Profile for Lord Depravus > Reviews

Content by Lord Depravus

Lord Depravus "Lord Depravus" (The Swamp)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
All 4
All 4

1.0 out of 5 stars Aweful, 16 April 2016
This review is from: All 4 (App)
This is a great app if you like slow, unreliable apps that continuously crash. Seriously, it's almost as bad as a computer on Windows 98.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Relight my Fire with Kindle magic, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
As soon as music started becoming more about streaming and downloading rather than buying CD's, it was inevitable that film and TV would follow soon after. Of course there are lots of these little smart TV boxes to choose from that basically do the same thing so why choose the Amazon Fire TV? Well, my logic was that Amazon has one of the largest collection of films and TV anywhere in the world. They are the largest and most popular shop and are usually cheaper than anywhere else. Their ownership of IMDB means they have the largest catalogue of film anorakism. Their association with Netflix also increases their reach. There is also Amazon Prime which allows me to watch thousands of TV shows and films without having to purchase them (although Amazon Prime costs around £80 per year. To put that into perspective, that is less than 22p a day. Bargain!) I can also download or stream and watch programmes not only to my TV but also to my Kindle Fire and, if I wanted to know what it was like watching programmes on a 1950's size TV, my phone. So, anyway, with the might of Amazon, I think they are going to become the dominant factor in the internet TV market for the foreseeable future so it makes sense to buy their product.

The Amazon Fire TV comes already configured to the account from which it was purchased, meaning no manual configuration is needed. You simply connect it to your TV, plug it in and connect it to your broadband. The box itself is tiny so you can hide it behind the TV. The menus are very intuitive and the voice search is very useful (although it's not as good as Google's voice search. Sorry Amazon!) There are many apps, stations, games and it links directly to Amazon Music so you can listen to all the songs you've purchased too. The "Watchlist" is also a good idea. The amount of things available on it is mind-boggling so, for the price and the almost inevitability of Amazon being at the forefront of this market, it's an incredibly good deal. I connected it to my wi-fi because it means fewer wires and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with streaming.

If you are considering buying an Amazon Fire TV, I would recommend subscribing to Amazon Prime because, as well as being able to stream so much for free, you also get unlimited cloud storage and guaranteed next day delivery on most items (which you can share with up to four other household members). Of course my most common purchases from Amazon were DVD's, CD's and Books which I no longer need to do because everything is now digitally downloaded to a Kindle device of some sort, so I doubt I'll be making much use of it but it's still nice to have.

NETGEAR XAVB5201-100UKS 500 Powerline Adapter Kit
NETGEAR XAVB5201-100UKS 500 Powerline Adapter Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Isn't it nice when things just work?, 22 Oct. 2014
I've recently had a log cabin built in the garden for the purpose of running my business from it. Obviously this required paying an electrician an obscene amount of money to run the electrics and network cables from the consumer unit, under the ground and in to the cabin. However, once he had charged me eleventy billion pounds for sorting the electrics out, he said I had a choice for the broadband: I could either spend £300 on running cables from the house to the garden, or I could go onto Amazon and spend £25 on one of these adapter things. He explained that all I needed to do was plug one into my router and another into any socket in the property and it would magically pick up my broadband from the electrical supply. Needless to say I was dubious but the thought of having to sell my kidney to pay for the cabling option convinced me to give it a go.

It was £25 well spent. I plugged them both in, switched my computer on, connected to the internet fully expecting to see the "cannot connect to the internet" message and... it connected me to the internet. Brilliant. I love it! Not only has it saved me several hundred pounds (and a kidney) but it also means less wires and cables cluttering up the place.

It's not perfect; it does seem to lose the connection at least twice a day which is either due to interference on the line or because the electrics were wired in my house 20 years ago by an imbecile. Either way, it is a small issue but one that is more than made up for by the convenience and money-saving aspect.

Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)
Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about perfect, 4 Jun. 2013
I love the way it boots up in 5 seconds. I love how intuitive it is. I know that being a Google product everything will work. I know that being a Samsung product it will be reliable.

Blatant praise aside, if you are going to be using a computer for surfing the web, watching online video and writing, this is perfect for you. If you want to use it for anything else, then get a PC because you can't install any software other than apps found in the Google store.

I love the fact that you don't need to buy anti-virus software for it. More than anything else, I love the fact that I can ditch Microsoft.

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse
Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse
by Troy Denning

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings but a good finale, 25 April 2013
I found it impossible to write reviews on the last couple of books in this series. As enjoyable as they were, they were merely setting the stage for this: The grand finale. And what a finale it was. There is action from the opening page and it rarely stops. All the little bits and pieces that have been building up over the last few books fell into place. It was a real page turner. And then it finished. To be honest, the ending itself was a bit of an anti-climax and I didn't think it had much impact but the overall pace of the story was very good.

Although I never liked the whole Abeloth story or the whole Sith returning concept, I thought Abeloth herself was a good villain. I liked the way they hooked this story line into those weird Clone Wars Mortis episodes; it made them slightly less ridiculous in my eyes. Vestara also became a good and likable character and the way it was never clear which side she was on added to the excitement and suspense.

Obviously, anyone with a vague knowledge of the Legacy comics knows where the story arc eventually ends up and the ending to this book had an almost "Episode III" feel to it and was a great end to what was an otherwise uninspiring series in my opinion.

