Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Kingston on Thames, UK)

Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar: Book 1
Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar: Book 1
by Mickey Baker
Price: 5.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifetime's commitment, 2 Jan 2014
I don't write many reviews but I felt I owed this one to the author. I've been playing, gigging and teaching guitar for over 40 years. I bought a copy of this, now covered in endless amounts of sellotape, right in the early days and didn't understand a word of it. However, like the best wines, it just continues to mature. Today, the majority of the chords I use, jazz, blues and rock, came from this book by a gentle process of osmosis. They just sound so good. The substitutions and progressions (just let his Cmaj7 - C#dim7 - Dm7 - D#dim7 - Em7 - A7#5b9 - Dm7 - G7#5b9 - Cmaj7 wander past those tired ears) are a delight and the work necessary to get at them worth every minute. Don't rush it though - it takes years to absorb the subtleties of this book but you will never regret it.

Finally, don't be put off by the relative lack of tab, (the chords are all shown in a form of tab but the melodic lines are not). If you have any pretentions as a musician at all, its worth the effort to learn to read the way all other musicians have to work and you won't be sorry when you understand the dots a bit better. Have fun !

Wireless IP camera Pan/Tilt 2-ways Audio Mobile Viewing WEP/WPA/WAP2 wireless Wi-Fi Pan/Tilt internet IP camera day and night vision CCTV security monitor built-in microphone and speaker allow you to communicate with people directly support mobile phone viewing
Offered by HappyGo
Price: 29.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad mistake buying these, 29 May 2013
Oh dear. I thought these were the same as the EasyN cameras I had previously bought from Amazon. I was so pleased with those, I thought I would buy some more. I couldn't find EasyN so I bought three of these things which looked exactly the same but obviously aren't. Sadly, this latest batch just don't do what they are supposed to do and I am sufficient of a nerd to understand exactly what they are supposed to do.

I had set my previous cameras up using Firefox without any problems including port-mapping them through from the outside world via my BE router. I have four EasyN cameras and they are still working fine a couple of years later and I can indeed manipulate them via the web using browsers or an iPhone and send myself email alerts of movement with images.

This latest lot are a different manufacturer and are a very different kettle of fish. The interface has been 'upgraded', which basically means filled with bugs as far as I can see. None of them panned and tilted on reboot as they were supposed to do. I could access them intermittently - sometimes the built in web browser took ages to respond. It wasn't my network because I could operate my existing EasyN cameras with ease concurrently. Other times, these new cameras simply ignored the login button, (I tried all three of them).

If you change the password, it doesn't recognise the new one requiring a reset, (holding a fiddly button down for more than 60 seconds !) so you could get back in. In case it was me, I tried this twice with exactly the same result. Since the default is an eminently guessable 123456, this was a bit of a setback. On top of that, the cameras don't seem to like having a static IP address assigned to them and after a couple of minutes the image disappeared from the browser and the cameras stopped responding to the interface. I have no idea why. Saving any new configuration settings sometimes returned immediately and other times just hung. Last but not least, perhaps the most frustrating thing is that an attempt to port-map them raises a port conflict from the router even though the ports used were unique, (I tried multiple IP addresses and multiple ports), so there was no way they could be configured to be viewed from outside the network.

To make sure it wasn't just Firefox, I tried Opera, a highly conformant W3C browser with exactly the same results. Whilst all this was going on, I continued to access and use the existing EasyN cameras on the network to make sure my network was operating correctly. They didn't miss a beat with either Firefox or Opera.

The only conclusion I can make is that these cameras are simply a collection of unendearing software bugs in a black box. After several hours of fiddling to no avail, I gave up. How anybody can muck up a system like this with the wide availability of very reliable embedded LAMP stacks beats me. Hopeless.

Draper Expert 10303 Safety Glasses
Draper Expert 10303 Safety Glasses
Price: 9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 29 May 2013
Cheap, clear, well-proportioned and robust. They are also so light to wear you hardly notice wearing them. Very pleased with them.

House Hunting in the Midi
House Hunting in the Midi
Price: 1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Estate agents, immobiliers: plus ca change, plus ca la meme chose., 4 Feb 2012
What a little gem ! Although I am quite familiar with this bit of France, its a long time since I have been there. This book brought it all back - the eccentricities of the people, the smells of the countryside and the sheer gorgeousness of the landscape. You can immediately sympathise with the author and husband traipsing around the estate agents (immobiliers) with disappointment after disappointment in search of their dream home. I personally have found it hard enough navigating the dangerous wastelands of some estate agent speak in the UK, ("Could benefit with redecoration" = complete rebuild; "Interesting aspect" = built at the bottom of a gravel pit ... etc), however in France, there appear to be additional hazards. For example, the author finds immobiliers are so secretive about where their properties are actually located that repeated visits to the same houses feature, quite apart from the odd spectacular health hazard. All this with only a month to spare.

For the price of a couple of sips of beer, download a really enjoyable read. Well done to the author.

Bad Science
Bad Science
by Ben Goldacre

5.0 out of 5 stars A vital read for all, 7 Aug 2009
This review is from: Bad Science (Paperback)
Ben Goldacre has done an excellent job here. * Everybody * should read this book to provide some basic degree of understanding of the innumerate and frequently dangerous tripe urgently recycled by an increasingly rapacious and scientifically illiterate media.

You will be in turn amused, shocked, saddened and ultimately, when you get to the chapter on MMR, really horrified.

When you have read this, take a look at "Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and its consequences" by John Allen Paulos, also available from Amazon, another wonderful little book, Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences

We are in some ways entering a new Dark Age with little interest or even understanding of evidence and its place at the heart of the scientific method. Books like these help to make up for the politically correct garbage which makes up the bulk of the science curriculum in schools today.

The World At War - Complete TV Series (11 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
The World At War - Complete TV Series (11 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by Mega-Deals
Price: 29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars World at War - unmissable, 20 July 2009
I've watched this series all the way through about three times now. It is simply unmissable. The combination of interviews with significant characters of the time, Olivier's narration, Carl Davies' music, the ever sympathetic editorial work and of course the momentous events of 1939-45 make this possibly the most dramatic television I have ever seen. I simply can't recommend it highly enough.

Risk
Risk
by John Adams
Price: 31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a superb book., 2 Aug 2006
This review is from: Risk (Paperback)
Society in general seeks to quantify risk. This book shows why most such exercises are completely futile because of the phenomenon of 'risk compensation'. In brief, make something safer and humans typically respond by taking more risks elsewhere to compensate.

I recommend this book unreservedly. Its one of the very few I have come across which has a supremely important point to make and makes it in a clear, well-argued and compact way, supported by lots of interesting data; a revelation. Buy it now, it is every bit as relevant now as it was when it was written.