Profile for Mr. Roy Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. Roy Williams

Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
Bunny Drop, Vol. 5
Bunny Drop, Vol. 5
by Yumi Unita

5.0 out of 5 stars Bunny drop,book drop more like., 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: Bunny Drop, Vol. 5 (Paperback)
Well,what can I say....? I was really looking forward to this next volume in the series and must admit to being ever so slightly disappointed.Why,well,up until this volume the story has been so good and gripping that I wanted it to continue along the same lines,but we seem to have skipped a book.The story in volume 4 ends with Daikichi taking a picture on his cell phone of Rin with two missing front teeth at about the age of 8.Volume five starts with Rin now 15 and going through the normal teenage experiences.My question is.....what happened to the years inbetween ? I would have liked to learn about how Rin and Kouki got on at school and of course how the friendship of Nitani and Daikichi evolved.There could have been school outings and sports days and more of the fun times with Reina and her Mum.Some more regarding Rin's Mum,Masako and her work would have been nice also,but hey,one good thing though is we learn that Rin is now taller than Kouki,that's pretty cool.I wanted more growing up stuff.I'm still going to get volume 6 though.

Aoi House Vol. 3 (Aoi House In Love! Vol. 1)
Aoi House Vol. 3 (Aoi House In Love! Vol. 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good student fun, 9 Mar 2012
I bought this book first because the cover is so well drawn and colourful and second because it`s so fat.Loads of pages of excellent art from my favourite female artist Shiei !The beginning is well done and draws you in as you want to know exactly what happens next.Some of the antics the girls get up to is rightly described as torture.It`s fun to see the reaction of the two boys and their pet BOO or eichiboo as he becomes known when he starts to steal the girl`s underwear.There`s the usual mix of embarrasing situations and misunderstandings you would expect with two guys sharing a house with five babes.In my opinion,the real story doesn`t amount to much but that`s not really the point,it`s all about how many awkward situations that can be contrived without repeating.I thoroughly enjoyed it and revelled in the glorious drawing and imaginative circumstances engineered to furthr the volume.Great stuff.Good value for a rewarding and lighthearted read.

Maison Ikkoku Volume 14: v. 14 (Manga)
Maison Ikkoku Volume 14: v. 14 (Manga)
by Rumiko Takahashi

5.0 out of 5 stars Towering Maison, 9 Mar 2012
I cannot allow just one critical review to go unchallenged.I,ve just read 3/4 of vol#14 and wanted to add my two penny worth to what I thought would be one of many appreciative opinions.Come on,where are the rest of you Rumiko Takahashi supporters,I know you're out there somewhere ? I've started to read this series in no particular order.I'm just buying the cheapest ones I can find and felt a little guilty about not supporting Rumiko as much as I feel I could.Although the second hand volumes I buy are often ex library copies,they still only cost 1p !
However,that said,while enjoying this book,I wondered if poor old Rumiko had experienced any of the situations portrayed therein or had friends who did or just has a great imagination and a talent for piecing together brilliant storys.( or should I say creating?).I laughed out loud several times and marvelled at the amusing misunderstandings and the poignant situations presented here.There are so many you just have to read them for yourselves.This book is ajoy to read and the turning point were I just had to put pen to paper,sort of,was when Kyoko had gone back to her Mum's and Godai DIDN'T call ! It was getting late in the afternoon and the door bell finally rang and Kyoko's Mum answered and returned to report that she had sent HIM away because HE had become a nuisance.This provoked a heartfelt outburst from Kyoko in that who did Kyoko's mother think she was to decide to turn away Godai......that's when Kyoko's mother interjected saying that it was the NEWSPAPER vendor that she meant.Excellent.You can't get better than that !The following scene about WHY Godai didn't call is also wonderful.See,this book is chock full of great comments,slice of life situations and just pure comedy.Treat yourself and grab a copy.(even if it is a cheap one)
I,ve now read the whole book and must add that the drawing on page 149 of the Japanese version is superb ! (Godai&Akemi).As other knowledgeable manga readers have highlighted,the artwork is as important as the story or,in my case,the main reason for reading manga.

