Profile for Mr. Roy Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. Roy Williams

Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Iron Man 3 [DVD]
Iron Man 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so robust, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Iron Man 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I like the Iron man idea but was reluctant to rush out and by the 3rd DVD. waited for a second hand copy and I'm pleased I did.The film is OK but it's plain that the ideas are getting thin.This time around,the film relied more heavily on special effects rather than story.Gweneth looked good when she first appears.As to the robot army....,well,I suppose it had to come.I know it's fantasy,but to hold an audience,some credibility must be maintained.So,it was good and at times funny entertainment.I'm not sure what I expected but I hoped for something a little more robust on the story front.Ah well,maybe in Iron man 4....,ho hum.

Blood Ties Game PC
Blood Ties Game PC
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking body, 4 Oct 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Blood Ties Game PC (Computer Game)
I've read some of the Blood ties books and thoroughly enjoyed them and was looking forward to this game hoping to become more involved with the characters.However,that wasn't the case,sadly.The game is just a regular hidden objects hunt and is absolutely nothing to do with vampires or detective work other than finding objects in a detective's office.There are 10 named files of suspicious individuals with a paragraph of history and that's it !
There is no real link to the people or to any story what so ever.No spooky scenes or atmospheric music even !
I guess that's the reason it's so cheap - no content.No attempt has been made to include any interesting parts of the series or genre.None,nada,zilch.So,was I drained at the end ? Yes,it was disappointing,repetitive and unrewarding.I've played other hidden objects games and they are packed with challenges,plots and detailed scenes to reward the player for figuring out the many puzzles,but not this one.I've actually seen this game in 99p store,now I know why,ho hum.

Planetes - Vol. 5 [DVD]
Planetes - Vol. 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Taniguchi

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep,5 out of 5, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Planetes - Vol. 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Or should that be 5 out of six for the series ?! Anyway,I'm pleased to see Hildegarde on the disc cover.She might well be a part timer in the series but packs quite a punch.Definitely punching above her weight as does Claire.Oddly though,both their profiles are inside disc 4's cover.Right,so what's disc 5 got to recommend it then ?Well how about sabotage of the tandem mirror ?! That grab your attention ? Together with the possible termination of the recovery crew,this is an exciting few episodes.So,with other reshuffling going on,there's some old rivalries surfacing.It's a little odd that a simple series like this has the power to grip an audience for so long.Still,that's Planetes for you.Surprisingly interesting and absorbing,I'd say.Thank goodness no more blunders in space although there's a few in the office.Yep,the usual suspects are up to much the same shinnanigans as before allowing us further glimpses into their lives.It's not high drama space pirates but there are pirates involved,communication terrorists.There's enough to be getting on with without rushing too fast towards the final disc.Great stuff,keep it coming.

Planetes - Vol.6 [DVD]
Planetes - Vol.6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Taniguchi

5.0 out of 5 stars Plane good, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Planetes - Vol.6 [DVD] (DVD)
I wonder what the title was in Japanese,because it sure doesn't give anything away in English.Planetes is junk SC-Fi.That's not a comment on the quality but the theme of this series.A diverse team travel around their 'local' area of space removing harmful or dangerous bits and pieces of man made debris.I must admit to wishing the series continued but I guess that would be just going over old ground.The characters were good and the story very intriguing.Lots of dilemmas in space as you might expect with some pretty explosive scenes to add tension and drama.I liked it and wanted more.The story petered out with the established characters being replaced with younger counterparts and so the circle of life begins again.Some good rivalry and political manoeuvring keeps the episodes rolling as we get to know and mostly like the main characters.I think it was and is a great series that isn't too fast paced but slips along nicely enough.Yep,I'll miss seeing how they all get on with their lives but it ends pretty well and is rather satisfying too.So,I was introduced by a reviewer's recommendation and I'll recommend it too.Nice one Goro Taniguchi,thanks.

Dokkoida: Complete Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dokkoida: Complete Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew !, 23 Aug 2013
Talk about fast paced and whacky,strewth ! Very funny too.This is a faithful conversion from the Manga with a few differences to take advantage of the medium.Colours are pretty good too.Neraloid Girl is my favourite because of the attitude and costume.I really like the way we sometimes see her eyes through her visor.It's an interesting twist on the glasses 'angle',ha,ha.And Dokkoida being referred to as Diaper Boy.(why has he got such big pants?) Well,it makes him funny,silly.It's nice to see Ms Ogiwara animated.I liked the Manga a lot but I only had the first two books and the rest of the series was more expensive than the Anime so I tried the DVD.I do actually prefer the Manga.The Anime is soo fast and furious.Tanpopo is pretty cool,trying to motivate AND sustain Suzuo.Heck,the whole series is good ! This is a great interpretation of an 'Alien' invasion.Mixed in with outrageous villains and over the top super heroes and heroines.That's the Galaxy federation police for you.They just don't care as long as they get to test out power suits to determine which is best in actual combat situations.Yeah,right ! Thrown together in the same boarding house to save Federation expenses,both villains and heroes are living alongside each other and,seemingly,unaware of that fact to the apparent disbelief of GFP,or should that be GXP ? Who comes up with these ideas ? Yu Yagami.silly and I'm glad he does,it's a scream ! Original concept and nicely.........er.......documented.We're doomed,doomed I tell you !

