Profile for Bobby Dazzler > Reviews

TeckNet HD Component Cable for Nintendo Wii
TeckNet HD Component Cable for Nintendo Wii
Offered by Cloud Accessories Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunned that it actually works., 28 Aug 2013
I bought a HD upscaler box thingie from another seller so that I could use the higher setting 480p on my second hand Wii. I bought one because I like to use my Wii U on a LED TV. Yeah I could play Wii games on it, but I don't want to. Yes I can connect the Wii to HDMI and use the higher setting, but games were far too dark with it. It was unplayable. So I took a punt at £3.99 and amazingly it works! I still can't believe it works. Why didn't Nintendo supply one? I use it with a 22" Sony Bravia LCD TV (one of the first generation LCD's but its got loads of connections) and it has made a massive difference to the games I play. Zelda has proper effects now, Resident Evil has the correct balance of brightness (not too bright that it ruins the game and not too dark that you can't tell where you are, plus it is sharper detail), everything just looks sharper and clearer. I don't really care how it works I just know it does, I can see it does. It was a piece of cake to plug in, just match up the 3 Red Green and Blue video plugs to the corresponding sockets and do the same for red and white for sound. If you still have a Wii or want to get a 2nd Hand one you have to get this, just make sure that your TV has 5 phono sockets to support it.

BRANDEV® FLAME 10.1" Screen Android Tablet PC. HDMI, Multitouch Capacitive, BBC iPlayer, Camera, 8 GB Memory,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet, heavy though., 3 Feb 2013
I use this tablet mainly to watch films and TV programmes. It can play mp4's and avis, which surprised me as a lot of these devices can do one but not the other. I've not tried any other video format. The best feature for me by far, and one I didn't even realise this tablet could do, is the ability to stick in a Micro SDHC card or better still a USB stick and start watching almost straight away rather than having to have a PC to transfer files. A real time saver! The only drawback for me is the weight and thickness, it weights 1 kilogram and its quite thick. Not particularly portable to carry something the weight of a bag of sugar, but then that's why I've got a Kindle Fire HD ( ;-) ) too. There seems to be only one speaker, but there is an earphone socket as the sound isn't that great. The screen is bright and I'm not sure if its gorilla glass or not. Reading ebooks is okay, but strangely I find the screen on the Kindle Fire HD easier to read despite being smaller as the text is crisper and page turn is much faster. I personally wouldn't want to use this to read a whole book, I'd rather pay for a paper copy it will be smaller and more of a joy!

To sum up for the price this is a good tablet, I haven't tried gaming yet. Get this if you want to watch things on it, don't get it to read books exclusively.

Underneath the Lemon Tree: A Memoir of Depression and Recovery
Underneath the Lemon Tree: A Memoir of Depression and Recovery
by Mark Rice-Oxley

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor prose and offers nothing to a sufferer of "depression"., 30 Dec 2012
I don't get how the author was a journalist, the writing is awful. Its child-like and narcissistic in nature. It reads like a bunch of diary entries cobbled together. No sentence is longer than 10 words. I read the first few chapters and had to stop because it is so dreary and dull. I think it only gets high marks because no-one wants to offend or bash someone with a mental illness. Unfortunately in my opinion it is just not a good book and could potentially only add fuel to depressed persons depression. If you are suffering and looking for help, this isn't the book for you. If you want to read about some posh bloke who had a breakdown then this is the book for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2014 10:15 PM BST

American Dad! - Season 1 [DVD]
American Dad! - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by Top of the Charts

1.0 out of 5 stars How has this got 5 stars?!, 13 Dec 2012
I just don't get why American Dad is popular or how it got 5 stars. Its not funny, unless you are a fan of juvenile jokes. It gets compared to Family Guy because AD has no entertainment value to stand on its own. Simpsons creator went and made Futurama, both very different and very funny. AD is simply too derivative, by that I mean unoriginal. I'm calling it AD because I think to find some enjoyment the viewer has to have some form of attention disorder, simply repeating something doesn't make it funny. Why do people celebrate mediocrity or crassness? There is being anti-elitist, which is fine, but entertainment has gone too far the other way now. I'm not offended by any of the "jock" jokes or dumb political/cultural references, heck I find Frankie Boyle funny. This is just a boring unfunny cartoon. I expect to see it in a pound store within the next 5 years.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2013 1:42 PM GMT

Rift - Standard Edition (PC DVD)
Rift - Standard Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by GAMEFORCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mmorpg in a long time., 8 July 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is the new standard in MMORPG's, World of Warcraft set the standard 6 years this meets and exceeds expectations. I've been in to these types of games for over 10 years, well before WoW came only and swept other contenders aside (Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Everquest 2, etc). The main problem with WoW is that everything is heavily scripted and their form of dynamism is a feature called phasing. Rift takes a dynamic world to the next level, as the title suggests there are encounters called Rift. These are random in terms of well everything, time, location, number of players online. Imagine a world boss spawning in a random location in WoW and you get a general idea of the impact a Rift can have.