Gurren Lagann - Anime Legends [DVD]
Gurren Lagann - Anime Legends [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Medium Mecha, 7 Mar 2012
I was really taken with the posable figurine of Yoko from Gurren Lagann and seriously thought about getting one for about £60.I held off until I had watched the anime collection.Thinking that I would have my fill of her by the end of the series.However,I was quite happy until episode 3 when I noticed the standard of artwork dropped.The mecha seemed to remain the same but the characters faces became less well drawn and more stylised and simple.Also about this time my disappointment extended to Yoko's voice,it's just wrong for that sort of person.I stopped watching and began to examine why I felt this way and realised that I had seen a better series ages ago called Gad Guard.Full credit goes to the creators of Yoko which proved to be massively popular,great stuff.But,the anime doesn't have enough interesting content for me.The mecha is a bit naff too.I understand the need to be different but I don't think it works.I don't connect with the reviews that praise this anime.I will at some stage watch the rest of the episodes - there's six discs - but I'm not really looking forward to them with any degree of enthusiasm.
The thing is,I've seen so much footage on Youtube (AMVs)I expected more and better.What seems to have happened is fans have taken the best bits to portray on Youtube from amongst the hours of mediocre remainder.Maybe I'm just not in the right mood now.Maybe it's for younger people who are new to this genre of anime.Shame.
Should I just sell the collection and put the money towards the Yoko figurine ? Now that I would enjoy,on a mirror backed,spot lit display shelf.......yeah,sigh !
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2012 6:28 PM BST

Squid Girl: Series Part 2 [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Squid Girl: Series Part 2 [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Tsutomu Mizushima
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl shaped sea monster ?, 7 Mar 2012
This for me was a wonderful discovery.Just the artwork alone.It's so crisp and well drawn,the colours so bright.I first saw this on Youtube while looking at AMVs.(animated music videos)I couldn't help myself.I just had to buy it.It's soo wacky and funny and silly,great entertainment though.
Squid girl comes out of the sea (fully clothed) at a popular beach resort and attempts to INVADE a beach restaraunt in her first step to taking over the world and punishing the humans for poluting the oceans.So far so good so funny.In the first episode Squid girl attempts to swat a mosquito.That animated sequence is absolutely brilliant,I laughed my socks off.She has powerful tentacle hair which she manipulates like extending arms and hands.They can act as spears or ropes.The beach cafe is run by a family of three girls who admire the local lifeguard and have their own admirers in their customers.Lots of red faced humour and beach scenes.It is cliche and typical but the take seems so original.The invasion attempt is turned on it's head when Squid girl has to work at the cafe to pay of the dept caused by her smashing a hole in the hut's wall during a fight.One of the sisters who run the joint is a ninja and she keeps Squid girl in check and not much invading takes place.Squid girl even ends up staying at their house 'cos they don't see her as a real threat.Some comical scenes there too.There's a scene where Squiddie pukes some ink over a meal in the restaraunt...and they eat it....YUCK.There's also a nice OVA extra included.Highly recommended for light hearted and amusing entertainment.