Chobits 2: Empty City [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Chobits 2: Empty City [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Rie Tanaka
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassing, 23 Aug 2013
Well,I know this is a popular series but I thought there were just too many scenes of Hideki quirming,either with embarrassing thoughts or situations.There,I've said it ! Initially,I thought - no,I hoped that it would be a touching interpretation of the Manga,but sadly,No.IMO,there was scope and potential but it was never realised,shame.I've delayed getting involved with this series thinking it would be too 'girly'.Well,for me,it was.Clamp certainly hit upon a great premise for an involved story about whether a programmed android would be more preferable to young people than the real thing.The surprising thing about the series is regarding how you switch on a female version.Is it revealed how a male android is 'activated' ?
Anyway,going about repeating 'underpants' was VERY wearing,geddit ? Wearing,ha,ha.And what's wrong with saying 'knickers',anyway ?!Ah well,I was disappointed.I'm not quite sure what I did want but I know it wasn't this.I didn't think much of the voices either.There were loads of holes in the plot about charging as if the idea was an after thought.One of the reasons I tried the Anime was because I'd read a review saying that the charging scene was 'touching',oops,done it again.When Chi,or is it Chii,awakens and registers Hideki's warmth.But it was pants,compared to Angelic layer when Hikaru awakens after being initialised ! NO comparison ! Angelic layer was more innocent and,for me,more meaningful.I was hoping for more of the same from Chobits,but it didn't deliver.Ah well,I bought second hand so no biggie,I guess.I wanted more....,what did I want ?.....Yes,MORE.So,unless I can pick up the rest of the series VERY cheap,I won't be returning.I've only got 4 of the 8 books of the manga too.Should I get the rest ? .....I'm not sure.I've got the DVD series of Angelic layer and am buying the omnibus of the manga.I can't recommend Chobits,the anime.Now,of course,you want to see and judge for yourself,don't you ? Well,go ahead but don't pay too much,or you'll regret it,is my advice.Try Angelic layer which is brilliant from start to finish ! then you'll see the standard I was expecting from Chobits.There are some good bits,obviously,like when Chii lands on a power pole and when Hideki dresses her in his baggy clothes but that's my point.You limp from a really good crisp moment to the next which,at times,seems an awfully long way between.Oh,and when Hideki catches Chii over the canal when she 'throws a wobbly'.An intriguing concept is that Chii is really heavy when unactivated but very light otherwise.Is this Clamp's preoccupation with weight,perhaps ? So,as my rating suggests,it's OK,but certainly not 'satisfying'.

Dead Man's Cove (Laura Marlin Mysteries 1)
Dead Man's Cove (Laura Marlin Mysteries 1)
by Lauren St John

3.0 out of 5 stars Blighted, 3 Aug 2013
I grew up reading Enid Blyton so wanted to read a modern story for children.Because it won the Blue peter ward I was particularly interested.However,my first disappointment was the lacklustre pictures.Come on Lauren,kids want to see quality and detail.I've almost always been let down by shoddy illustrations in English books.IMO,it would be better not to have any pictures if the 'artist' isn't prepared to make more of an effort.My generation were condemned for enjoying comics because they were 'seen' as a poor comparison to the written word.It's no wonder with under par artists like David Dean !There's a duplicate picture too - how cheap.Is this really what you think of your audience ?! Now,Avalon by Rachel Roberts sets the standard I want to support.I'm glad I can choose.
The story is ok I guess but there were one or two words I had to look up which spoils the read.If kids don't understand something they will just skip it and miss parts of the story.The opening paragraph was good enough to entice me to read further but I didn't like the constant use of street names and it felt like filler after a while,shame.I also think more could have been included regarding personalising Laura's room.We were given an insight into what Laura was allowed to do but that was never developed,shame again.Less streets,more posters ! (as in Anne of Green Gables)Now there's another excellent read.Maybe I'm just spoiled - plus I've gone over to graphic novels so my expectations are probably different to some.There were some good descriptions of Skye and how Laura hugged and petted him but I noticed no real mention of the cost of feeding such a large and energetic dowg plus no swimming in the sea - how strange.No,sorry,I can't say it was a satisfying read.Yep,there are some good bits but equally, there are some bad.I don't mind praising a book if it's good but not if it could do better.7/10 See me !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2013 4:30 PM BST

