Profile for Mr. Roy Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. Roy Williams

Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
A Bug's Life [VHS] [1999]
A Bug's Life [VHS] [1999]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great film. The only 'down' side is it being ..., 20 Aug. 2014
It's a great film.The only 'down' side is it being a VHS cassette.
It constantly has to track the sound which means if you're listening with
headphones,it's a nuisance when the sound goes from ear to ear.
Still,it was second hand and I really enjoyed the film so I guess
overall,it still gets 5 stars.I'm trying to collect all the Pixar Disney films.
That company has just gone from strength to strength.
More power to their elbow,so to speak.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2015 4:39 AM GMT

Legends of Zita the Spacegirl
Legends of Zita the Spacegirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Zita is only stranded,not defeated !, 25 July 2014
This is a very good graphic novel for all ages and genders,it's simply brilliant !
This volume attempts to turns our hero into a zero,I'm afraid.Poor old Zita.
Still,being Zita,she'll no doubt come up with a plan to reverse her..,er...,fortunes.
She's dumped Piper,or was it the other way round...?
Anyway,Zita meets a new and VERY helpful ally ?
As with the previous book,not everything is that simple,thank goodness,otherwise we
wouldn't have a series of the Great Zita.
So,yep,she zips around space but in this book,she draws the attention of the 'Authorities'.
Some of this unwanted attention is due to Zita's actions but not all.
Sometimes it's just being in the wrong place at the right time ! If you see what I mean.
You know,to get involved in even more great adventures....,Go Zita...,My hero !
Oh,I forgot to mention the fantastic artwork and the vivid colours and the brilliant dialogue.
And the great characters and overall story.There,I've done it.
Don't believe Me ? Please,read the book and see if I'm wrong.
I DARE you !

Starting Point 1979-1996
Starting Point 1979-1996
by Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars The history of a genius., 18 July 2014
Yes,a very good and entertaining read about how a genius has to strive to overcome prejudice and opposition to be able to enrich beyond measure the rest of the world.I for one am very grateful for his renowned determination and vision.Hayao Miyazaki has certainly brought many hours of absolute joy and entertainment to my life.
Following my reading of this wonderful book,I re watched all Studio Ghibli films to experience the techniques mentioned in his interviews.In the original Japanese format,of course.So that's even more hours of joy to be thankful for...YAY Miyazaki !
It was good to also learn about the origins of Nausicaa and the trials that were overcome to bring us this amazing story.
I went straight to Amazon to get the original manga Box set.Luck me..,I'm nearly the happiest person in the known Universe !
I must be in the top 10..,surely ?!
Anyway,the style and questions at the interviews Miyazaki attended were very revealing for me and I enjoyed some blistering replies ! There appear to be some commentators/reviewers who don't seem to appreciate an honest or heartfelt opinion.Sour grapes,if you ask me.You can't fault a man who readily documents and admits his own shortcomings.I admire him.
An excellent book if you want to know more about how a master craftsman goes about creating a masterpiece.
Obviously,as Hayao readily admits,it takes a team to complete the film but the ideas have to come from someone.
This book reveals where and how those gems came from and the development process.
That's what I wanted and that's what I got.
I must be in the top 9..,surely ?

Return of Zita the Spacegirl, The
Return of Zita the Spacegirl, The

5.0 out of 5 stars it's brilliant.., 18 July 2014
Yep,it's brilliant..,again !
Smashing characters and fascinating story,nothing has been left out.
I was hoping,near the end of the book,that it would say 'to be continued'.....,sadly not..,boo hoo.
I love graphic novels and this was an amazing find,good old Ben Hatke.(and family)
Be wary of having 4 daughters though,'cos it seems you may be forced to create a graphic novel series.
Still,if it was good enough for the mighty Egyptians..,it's good enough for little ol' me,I love 'em !
I must admit to being a little disturbed at one point when Zita appeared to be beaten down after working in the mines.
But hey,that was just a trick from a genius writer to pull the wool over our eyes before.....,POW !
Zita was back to her feisty self again,saving this,that and the others too...,.marvelous stuff,I want more..
and when do I want it....,Yes,NOW !!
I'm pleased that Joseph got to join in the adventure,we thought he was..,er...,gone.
But NO ! The 'deception' (blech !) was a master stroke that had me fooled,I can tell you.It was soo genuine.
Piper and Madrigal getting back together,who would have thought ?
I also like the spark of recognition of the Leviathan when Zita pulled off one of it's power cords...,nice touch..,ahem.
I liked the whole book !
But there were some 11/10 moments,that's all.
Zita being yanked over by her chains and noticing the Ghost.
Oh..,and the charges......a pattern emerges...,fantastic.
Oh..oh..,and the amazing Floof gun..,Oh Come On !!
I could easily go on.....and on..,but to save me the trouble.....,please read the novel.
This volume also contains the very entertaining origins of Zita,the crime....,ah,no..,the Space girl ! (with costume)
Which reminds me..,the evolution of Femur and Raggy.Hoo boy,has this book got the lot or what ?!