Gunsmith Cats: Kidnapped
Gunsmith Cats: Kidnapped
by Kenichi Sonoda

5.0 out of 5 stars Gunsmith cats rock!, 7 Mar 2012
I really enjoy these storys and am a fan of Kenichi Sonoda.The two main characters,Rally Vincent and Minnie May are so good.There are some excellent supporting characters too,Misty Brown and Becky.All women,nice...!If I say that Bean Bandit is a supporting member,I'll be crusified.He's one of the few guys in this series.Roy,a cop,is another.Rally owns and runs a gun shop with May but also is a bounty hunter going after criminals who've skipped bail.Good old American 'muscle' cars for chases and guns of all descriptions abound.In this book,some kids have been taken hostage to allow a big drugs deal to take place without interference from outsiders.The story revolves around a hypnotist whose young daughter,she's about 9,is kidnapped to force her Dad to assist the gangsters.Rally and May are waiting outside their house to capture the hypnotist as he's skipped bail.Trouble is,there are some neighbourhoods friends of Jeena,the daughter,who want her to meet her Dad without being caught.They stage a pretend accident in the snow alongside Rally's car to distract the bounty hunters while Jeena sees her Dad.
Well,things go pear shaped and get complicated as the neighbourhood friends reveal some unpleasant truths about Jeena's Mum.So,there's gangsters,bribary,corruption and getaway drivers.Riff Raff is one and she's a cool dudette.
This story really ducks and dives.Bets,races and innocent bystanders/motorists.The artwork is phenomenal.You can tell this guy likes drawing,no detail is overlooked.An excellent use of shade and shadow.
At one stage,there's an explosive collar fitted to Jeena to make sure her dad complies with the gangster's demands.
In steps Ken Tuky,nah just kidding,Ken Takizawa,an explosives expert,who disarms the collar but not until very late in the story so the tension is maintained.It's actually a very good story 'cos the kids give it an unusual twist.Oh, and there's a dog involved too.Bit of a disturbing conclusion though.I was looking through the book to refresh my memory.I'm going to re read the book now.

Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E585
Unlocked Wireless Modem Huawei E585
Offered by West-Kom

3.0 out of 5 stars Huawei......Hello.....?!, 7 Mar 2012
I first tried a Three usb dongle to get mobile internet over a year ago and was just impressed that it worked after suffering dialup.Not the best signal,but it worked.I then began to use the internet more as the opportunity was now there to browse rather than just email only.For £10 you could get 1Gb for up to 90 days.This offer was removed to last only 30 days.Another scam,I thought.Ah well,they do dictate terms and conditions,I don't HAVE to use Three so I bought a T-mobile usb dongle only to have my internet use capped ! Good grief,what a cartel !!!
Still,I'd got into Youtube and music videos and I couldn't see any other way of getting access to Youtube so I bought the then latest usb dongle that promised a connection upgrade from just 3 to 3g and something called HSPA when it was available.At this time there was nothing special about connection speeds or signal strength with three bars out of five an average.Youtube videos were punctuated with the spinning circle of dots but,for me,this was progress.At that time,I was buying the £15 3GB data sim and not using it enough to use up all the data.Still,it was the same as my friends were paying for fixed line charges and I didn't feel short changed.Then I bought an Apple TV where you could wirelessly stream audio and video to the tv.Well,ONLY if you asked Apple's permission.You have to log on to Apple and basically beg them to allow you to use something YOU'VE bought !! I couldn't connect it to the internet as I didn't have a wired ethernet connection.The signal on my Huawei dongle got better and sometimes the strength tipped momentarily into HSPA,great,Three were going places.
So,when the Huawei 585 wireless modem and 3g internet device with the possibility of HSPA connection speeds arrived on the scene,I upgraded my usb dongle and bought one for £72 from three phone shop.It came with a 3GB data sim.I used it with several computers including some family ones and was impressed with the inproved speed.I also managed to use it to connect to the Apple site to activate the Apple TV device through the wireless modem option,hoooraay! I can now use the device I payed £99 for....! Aren't those Apple people nice...?!
Anyway,after using the Huawei MIFI device for several months and getting used to the great new speed,I began to expect to watch standard definition Youtube videos uninterrupted on a regular basis and actually started to use up my 3Gb data every month.But now,in 2012 the speed has progressed backwards to just 3G and recently to just 3.At times the speed,if that's the right word,has progressed to accelerated dialup only,frequently locking up totally.Today,at 02:30,outside peak hours,a 2:42 minute video on Youtube took 9 minutes to download.
Initially I thought that the internet had poisoned my laptop or the MIFI device so I tried a different PC and a different MIFI device with no noticable change.
I've been buying reduced price 3 sim cards on the internet and am now wondering if somehow Three can tell this and is downgrading my connection to punish me.I will now try buying a shop bought sim and check out my theory.
Oh,and by the way,I've discovered my favourite music video of all time on Youtube.First of all,it was Britney Spears with Toxic but then I noticed Pink and was amazed at her stuff.But then.....but then......
I found out about Girl's Generation,a Korean girl band with a song titled 'OH' followed by 'Run Devil Run'
I was,and still am,amazed at their talent.I later found out that they have a STORY version that connects these two videos......brilliant.Beats Pink any day.