I, like many Wow players I suspect, was waiting for something to take me away from the dullness of that game. That game had it's time, it's audience, but it is too old.

In terms of graphics I find it hard to imagine that Blizzard hasn't made compromises in fitting a game that supports older graphics card and experimentally direct X 11. If you've kept the same PC since WoW launch you need a new one to play Rift. That isn't to say it won't run, just that to appreciate the art-style which goes beyond the cartoon nature of WoW a decent PC is required, at a minimum one bought in the last 2/3 years ideally with a direct X 10 compliant card. This game uses a modified engine that Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Fallout 3 uses.

I remember when MMO's had a true community feeling and some had GM's control NPC's (possibly the best gaming experience I have ever had). That won't happen with WoW and it won't happen here, but the feeling is almost the same with Rift when a Rift appears. Get a bunch of people together and tackle it in an open raid. There are raids and dungeons too and real PvP.

Summer 2011 there is an introductory offer to subscribe for a reduced rate, my advise is to ditch your current MMO, get in now while the party has started and stay as this is one amazing game. Rift is going to stay for a long time.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Pack (PC/Mac DVD)
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Expansion Pack (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

2.0 out of 5 stars Springboard for Blizzard's 4th expansion, 30 Jun 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Blizzard developers have almost admitted that Cataclysm is a reset switch and the next expansion will be "even more awesome". If you are new to MMO's and/or World of Warcraft, you need 3 (now only 2) other games to play this one. This adds about 30-40 pounds on top, but you only really need Cataclysm if you want to do a new secondary profession Archaeology, play a worgen or goblin and want to get above 80. The shattering patch changed Azeroth already and that is free for everyone.

Personally I've stopped playing, I can't quite believe that I bought this game and played it for so long especially after I slated Lich King expansion..

Anyway, I really can't bring myself to play any more. For a start it is just the same as before, it's just too dull. Collect 8 doodads and give them to this guy over there. I stopped reading quest texts any more when I started my alts. Believe me, if you get into this game and are the top there are only a few things to do: play alts, work on professions, PvP, raid or quit.

I've got 7 level 85's; now I know about group dynamics and random PUG's (pick up groups). Blizzard made a big mistake in putting classes into boxes, which they have effectively done with the dungeon finder. Basically each player can choose to be a tank, healer or a dps. Now this is great, everyone likes dungeons they are by far the better part of the game (until you've done them to death), but they are too short now. Heroics irritate me as the encounters are too twitchy (I'm playing a RPG not an FPS I don't have the reaction time of a flea) and the attitude of other players are quite frankly disgusting.

Okay so there are 10 classes; Mage, Warrior, Druid, Hunter, Warlock, Priest, Death Knight, Paladin, Rogue, Shaman. All classes can dps, some can only do dps (Mage ,Hunter, Warlock, Rogue), some can heal (Druid, Priest, Paladin, Shaman), some can be a tank (Warrior, Druid, Death Knight, Paladin). But not all classes are created equally, I wouldn't have a problem with this game if it was more balanced, but with Blizzard nerfing because of PvP (yes, still) 1 or 2 of the classes in each category (tank/heal/dps) will be near the top. I really don't think Blizzard have a clear vision of where they want classes to go.

From patch 4.2, players who have not upgraded to The Burning Crusade from the original World of Warcraft get it for free (whether you want it or not...)! It is also ridiculously easy to gear up in patch 4.2, welfare epix for all again and back to aoe in heroic. Newsflash: World of Warcraft is now free to play up to level 20, can create as many characters as you like ( up to 50 limit and can't play expansion races/classes) and ca nhave up to 10 gold total.

I'm done with this game, the moment a company starts giving away an expansion you know they want to keep players hooked (those with classic get free upgrade to Burning Crusade). Rumour has it there are only 2 expansions left, getting players to 100.

Oh and if you want to keep your characters then you need an authenticator which outputs a random 6 digit number when you press a button and you have about 15 seconds to enter it ( can press it again to get another number). Otherwise your account is vulnerable to hacking.

I'm going to play some games I didn't get to play because I was playing this: Dungeon siege 3, Portal 2, Dragon Age 1 and 2, Dead Space 1 and 2 are all on my list. Looking at the Top 100 PC and Video Games, Cataclysm is number 74. Most games are for the consoles. I think there is a real danger that unless people start buying games for the PC, other than Blizzard ones, only indie games will be left.