NAUSICAA O/T VALLEY O/T WIND BOX SET (C: 1-0-1)
NAUSICAA O/T VALLEY O/T WIND BOX SET (C: 1-0-1)
by Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars And poor old Teto, 10 July 2014
Only one slight niggle though,it was a bit long winded.
Yes,I know it is an epic but I feel that some of the the battles were a space filler.
I've read Miyazaki's book about the serialisation of Nausicaa and fully understand that he went back to
it several times and had difficulty in ending the story.I really don't want to criticize a master craftsman,but
that's my opinion.I read the Manga ? after watching the film so maybe I was influenced by that.
The film was crisp and fulfilling.I suppose the film could've been a little longer but Miyazaki decided not,
and he should know.It was a shame that Yupa died but phew...,what a death !
And poor old Teto..,another shame.Great the way he dived into Nausicaa's tunic though A ?
The book set comes with an amazing poster which is perfect but I still prefer Nausicaa's stance with the wounded baby Ohmu.
(the one where she's facing down the herd of Ohmu)
That is the DVD inlay and really sums it up for me.
In the books,Nausicaa has just a little too much luck and her use of Chikuku is laying it on a bit thick.
Still,he's a good character though,as is Ketcha,Asbel and of course Tepa..,she's a real cutie !
Nausicaa gets help from loads of people and even some of her enemies !
It's a really good read and I thoroughly enjoyed it and even if it didn't go exactly the way I wanted,
it's a sheer delight to see such brilliant artwork..,every single panel of it !
I sometimes felt a little guilty if I read it too quickly,not pausing to admire the handiwork.
Princess Kushana's a piece of work too,isn't she ?! It was a relief that she didn't get to marry the young Emperor,Namulith.
Poor guy just went to pieces !
I guess it's a brilliant tale too,once you get your head around the 'sea of corruption' and the reason for the mold,
the Ohmu and the formation of the forests...,oh,and the reason for Nausicaa's blue clothes...,that's just genius !
Yep,epic is definitely the best description of this wonderful work.
I must mention the fantastic colour pages at the start of both books,they really are excellent and a welcome gift.
I can't wait til a reasonable period has passed so I can read the whole story again !

Ghost in the Shell: v. 1
Ghost in the Shell: v. 1
by Masamune Shirow

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 9 Jun. 2014
I expected it to be good but...,WOW !
Yes,I've seen the Anime but this book surpasses that.
Well,they were equally good but just in different ways,I should say.
It was so good I scanned and emailed my brother two scenes from the book to illustrate pure genius.
This is definitely a wonderful book to treasure and re read.It's simply brilliant !
And...,and,at the end,there are 8,yes 8 full colour pages of alternative cover art.
There are also many other full colour pages throughout the book.
So brilliant just got better ! This has to be one of my all time favourites,along with Appleseed.
Reading just doesn't get better than this.It's equal to Street fighter,another of my favourites.
Hmm,thinking about it,Gits is probably marginally better as it captures my imagination with just black and white,
whereas SF is full colour.No,no,I'm not saying there's anything wrong with mono,in fact,the reverse.
Keeps the price down too.Anyway,it was a pleasure to read and re read.
It encouraged me to re read Appleseed too ! So...,double whammy.
Isn't life great ?!

