Profile for Mr. Roy Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. Roy Williams

Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Secret Kingdom: 1: Enchanted Palace
Secret Kingdom: 1: Enchanted Palace

5.0 out of 5 stars TINKering, 11 Jun. 2013
I was mainly interested in the pictures accompanying the story.Some authors neglect this important aspect of children's books.I immediately thought of Tinkerbell when I saw the pixie on a leaf at the start of the book.Her name is Trixiebelle.The three girls in this story are Ellie,Summer and Jasmine and seem to be in the last year of primary school so that makes them around 10 years old.The author,Rosie banks has paid a reasonable amount of attention to how the girls dress and the half page drawings are reasonably detailed which,IMO,is quite important.If the readers are to identify with the adventures,they need to be able to study the girls in detail to choose which one they would most like to be.There are some nice side drawings depicting one particulars girl the page is chronicling.I needed to review this book myself with a view to buying it as a gift for my niece so I wanted to check the story for content as well as the readability.The story holds up well enough and the puzzles they face are interesting,so for a particular age group,this is a good book.I am a graphic novels fan myself so I would have preferred a drawing on EVERY page,of course,but hey,tradition says otherwise and drawing is a lot more difficult that typing.My criteria for a good book may not be yours.

Anne of Green Gables Stories: 12 Books, 142 Short Stories, Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams, Rainbow Valley, Rilla of Ingleside, Chronicles and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Green but not new, 29 May 2013
I know I really enjoyed reading about Anne with an 'e' and her take on her life and her world.
Being adopted is traumatic enough but to be 'wrongly' adopted makes your heart sink.The description of how Anne gets accepted and overcomes her initial rejection really does make the reader root for her.Nice and chatty with eye opening dreamy descriptions of the landscape,Anne,who gradually becomes 'Anne,of Greengables' manages to convey an interesting and absorbing tale.I've read a review saying Anne of Greengables knocks spots off Little women by Louisa May Alcott,this gives a false impression that somehow Little women is lacking in some way but really - they are equally enjoyable.I was compelled to write this review to complement both talented writers and their creations.
I've also bought videos of both storys too,though Little women was an animation.Which reminds me,nobody has mentioned Pippi Longstocking as another good girl heroine story/fantasy,of which I have an animated film.That leads me to remember Heidi as well,strewth,how long is this review going to be.....?! So,IMO,collect and read them all !
The Little Princess,etc.Ok.....,I'm done.

Mizuki ep.2 (Manga)
Mizuki ep.2 (Manga)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked !, 28 May 2013
Having bought volume one,I'd forgotten about this series but when browsing Amazon,I noticed this new volume and was immediately impressed with the inside front page,a very trendy Mizuki with a VERY pissed looking Sekito - excellent,I want one ! The first page of this new story opens with Mizuki slamming open some dojo doors to shout to sekito.Just 5 panels later,Mizuki's a demon and not a demon to fight in sight !! Well,that's action for you.....,great.Really though,who wouldn't want to buy this ? Simialr to the previous book,short but good story and nice low Kindle price,all good combinations IMO ! I think I'm addicted.....,oh well,there are worse fates - apparently !

Mizuki ep.1 (Manga)
Mizuki ep.1 (Manga)

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenagers,A ?, 28 May 2013
Well,this story is actually a new twist on the old theme of demon slayers.The good part is that because two families have to work together,one has to provoke the other to succeed.Mizuki is the reluctant demon and her childhood friend and school buddy,Sekito,has to enrage her to transform Mizuki into a formidable demon destroyer,and together they banish demons.The awkward situations around Mizuki not wanting to be a slayer and Sekito seriously needing to fulfill his potential,abound,of course.The artwork is very good and the dialogue brilliant.There are some excellent mini panels,sweat drop moments with quite a few great sighs and fatigue clouds.You could say this is one of the newer manga that is trying hard to represent emotion and succeeding rather well,IMO.So,there's an extra layer to the story,making good use of the very visual format.Volume 1 is only a short story,but equally,the Kindle version is inexpensive so,good value for money....,I think.

