Profile for Cincinnati Dan > Reviews

Lethal Weapon 1-4 [Blu-ray] [2005] [Region Free]
Lethal Weapon 1-4 [Blu-ray] [2005] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video and Audio Quality, 6 April 2012
Please accurately describe the audio and video quality of any Blu-Ray you review. Thanks to those who do this.

I am very pleased with this Blu-Ray purchase. I took notes after watching each of the four movies.

I thought the video quality was great. The first movie didn't have quite as good of video quality as the last three, but it was still very good. I noticed a little fine grain in some of the scenes in the first movie, but didn't see any in the last three. In all four of the movies, blacks were black, without grain, and without distortion. There were a lot of night scenes in the fourth movie, and they all looked great. Overall, I give the movies an average of 9.4 on a 10.0 scale, with 10.0 being absolutely perfect. I have never rated a Blu-Ray less than 4.0.

Aspect ratio was 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 in the last three movies, and, for some reason, 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 in the first movie.

All four of the movies have DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, which is also great. There is a lot of surround sound, except for the third movie, which doesn't have as much as the other three. There really isn't much sub-woofer bass, but I did notice more in the fourth movie.

Movie 1: 1 hour and 47 minutes.
Movie 2: 1 hour and 50 minutes.
Movie 3: 1 hour and 54 minutes.
Movie 4: 2 hours.

All of the movies are very good, but my favorite was the second movie. There is a 5th disc, but I did not watch any bonus material.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2012 10:54 AM BST

Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] [1979] [6 Disc Set]
Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] [1979] [6 Disc Set]
Dvd ~ Sigourney Weaver
Offered by JMBMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video and Audio Quality, 31 Mar. 2012

The video quality is great in all four of the Alien movies in this set. It is not perfect, but it is close to it. In one of the movies (I don't remember which), there was some grain and distortion in the black portion of a dark scene. Mostly, there is no grain or distortion. I think the second movie had some fine grain sometimes. Overall, I give the video quality a 9.5 on a 10.0 scale.

Aspect ratio is about 2.35:1, except the second movie (Aliens) is 1.85:1.

Sound is DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, which is great. I don't remember great surround sound and sub-woofer bass in the first movie (there might have been), but I did notice it in the last three movies (I remember saying "WOW!" in the last three).

This is the first time I have seen these movies. I am very glad I bought this Blu-Ray set, because the movies are really good, and the audio/video quality is great. I was disappointed in the ending of the last movie, because I thought it left things hanging.

Ben-Hur - 3-Disc Edition [Blu-ray] [1959] [Region Free]
Ben-Hur - 3-Disc Edition [Blu-ray] [1959] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Charlton Heston
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Video Quality, 31 Mar. 2012

The video quality of this Blu-Ray is excellent. I give it a 9.98 on a 10.0 scale. It looks perfect, except for some very, very fine grain that is barely noticeable in some scenes (mostly the sky). I sit about 7 feet away from a 52" LCD, and I could hardly even see it. You can pretty much say that there is no grain in this Blu-Ray movie. Colors are fantastic. Sometimes faces seemed a little soft. But I am being very picky with these criticisms. Blacks are black, without grain, and without any distortion. This is the best video quality I've ever seen in an older movie, and I cannot remember any newer movie looking better.

Sound is DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, which is adequate at most times, very good during a few instances. Mostly there is no surround sound, but when you hear it, it is subtle. Except at the end, when surround sound is strong. There could have been more surround sound during the chariot race.

Aspect ratio is wider than the usual 2.35:1. I think it is listed as 2.76:1, but it looked more like 2.5:1 to me.

This is a very long movie, on two discs. The movie lasts 2 hours and 22 minutes on the first disc, and an hour and 20 minutes on the second disc, for a total of 222 minutes (3 hours and 42 minutes). The first disc ends with an intermission. At the beginning there is an Overture that last for several minutes. There are no credits at the end.

I did not look at the special features on the third disc.

Planet of the Apes: 5-Movie Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] [1968]
Planet of the Apes: 5-Movie Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] [1968]
Dvd ~ Charlton Heston

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Video Quality, but not Excellent, 25 Mar. 2012
Please describe (accurately) the audio and video quality of any Blu-Ray you review. Thanks to those who do this. No thanks to those who say a Blu-Ray has excellent audio/video quality, when it doesn't.

After reading all of the reviews (mostly from the USA Amazon site) saying the video quality is excellent, I am disappointed. I thought the first movie had very good video quality. In fact, I thought it looked great. After putting in the second movie, I immediately saw that the image was not nearly as good as the first. There was grain, and I didn't remember seeing grain in the first movie. I thought the 3rd, 4th, and 5th movies looked better than the second, but not as good as the first. I rate the movies between 8.0 (the second movie) and 9.0 (the first movie) on a 10.0 scale.

All five of the movies have an aspect ration of about 2.35:1, and have DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio. There is not much surround sound in these movies, nor much sub-woofer bass, if any. Most of the sound comes from the front center speaker. I did notice more surround sound in the 4th and 5th movies.

The first movie lasted about 2 hours. The other movies all lasted about an hour and a half.

Although disappointed in the audio and video quality, I still say this is a good Blu-Ray purchase. I am glad not to have the huge box that the USA set comes in.