Profile for Mr. Roy Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. Roy Williams

Mr. Roy Williams "mid point" (Croydon,England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Baby Birth: 2
Baby Birth: 2
by Sukehiro Tomita

5.0 out of 5 stars Maturing, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Baby Birth: 2 (Paperback)
I too didn't expect much from this manga series judging just by the covers,but very soon after opening the book and reading,well.....,absolutely fabulous ! I cannot understand the few negative or low scoring reviews I've read regarding the story or how it plays out.For me,it's good enough to shout about and encourage others to read and enjoy ! Admittedly,everybody rates the art as excellent,which of course it is,but what about the interviews after the story ? That's like extras,man and very insightful and rewarding.Hats off to the team for that.It was great to learn that Hizuru was a character already imagined but just waiting for an opportunity to burst upon the world,and she does.I was also impressed with Takuya being a musical 'genius' and how his obvious talents deeply affect Hizuru and how she can't help but respond.I thought the revelation of their respective symbols was brilliant,especially Takuya's.These really highlight Haruhiko's breathtaking artwork,the light and shadows,the silhouettes are awe-inspiring,so cool ! If you LIKE manga,how can you NOT fully enjoy this series ?! Beats me.Let's not forget Ichiro,she's just as important in her own way as the catalyst for half the story for goodness sake ! Well cool.I was really taken that she doesn't or can't speak but can rattle off a text on her phone in no time ! Who cares if there's not much back story ? Go with what there is,it really is good enough as it is,it doesn't NEED anymore ! What about when Hizuru falls at the end of the skate run and Takuya throws his jacket to break her fall ? That's truely wonderful and our enjoyment is extended when Hizuru throws it back to Takuya after it's been cleaned - onto the floor,ha,ha.That'll teach the SOAB ! I can't praise it highly enough,definitely worth reading and re reading,that's for sure.Aiee,I nearly forgot,there's a really cute/infuriating pixie spirit too ! Come on guys - what's not to like Huh ?!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Oz, Tome 1 :
Oz, Tome 1 :
by Seigo Tokiya

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnifique., 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Oz, Tome 1 : (Paperback)
Yes,it's in French but who can resist a book with such a cover ? Certainly not me,that's for sure.I just HAD to see more and I wasn't disappointed,it's great !I can understand a little French so I will translate it.I've done the same with some German graphic novels that aren't,as yet,available in English.It's the usual powerful girl encountering a seemingly timid guy but we soon learn that they each have things going for them.This book has a removable jacket which reveals a different cover underneath.The artwork is stunning (it is really detailed) and the great things about this story are first,the Girl card,which is totally brilliant,and the 'Matrix' like concept which is revealed when a building collapses and they both fall - presumably,to their deaths. I shouldn't say more,it will spoil the plot.Sometimes it's better NOT to understand the language 'cos you pay more attention to the art and his book certainly benefits from that.In one scene where they are sitting together on a river embankment and,yep,you guessed it,Dorothy,has her knees drawn up to her chest but one foot is raised up off the ground,fantastic ! The artist doesn't HAVE to go to all the trouble of drawing awesome stuff,but they DO,so appreciate it when it's there.So I'm glad I bought it and will enjoy translating - when I get around to it.

Mermaid's Scar (Viz Graphic Novel)
Mermaid's Scar (Viz Graphic Novel)
by Rumiko Takahashi

5.0 out of 5 stars Left it's mark, 26 Jun. 2013
All of Rumiko's graphic novels are good and this is no exception.There are a few books with the mermaid theme containing a water demon.Usually someone is accidently possessed by a water spirit that is connected with an evil deed and can't die properly until decontaminated.The two main characters are also 'demons' of a kind and can't die either but they are the good guys who make it their business to separate the good 'soul' from the bad 'demon'.Obviously there are a limited amount of ways to achieve this but it's the supporting story that's interesting and different.So yes,the artwork is important,as to describe injuries sustained in battle wouldn't be as easy,or as rewarding,as drawing them.I think someone else has remarked on the similarity to 3 x 3 eyes by Yuzo Takada.This doesn't detract from either book but really raises expectations of rivaling story tellers as to who can create the best.
By 'best' I also mean the most entertaining which,of course,is different for everybody.So my advice is - to read and enjoy both !

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggle, 11 Jun. 2013
Ah man,It's heavy going.Is this really how they used to write,strewth.I think a lot of the words were just page fillers and could have been left out as they didn't progress the story,IMO.I know it's old but has the nature of excitement changed so much over the last 50 years ?! I'm pleased I got it on Kindle 'cos I would be kicking myself having paid the printed price.I know libraries exist but I may take some time to finish this tome.I can see the potential for filming this making it more adventurous and ACTION packed.I wanted to read the original story to judge the film's interpretation.I'm doing the same with Wizard of Oz.It's interesting for me to note the differences - additions AND omissions.Anyway,I suppose it works on the level that horse and carts were still used as transport and the Aliens had 'far fetched' tripod war machines with 'lasers' ? I'm beginning to understand people of the time's fascination with trains.Ah well,a much talked about ancient story.I have the will power to complete the book but as to the timescale,well......