Please for your own sanity, don't play you've been warned :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 10:55 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel safe, just don't forget the combination!, 30 April 2011
I don't understand the previous reviewer marking down because of size and bulk. I want locks to have a bit of weight to them, easy to change the combination number (provided instructions are read!). I like 4 numbers rather than 3. If it takes 10 seconds on average to try a number on a 3 digit lock then in less than 3 hours the number will be found. With 4 digit the time it takes to guess the number is multiplied by 10. Even if a thief does manage to crack the code I like the idea that they spent over 24 hours trying to do so. My only concern is that it could advertise that you have something worth stealing inside.

invero®Premium Range - DMW-BCG10E, DMWBCG10E, BCG10E, DMW BCG10E - 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Panasonic Lumix
Offered by Hostey

5.0 out of 5 stars Work's with Panasonic charger, 30 April 2011
This battery works with the supplied charger to Panasonic Lumix TZ8, the charger is rated 110/240 V 50/60 Hz so should work anywhere in the world provided you have a physical adaptor for the socket. Can't believe the price. Does it work with the camera though? YES. I don't know the firmware of the camera and how to check though, will update when I know.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2011 11:18 AM BST

Body Language
Body Language
by James Borg

2.0 out of 5 stars A little knowledge is dangerous, 30 April 2011
This review is from: Body Language (Paperback)
There are countless books on self-help, confidence and body language on the market. I would look elsewhere for one on body language (My own personal favourite is Joe Navarro one), the ideas presented in this book won't give the reader a proper outstanding of such a complex topic. There are strange "coffee-break" fill in the missing word quiz at the end of each chapter which seem completely out of place. Take my advice when choosing these types of books, be ruthless with your selection of author. Google their name, check what their qualifications mean (if they even have any). Too many chancers out there wanting to make quick money.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)
Offered by GreatBrook Multimedia Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally an MMO which is fun., 30 Mar 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My comments relate to patch 1.2.1 (and beyond); this patch has made Warhammer feel more fluid and responsive.

RvR (PvP)
You engage in the equivalent of WoW battlegrounds called scenario's. The beauty of these is that you get XP (and money for turning in the quest) by completing them. Twinks don't exist, because of this and you can't enter a scenario if your rank (level) is too high. Once you move to the next tier, more scenarios open up for you. You get a whole new set of scenarios with each tier! As you participate in RvR you gain something called Renown, moving up the Renown ranks unlocks abilities and you can buy certain items with a high enough rank. If an enemy enters an area deemed too low for them they get turned into a chicken, which is Mythic's anti-gank measure. There are siege weapons, which have excellent controls (using the mouse-wheel to adjust range and you can zoom in too) and cause carnage to the enemy. Unlike "that other game", this feels balanced and requires more skill. Outside of scenarios RvR is open (I'm on an open-RvR server) and there are objectives in the world that can be captured. I've not reached Tier 4 yet so can't really comment on city raids, but everything you do from Tier 1 to 4 has an effect on your side (Order or Destruction)

PvE
Not as bad as others here claim, there is a definite flow from Tier 1 to Tier 2 as you progress through the chapters. Literally everything you encounter is contained in the Tome of Knowledge, it's a massive compendium of quests, beasts, achievements locations with some very nice artwork and back story. There are areas called Public Quests (PQ's) which anyone can join as the name suggests. The first part is usually soloable but the latter parts aren't and the map tells you exactly how many of each rank is required (obviously if there are higher ranks may be able to do it with less). Once the latter part is unlocked a timer starts where you have usually 10-15 minutes to kill ever harder foes. Once the last boss (or bosses) is killed a roll is made server-side for who will win. If someone contributes more to the PQ they get a bonus to that roll. Everyone who takes part gets something though. The great thing is that the map tells you if someone is doing a PQ. Which brings me to the next awesome feature of WAR called open parties. Clicking on the parties and warband (equivalent of a WoW raid) icon brings up a list of who is in a party and what they want to do PQ, PvE, RvR, Dungeons, Liars. Simply click join and your away, it even gives an accurate reading in minutes as to how far away they are.

This game is a lot darker than WoW, the attention to detail and the artwork involved is a testament to the actual table-top game. There are skulls and bodies littered about, you can set fire to buildings, people are being hung or tortured. The quests are dark too, even if you play "the good" side. The humour is dark too, some of it is subtle, but genuinely funny.

Sadly there are a few niggling points about the game: if not enough are online or in your tier it's difficult to complete PQ's, dungeons etc. It's unfortunate that more do not play as it is a fantastic game now and by all accounts vastly improved since launch. There are a tiny number of bugs still, however in the 40 hours plus I've played only I've only had 2 bugs and never crashed. One was a small graphical glitch, the other was an NPC that never spawned. My internet connection is fairly stable, but not fast, it can get laggy sometimes playing a scenario and even just doing a few quests.

I believe that WAR is a game that must be tried at least once and that it is massively improved since launch, with new dungeons added and content being tweaked. For example there are regular live events. There is no-one on my ignore list in WAR. I have yet to meet a complete moron in this game, everyone seems to know how to play their class and do so well. No one shouts obscenities in capital cities or talks about Chuck Norris all the time. If you are that person in WoW, stay there, you are not welcome. If you are not and tired of those kinds of people then you will be pleasantly surprised ( as I was) with WAR.

Now is the time for WAR.

Page: 1 | 2