Choices of One (Star Wars (Del Rey))
Choices of One (Star Wars (Del Rey))
by Timothy Zahn
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars My choice of one: read this book, 18 Mar. 2013
I always like reading Timothy Zahn's books. For me, the Thrawn Trilogy is where it all began and are still some of the best Star Wars books ever written in my humble opinion. So it's always nice to read more books by Zahn, set in a similar period of the timeline, with a lot of the same characters, in a story that is multi-dimensional and has plots, sub plots and a nice way of linking everything together at the end.

Seeing how Zahn intentionally gets Mara Jade and Luke so close together without ever actually meeting (which would of course make a rather obvious plot hole) is both entertaining and clever. Having said that, I don't think this is Zahn's best work and there were some parts of the book that I found quite hard going. That is not to say it is a bad book because it isn't. It is action-packed throughout and is well paced. It's probably advisable to read Allegiance first though.

Star Wars Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories
Star Wars Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories
by John Jackson Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Crash landing into the Force, 18 Mar. 2013
When I first heard they were making a collection of short stories into a full sized novel, I thought "Yes!" This is the sort of thing I'd like them to do with other novellas and comics that are referenced in novels that I wouldn't otherwise read.

I was also looking forward to reading books set so far back in the timeline. The trouble with such short stories is you don't get much depth to the characters. It's all a bit rushed. I found as soon as I started to get a picture in my mind of what was happening, the story ended and I was propelled a thousand years into the future and had to start all over again.

Having said that, all the stories were entertaining in their own right and basically set the groundwork for the events of 5,044 in the future when the events of the Fate of the Jedi series take place. From that point of view, it's worth reading these before embarking on the Fate of the Jedi series.

Star Wars The Old Republic - Revan
Star Wars The Old Republic - Revan
by Drew Karpyshyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Old Republic, same story, still entertaining, 24 Sept. 2012
You know when you flick the TV on halfway through a film you've never seen before and it turns out to be quite good? Well that's what this book felt like. Because I have a social life, I don't play the computer games. Because I'm not 6 I don't read comics. Therefore my knowledge of the whole Revan story was limited. There was a certain amount of back-story that explained some things and most of it is quite self-explanatory anyway but I still felt like I'd started reading a book halfway through - a bit strange because, chronologically, this is the earliest novel in the Expanded Universe to date.

Like with the other novels based on a computer game, I found some of the Force abilities a bit far-fetched. I also wasn't keen on the use of the term "rebels" and "separatists". What with the story involving a Republic and a Sith Empire, it felt like I was reading a story set during the Clone Wars rather than a story set nearly 4,000 years before.

Nevertheless, the overall story was fairly good. It was well conceived and flowed nicely. Obviously it was a tie-in to the computer games and probably more a bit of marketing for that but it works nicely as a stand-alone novel that has the potential for prequels.

The ending was a bit abrupt but I personally liked the way it finished. It was a bit tragic and quite unexpected. But perhaps it wouldn't have been unexpected if I was a player of computer games and a reader of comics.

Star Wars: Scourge
Star Wars: Scourge
by Jeff Grubb

3.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars meets the Godfather, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Star Wars: Scourge (Paperback)
There's the age old saying that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Certainly this book's cover was very uninspiring and looked more like a piece of fan art. This in itself might give the impression that it was, in fact, a piece of fan fiction.

Certainly it read like a bit of fan fiction. It didn't feel like part of the Star Wars saga and seemed very out of place for some reason. It had the feel of a spin-off. Of course the whole EU is a spin off so this felt like a sort of spin-off of a spin-off... if that makes any sense.

That's not to say it was an entirely bad book. It was a sort of Star Wars meets the mafia and the plot largely revolved around the Hutt underworld, gangsters and drugs. It was a very interesting concept and I personally enjoyed it. The story itself dragged on a bit - an impressive feat for such a short book - but the characters were all very likable. The main character, although a bit bland, was quite believable in that he was a fairly weak Jedi and a little bit clumsy. I personally thought this was a nice touch; it gave a better impression of the New Jedi Order in its infancy. Jeff Grubb has a nice easy writing style, although I did get fed up with him using the phrase "half a hundred". Is the word "fifty" not good enough?

On the whole I thought it was a good and enjoyable read but certainly not one that is a "must read" in my opinion. It stands alone and has no impact on any other books in the series.

Star Wars: Red Harvest
Star Wars: Red Harvest
by Joe Schreiber

2.0 out of 5 stars Un-dead or brain-dead?, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Star Wars: Red Harvest (Paperback)
I didn't quite know what to make of this book. Despite believing that Star Wars and Zombies goes together about as well as re-mastering and Greedo shooting first, I grudgingly had to admit that Death Troopers was a fairly enjoyable read.

Red Harvest, however, was not so good. It involved a plot so thin it was almost invisible and a cast of characters who were just wooden. Many of them were introduced in some detail before being killed off within a few pages which meant that the already short book (255 pages of story) was mostly made up of pointlessness. The main character was more like a whinging 6 year old girl rather than a Jedi and the Sith Lord's character was just idiotic and not at all intimidating.

What was an otherwise dull and rather inevitable story was made slightly more interesting by the way it was told. To his credit, Joe Schreiber does have a very light writing style and his descriptions of blood spurting and gut spilling almost made me chuckle on a few occasions.

Having said that, I stand by my opinion that horror stories don't really have a place in the Star Wars universe and this book really doesn't lend itself well. The story itself has no impact on the series as a whole so it's certainly one that can be missed. Of course, if you just want a bit of an escape from lightsabers, Jedi and space battles and want to read about Sith students and Jedi getting disembowelled, eaten alive and turning into Zombies then this book might be of interest.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6