Secret Kingdom: 1: Enchanted Palace
Secret Kingdom: 1: Enchanted Palace

5.0 out of 5 stars TINKering, 11 Jun. 2013
I was mainly interested in the pictures accompanying the story.Some authors neglect this important aspect of children's books.I immediately thought of Tinkerbell when I saw the pixie on a leaf at the start of the book.Her name is Trixiebelle.The three girls in this story are Ellie,Summer and Jasmine and seem to be in the last year of primary school so that makes them around 10 years old.The author,Rosie banks has paid a reasonable amount of attention to how the girls dress and the half page drawings are reasonably detailed which,IMO,is quite important.If the readers are to identify with the adventures,they need to be able to study the girls in detail to choose which one they would most like to be.There are some nice side drawings depicting one particulars girl the page is chronicling.I needed to review this book myself with a view to buying it as a gift for my niece so I wanted to check the story for content as well as the readability.The story holds up well enough and the puzzles they face are interesting,so for a particular age group,this is a good book.I am a graphic novels fan myself so I would have preferred a drawing on EVERY page,of course,but hey,tradition says otherwise and drawing is a lot more difficult that typing.My criteria for a good book may not be yours.

Anne of Green Gables Stories: 12 Books, 142 Short Stories, Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams, Rainbow Valley, Rilla of Ingleside, Chronicles and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Green but not new, 29 May 2013
I know I really enjoyed reading about Anne with an 'e' and her take on her life and her world.
Being adopted is traumatic enough but to be 'wrongly' adopted makes your heart sink.The description of how Anne gets accepted and overcomes her initial rejection really does make the reader root for her.Nice and chatty with eye opening dreamy descriptions of the landscape,Anne,who gradually becomes 'Anne,of Greengables' manages to convey an interesting and absorbing tale.I've read a review saying Anne of Greengables knocks spots off Little women by Louisa May Alcott,this gives a false impression that somehow Little women is lacking in some way but really - they are equally enjoyable.I was compelled to write this review to complement both talented writers and their creations.
I've also bought videos of both storys too,though Little women was an animation.Which reminds me,nobody has mentioned Pippi Longstocking as another good girl heroine story/fantasy,of which I have an animated film.That leads me to remember Heidi as well,strewth,how long is this review going to be.....?! So,IMO,collect and read them all !
The Little Princess,etc.Ok.....,I'm done.

Mizuki ep.2 (Manga)
Mizuki ep.2 (Manga)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked !, 28 May 2013
Having bought volume one,I'd forgotten about this series but when browsing Amazon,I noticed this new volume and was immediately impressed with the inside front page,a very trendy Mizuki with a VERY pissed looking Sekito - excellent,I want one ! The first page of this new story opens with Mizuki slamming open some dojo doors to shout to sekito.Just 5 panels later,Mizuki's a demon and not a demon to fight in sight !! Well,that's action for you.....,great.Really though,who wouldn't want to buy this ? Simialr to the previous book,short but good story and nice low Kindle price,all good combinations IMO ! I think I'm addicted.....,oh well,there are worse fates - apparently !

Mizuki ep.1 (Manga)
Mizuki ep.1 (Manga)

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenagers,A ?, 28 May 2013
Well,this story is actually a new twist on the old theme of demon slayers.The good part is that because two families have to work together,one has to provoke the other to succeed.Mizuki is the reluctant demon and her childhood friend and school buddy,Sekito,has to enrage her to transform Mizuki into a formidable demon destroyer,and together they banish demons.The awkward situations around Mizuki not wanting to be a slayer and Sekito seriously needing to fulfill his potential,abound,of course.The artwork is very good and the dialogue brilliant.There are some excellent mini panels,sweat drop moments with quite a few great sighs and fatigue clouds.You could say this is one of the newer manga that is trying hard to represent emotion and succeeding rather well,IMO.So,there's an extra layer to the story,making good use of the very visual format.Volume 1 is only a short story,but equally,the Kindle version is inexpensive so,good value for money....,I think.

Blazin Barrels: v. 8 (Blazin Barrels)
Blazin Barrels: v. 8 (Blazin Barrels)
by Min-Seo Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but goldie, 26 May 2013
The title's a play on the characters in the story.This series has been around for years and I never got around to reading all the volumes I had ( 1-10 ) but minus vol #8.So after eventually reading up to vol #7,I thought long and hard whether or not to get this volume but decided to go ahead as it was so cheap.I'm glad I did as the story takes an unexpected twist which couldn't have been anticipated.The question is now,should I but beyond vol #10 ? Ho hum.

Genuine Sony Ericsson BST-33 Standard Battery [Wireless Phone Accessory]
Genuine Sony Ericsson BST-33 Standard Battery [Wireless Phone Accessory]
Offered by Glitzy Gizmos

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine and useful., 26 May 2013
Sometimes it does pay to get a genuine replacement battery.Before I bought this,I chose a cheaper alternative and paid the price - it went flat really quickly with hardly any use.This one however does the same as my original - it lasts 3 days with medium to high use - excellent,just as you'd expect.Sony wouldn't be able to sell a phone if the batteries were rubbish,A ?!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18