Zita the Spacegirl
Zita the Spacegirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond infinity, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Zita the Spacegirl (Paperback)
Well,beyond expectations anyway.I just couldn't imagine the sheer pleasure of reading this Graphic novel.It was brilliant !
As a middle aged man,I found everything absorbing and had to slow down my reading so as not to turn the pages too fast.
Yes,of course I re read it ! To catch all the other good stuff I missed on my eager rush through the first time around.
There is no down side..,apart from having to buy the next book to continue to enjoy Zita and her adventures.
Well,that's not really a down side,more a welcome addition to my book collection.I certainly don't mind.
I have to admit,I bought second hand.Well..,you never know,do you ? Good reviews don't always mean good books.
However,on this occasion,the rave reviews were adequately justified.A brilliant book.I can't see anybody not liking it.
There are some great life observations and wonderful humour.An excellent story brilliantly told with nice illustrations.

Ranma 1/2 (vol. 3)
Ranma 1/2 (vol. 3)
by Rumiko Takahashi

5.0 out of 5 stars Ra Ra Ranma !, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Ranma 1/2 (vol. 3) (Paperback)
Akane,the girl to whom Ranma has been promised to wed......,right.....,that's just the problem,
He doesn't want to and neither does Akane.So,fireworks at the outset.
At first,Akane doesn't know that Ranma has been cursed by falling into a water hole where a girl once drowned.
This means that He turns into a She when splashed with cold water,only turning back with warm water.
Akane and Ranma fight each other all the time using martial arts techniques.So Akane isn't your average teenage girl.
She has to fight off suitors every day before school and can split a water melon in half with bare hands,when angry.
In this volume,Akane and her family discover that both Ranma and his Dad are cursed.When splashed with cold water,
his dad turns into a Panda ! So what could have been a simple romantic comedy is turned into a brilliantly funny book.
Rumiko Takahahsi does some fantastic artwork and every panel is a gem....,usually.Some are soo perfect that you
just stare and stare to soak up every detail.It's easy to forget these books read from right to left instead of the original
left to right format.A lot of characters appear left handed.No big deal,you just notice,that's all.
Akane's sisters stir things up too by encouraging Akane to take responsibility for Ranma and his antics.
An excellent read as are all Rumiko's books,old and new.

Ranma 1/2 (vol. 4)
Ranma 1/2 (vol. 4)
by Rumiko Takahashi

5.0 out of 5 stars Not half !, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Ranma 1/2 (vol. 4) (Paperback)
I admire and support Rumiko Takahashi whenever I can.
I particularly enjoyed The Maison Ikkouko books enormously.
Inuyasha with Kagome is utterly fantastic.
So I wanted to try some of Rumiko's earlier work and stumbled upon this Ranma 1/2 books.
This series was brought to my attention by a VIZ media re-release,in omnibus format.
That was £10 for the two volumes,whereas you can still get the originals,some for less than £1.
Obviously Post and Packing adds £2.80 but still,good value none the less.
Looked at critically,I suppose the stories can be a little repetitive but not for long as the characters
and situations change around quite a bit with romantic comedy thrown in at every delicious turn.
I don't read the books back to back so allow myself to forget and a fortnight later am chuckling away again at
everyone's antics and eating up the brilliant artwork,sometimes getting out the magnifying glass to read
the small print on incidental things like ads on lamp posts or shop signs which add to my thorough enjoyment of these books.
So,let me get this straight....,cold water turns Ranma into a girl but his...,er..,friends into animals,
warm water turns him back into a boy and the rest human again.
Yes...,it's complicated,and very amusing.Water can come from anywhere,even along the street !
P-chan is extremely funny and works on several levels,good old Takahashi,another great read.

Ranma 1/2 (vol. 5)
Ranma 1/2 (vol. 5)
by R. Takahashi

5.0 out of 5 stars Not 1/2,but the whole Shebang !, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Ranma 1/2 (vol. 5) (Paperback)
It's by Rumiko....,what's not to love ?!
It's great artwork coupled with an original story that involves two principle families.
The theme really is essentially romantic with martial arts thrown in for good measure.
I'd seen a couple of movies of Ranma 1/2,but didn't get the overall story well.
I viewed it as a comical Anime and enjoyed it but didn't cotton on to the water thing.
Reading the newly released Omnibus of volume 1 and 2 of Ramna 1/2,I finally GOT it !
The penny dropped.Now,of course,these books are a complete pleasure to read.
I guess,like everybody else,my favourite character is Shampoo.
Her inclusion is pure genius..........,oh wait..,It's Rumiko....,of course it's genius !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18