Profile for jenny norman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Far from the Madding Crowd
Far from the Madding Crowd

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic, 19 July 2014
I read "Madding Crowd" many years ago and found on rereading that I got so much more pleasure from it. And how wonderful to read a novel of Hardy's with a happy ending albeit filled with tragedy throughout.
I also get great pleasure from reading Hardy's works now that I live in the Wessex that he writes about. I can see in my mind's eye the places he is alluding to which makes the story even more evocative.
Everyone should read this masterpiece.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My second reading of this book., 5 July 2014
I am rereading this book for my book club.

I don't normally read a book twice, however I am so glad I did.

I remember being so moved by this book first time round but have been amazed by how much of it I had forgotten. It is perhaps even more poignant to be reading it again with the evacuation of western troops from Afghanistan so imminent.

Splendid Suns leaves one feeling that there is hope for this ravaged country and it lies in the hands of individuals who love the land and want to rebuild it.

The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase
The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly fascinating, 25 Jun 2014
What a great read.

I did have to keep back tracking and rereading whole sentences, even swathes of this book in order to be sure I had read what I thought I had read.

I wish I was witty and clever enough to employ one of Mark Forsyth's grammatical tricks in writing this review. Sadly I am not. I only hope I have not dropped any proverbial clangers in doing so.

For all I simply want to say is if you love literature, song and the English language please do read this book.

Daisy Miller
Daisy Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars A cautionary tale?, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Daisy Miller (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Henry James I have read.

I found it to be rather superficial perhaps because of its brevity.

Was this a cautionary tale for its time, a message to young ladies of the dangers of indiscretion?

I will read more of James's work in the hope that this is not a true example of it all.

Carve Her Name With Pride
Carve Her Name With Pride
Price: 0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A very factual account, 20 Jun 2014
Although dated in its language and delivery this book is well worth reading particularly given the significance of the timing,ie 70 years since these events took place.

Viollette's contribution to the success of the D-Day landings is fascinating in light of the recent commemorations we have been witnessing in the media.

Her bravery is unquestionable particularly given her youth and the fact that as a mother she had so much to live for.

I strongly recommend this book to those wishing to research the Second World War and particularly the contribution made by women.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars For the second time of reading, 19 Jun 2014
I have re-read this book for our newly created book club.

It was probably one of my first kindle reads. I have looked back to see what my first review was but can't find it.

I do think I got far more from the second reading. It is actually very unusual for me to read a book twice but I feel so pleased to have done so with this book.

Looking back at other reviews I am amazed at how many people have been so critical of it. I was certainly moved to tears and find it difficult to understand how others could not be.

Shame
Shame
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously inspiring, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shame (Kindle Edition)
I saw Jasvinder at a Karma Nirvana roadshow in Poole last week and was so inspired by her presentation that I had to find out more about her and Karma Nirvana.
The issues covered in the book are shocking and harrowing but I believe that we all have a responsibility to share the message, to do what we can to raise awareness and protect the vulnerable.
Please read this book.

The Bad Mother
The Bad Mother
Price: 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Bad Mother (Kindle Edition)
This is an easy book to read.
Not a work of literary genius but the characters are credible and the story line is believable.
I would say a good holiday read which doesn't tax the brain too much.

Agnes Grey
Agnes Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars How can one criticise a Bronte novel?, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Agnes Grey (Kindle Edition)
In comparison with Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Tenant of Wildfell Hall, this book is lacking in intensity and emotion but I am pleased to have read it as I think any Bronte fan would be.

I do recommend it but only to be read after the more major works have been read because I would not want others to be put off reading Bronte works by the comparative superficiality of this one.

Winter Solstice
Winter Solstice
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Enid Blyton for adults, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Winter Solstice (Kindle Edition)
An easy read.

Everything turns out well all the way through, not just at the end.

Entirely predictable and twee.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4