Maison Ikkoku Volume 1: Vol 1 (Manga)
Maison Ikkoku Volume 1: Vol 1 (Manga)
by Rumiko Takahashi

5.0 out of 5 stars Ikky Ikkoku ? No,not really, 2 Mar 2012
At first this series seems to be all romantic but it's not.There is romance in a funny,frustrated way but it's also light hearted and very acceptable.A reviewer has commented that the storys are contrived.........it's a story,what do you expect for goodness sake ?!The point being,is it good and entertaining....YES,it most certainly is.Some times it's laugh out loud funny.There are some deep moments that reflect the thoughts that most people have in similar situations and this is what keeps you reading 'cos you want to find out how the story resolves these issues.One of the things I find interesting is the way that total strangers enter the quest house if the door is open or,as in some cases,just unlocked !I,ve read loads of the Inuyasha novels and like the family interaction and found the same quality of sarcastic and forthright comments from the residents of Maison Ikkuko.I keep thinking 'I wish I'd thought of that' when I read a particularly good quip,they're well thought out in my opinion.In volume #9,there's a scene outside the house where,in frustration,Kyoko snaps her yard brush and,by way of explanation,says'they don't make bamboo like they used to'! Very funny.I bought a discounted volume #9 and am now going to read the series from the beginning as soon as I get the early books.I've also read the first three volumes of Rin-ne which are also by Rumiko Takahashi.They were one a VIZ media 3 for 2 special offer.

Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus Volume 3 (Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus (Dark Horse))
Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus Volume 3 (Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus (Dark Horse))
by CLAMP

4.0 out of 5 stars Card captor no longer, 4 Feb 2012
I totally agree with the review saying that Vol #3 departs from the Sakura cardcaptor story arc.It is a shame that more cards couldn't be imagined.We never knew quite how many cards were released.Concidering it's Clamp we're talking about here,where were the Love card,the embarrassement card ,the friendship card,the mirror card etc ? I have a theory....you know how male creators say they just want to draw girls/women so they revolve storys around their art ? Well,I think Clamp got slightly fed up with CUTE,ADORABLE,FUNNY,HUMAN Sakura and just wanted to draw guys and decided to wrap storys around them.In Sakura The Movie,the story goes to Hong Kong and is absolutely brilliant ! In this latest Vol #3 there is a mention of Li going back to Hong Kong and I thought woo hoo,here we go,it's gonna get good.....well,phooey ! it doesn't happen,shame.I too love Sakura and will also continue to buy the omnibus editions to support Clamp until they get back on track and give us what we really want....MORE OF SAKURA the Cardcaptor,oh and some more of the characters from the other anime,Cardcaptors Tests of courage.

Amazing Agent Jennifer Vol. 2 (Amazing Agent Luna Prequel)
Amazing Agent Jennifer Vol. 2 (Amazing Agent Luna Prequel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing,the agent too, 25 Jan 2012
I bought this volume on Kindle so it was less than half price compared to the printed version.This is the second part of a prequel to Amazing agent luna.Now that was an extremely good series and has been continued just recently into volume #5.The whole concept of ninja girls is very intersting to me and if they're set in the world of the high school,then that adds an even more interesting layer.Disguises and subterfuge complicate things and give a comedic slant to some storys and lead to some entertaining debriefings.This volume sets up the reason for the type and stature of the characters in the subsequent volumes of Amazing agent Luna.There is some fantastic artwork here done by Kriss Sison (my favourite male artist) whereas the Luna books are drawn by Shiei (my favourite female artist).So,as you,ve no doubt worked out,I love these books.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15