Oh My Goddess! Volume 24
Oh My Goddess! Volume 24
by Kosuke Fujishima

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes your heart race, 31 July 2013
So,who didn't want to know the outcome of the race then,huh ?!Kosuke is just sooo talented ! The art is perfect.There are some fantastic 'half' panels that have a greater impact than a full one...,is that even possible ?! Yep,a fifth Goddess and a plethora of angels.Fujishima sure has struck a gold with this series.I hope he's pleased that some of us are simply addicted and can't get enough ! Hey,I'm not complaining,I pick up most of his titles second hand so I'm not breaking the bank for my fix.The range of characters is phenomenal ! Everyone of 'em's a winner.On page 138 where the Goddess's angels are having a get together and poor 'old' Skuld is excluded,very touching,you do feel for her.Megumi and Keichi's Mum and Dad are nicely different and unpredictable,another two great characters.I find that I enjoy the storys more when Chihiro's in them.
So,same as always - 10/10 and recommended reading for anyone with eyes !

4 Items (4x T1281 Black) printing Black Ink Cartridges compatible for epson stylus S22 SX125 SX130 SX420W SX425W SX430W SX438W SX440W SX445W & OFFICE BX305F BX 305 FW BX305FW Plus printers
Offered by AA+inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fulfilled, 28 July 2013
I've just bought four black replacement Epsom ink cartridges and experienced the oft reported 'unrecognised cartridge' display but I'd like to suggest a couple of ways to get them 'accepted'.First,is to remember that they are re inked cartridges and have been handled before.This is important because sometimes there are finger prints or residue on the contact strips.It's always a good idea to carefully wipe this strip with a clean cloth or a tissue with a little white spirit to ensure a good,clean contact.Next is,even if the printer still reports'not recognised',close the cartridge box and switch off the machine and then switch off at the socket to drain the power to the logic circuits.This seems to reset the start up routine which then clears the error report regarding the new cartridge/s and allows for the printer to enter the 'now charging' sequence which is reassuringly correct !So I acknowledge this is an annoying pain but considering the cost savings,is really a small price to pay.I mean - £1 per cartridge,I'm not complaining,I'm happy.

Dorothea, Volume 2
Dorothea, Volume 2
by Cuvie

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot !, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Dorothea, Volume 2 (Paperback)
This is an expensive series but you get a few brilliant colour pages at the start of the book.The cover is very dynamic and was impossible for me to resist ! Way back in 2006/7 I paid £10 for each volume up to #4.It's based on a re interpretation of Joan of Arc with Dorothea as the Witch of Mjolnir, a fictitious German town in the middle ages.She grows up in a protected environment because she is one of only 12 or so children that are so different they worry the locals.She is described as Albino but with red eyes.So,pale skin,white hair but not necessarily second sight although her mentor,Grandma,seems to have.The story begins innocently enough with Dorothea receiving sword training from an ex soldier,until a childhood 'friend' returns from being a mercenary soldier and FAILS to recount any storys.This infuriates Dorothea as she can't leave the town and relied on Gyurk to tell her what the outside world was like.The reason seems to be that Gyurk doesn't want to disillusion Dorothea as to the gruesome nature of war but keep her safe and unaffected from dangerous events which seem to be coming closer.It's a time of feuds and area power struggles where groups seek to fight with the 'Blessing' of church or state so naturally demonise their opponents.So,due to some internal wrangling and political intrigue,Dorothea decides to use her formidable skills to push back the increasing threat of take over as a companion soldier to Gyurk.She picks up a few enemies along the way,of course,but also more than a few followers as she advances through the ranks of the army she has chosen to join.There are some excellent battle scenes and the usual embarrassing moments of a woman in an army with all the split and changing loyalties of war thrown in to keep you turning the pages.The artwork is brilliant,of course,with marvelous use of shade and light to show off Dorothea's colouring which is a central part of the story.During the fighting,Dorothea uses some Ninja skills and soon after displays her feminine side to keep the whole thing a balanced Manga ! A lot of attention has been paid to the way Dorothea dresses considering she wears chain mail with leather and high boots.The Parental advisory sticker is due to the bloody battle scenes,not fan service ! It's a good read with some fast paced action coupled with teen romance against a background of Witch hunts and Religious bigotry.I don't think everybody will enjoy this series and it isn't well known but there is absolutely nothing to be said against the books apart from the cost.Would I sell my books to give you a chance to pick one or two up cheap........heck NO !
Comment Comment | Permalink