includes dream work. We all carry some trauma and the book is a valuable tool in understanding the process of trauma and its possible resolution.

Trauma and the Soul
Trauma and the Soul
by Donald Kalsched

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful account of the insight into trauma and how psychotherapy helps redeem the soul, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Trauma and the Soul (Paperback)
This wonderful book was recommended by my psychotherapist. Kalsched brings both great therapy experience and human sensitivity and empathy to his subject. I can speak as one in therapy and not as a practitioner. It has enlightened the process for me. Kalsched evokes a Jungian perspective, using archetypes and dream work, and he interprets areas of human experience in ways that other therapists might regard as unscientific. However Kalsched shows there is an art in psychotherapy and demonstrates the need to look inward to the unconscious as well as outward to external experience.

I was very taken by his use of myths and stories to examine the human mind. I personally responded to his interpretations of Dante and The Little Prince and other stories. He shows the power and illumination of human experiences that some of us would call religious.

I lean towards Buddhism so at first I struggled with the concept of a soul but Kalsched shows how we can see it as a vital, animating subjective experience. Our world exists beyond just material forces. This is an optimistic book as it shows the resilience of the human soul and its capacity to become whole again even after severe trauma. I would recommend it to anyone in therapy or anyone interested in a human and Jungian approach to psychotherapy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 8:55 PM BST

Microsoft Office 365 Home, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac)
Microsoft Office 365 Home, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good way of making the most of Microsoft Office, 12 Mar. 2014
I have just renewed my subscription for this product. I find Microsoft software expensive but necessary as it is used so widely, especially Office. Office 365 helps minimise the cost and it is useful to be able to put the licence on different computers. I like the cloud based backup.
I usually use a Mac and I increasingly am thinking of moving to the Mac versions of these products, (which now come free with new Macs). Compared with other users I use products like Word in a relatively uncomplex way so I could change to Apple software. At present I will stay with Office 365 for the rest of the licence period and enjoy its benefits.

The Penguin Guide to the 1000 Finest Classical Recordings: The Must-Have CDs and DVDs

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing new edition, 16 Jan. 2013
I have been buying the Penguin Guides to Classical Music for many years. I have found their authoritative and perceptive reviews of music very helpful and rewarding in guiding my choice of recordings in many different fields of classical music. However this new edition is a bit of a disaster. For a newcomer to music, using this guide would not make you realise that Bach wrote the Well Tempered Clavier as there is no mention of it. Why so many minor composers while leaving out some of the leading 20th century ones?
In a more digital world why could not Penguin just produce a giant digital edition? I bought this Guide for my Kindle and I am not aware of any size limits on Kindle files. Alternatively they could create an online presence as it would be one site where I would not object to a paywall.
I cannot recommend this guide unless it is used alongside other guides as a starter or talking to well informed staff in a good music shop. This sadly is becoming increasingly rare but I try to buy my CDs from these specialist shops to support their knowledge and learning.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 10:24 AM BST