Blazin Barrels: v. 8 (Blazin Barrels)
Blazin Barrels: v. 8 (Blazin Barrels)
by Min-Seo Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but goldie, 26 May 2013
The title's a play on the characters in the story.This series has been around for years and I never got around to reading all the volumes I had ( 1-10 ) but minus vol #8.So after eventually reading up to vol #7,I thought long and hard whether or not to get this volume but decided to go ahead as it was so cheap.I'm glad I did as the story takes an unexpected twist which couldn't have been anticipated.The question is now,should I but beyond vol #10 ? Ho hum.

Genuine Sony Ericsson BST-33 Standard Battery
Genuine Sony Ericsson BST-33 Standard Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine and useful., 26 May 2013
Sometimes it does pay to get a genuine replacement battery.Before I bought this,I chose a cheaper alternative and paid the price - it went flat really quickly with hardly any use.This one however does the same as my original - it lasts 3 days with medium to high use - excellent,just as you'd expect.Sony wouldn't be able to sell a phone if the batteries were rubbish,A ?!

A Little Princess
A Little Princess

5.0 out of 5 stars A little madam ?, 12 May 2013
This review is from: A Little Princess (Kindle Edition)
No,not a little madam but you would be forgiven for thinking that she might have been.This little princess grew up in India and was used to servants and getting her own way without knowing that she was privileged.It's only on arrival at a boarding school in England that things start to go slightly awry.Set up as an example of well to do and supposedly well provided for,Sarah is informed that her rich soldier Papa had died leaving her penniless and in the sole care of the owner of the boarding school,miss Minchin.This edition gives us more details about the two girls Sarah befriends and allows for a more involved and interesting story.What drew me back to this story was seeing a modern paperback release of this title showing three girls around a lone table with moonlight shining in through a high window,even though I knew the story,I wanted to reread it.I couldn't find my original book but downloaded this onto my Kindle from Amazon for £0.49 because it's specifically re written to satisfy the demand from previous readers to further enlighten us to the roles of Becky the servant girl and Ermengarde a reluctant student and their relationship with Sarah.Not a bad read really although I thought it got a bit too sugary sweet at the end.Ah well,it is for children after all and I'm middle aged.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Snazzy, 16 April 2013
Considering how big DVD players used to be,this is very small in comparison,just 23w x 26d x 6h cm.This little beauty can upscale regular DVds and has a range of HDMI display resolutions - 567,720,1080i and 1080p.The sound can be transferred using the supplied HDMI cable or the option exists for 5.1 surround sound.Not bad for half the normal price.This great player is multi region too - WHAT - no way,yes way !I use this device for region 1 AND U&K region 2.So,if you too want a really brilliant DVD player with above average specification,grab one of these before they all go !
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sony Ericsson BST-33 Battery - Fits Satio, Aino, G900 & Others
Sony Ericsson BST-33 Battery - Fits Satio, Aino, G900 & Others

4.0 out of 5 stars High capacity,low output, 29 Mar. 2013
This battery is low priced and gives about 1/2 the life of my previous one.It's a 'B' grade item you would buy from a pound shop.it's a 1000 mAh rated battery where as the old one was 950.So,the screen may be brighter,but that's not the point.It will do as a back up I suppose,but I still need to buy a 'good' one to use daily.

Behind the Masque - A Megatokyo Endgames short story
Behind the Masque - A Megatokyo Endgames short story

5.0 out of 5 stars Mega cool, 28 Mar. 2013
Even if nothing else,I enjoyed the cover art,but 77p for a short story by a favourite manga creator is definitely money well spent.There are several drawings too.How can it get better than that ? Unless it's a short story with none of those word things and only those great drawing things ! Definitely,this guy's got what it takes.When it comes to fantasy worlds,some of the place names can be a bit cheesy,but hey,they've got to be called something,A,? Nah,I'm not criticizing,just a joke really.I certainly don't want to discourage Fred,The great,far from it,encourage,more please,more.Good story telling based on excellent imagination and l33t skillz.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16