Profile for jenny norman > Reviews

Slaughterhouse-Five
Slaughterhouse-Five

5.0 out of 5 stars Slaughterhouse Five, 16 Nov 2014
What a book!

About the futility of war and the presciousness of life.

Would that Tralfamadorians were right and we could return to re-experience episodes in our lives and never feel loss again. I am so pleased this book was chosen by a member of our book club.

Sirdar Supersoft Aran Knitting Wool/Yarn Silver Grey 821 - per 100g ball
Sirdar Supersoft Aran Knitting Wool/Yarn Silver Grey 821 - per 100g ball
Offered by Minerva Crafts and Fabrics

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you, 25 Oct 2014
Lovely yarn. Arrived 3 days in advance of predicted delivery

Pack of 10 Quentin Blake Marie Curie Charity Christmas Cards - Christmas Pudding

5.0 out of 5 stars Merry Christmas, 25 Oct 2014
Beautiful QB cards. Arrived very promptly.

Pony Metal Knitting Pins/ Knitting Needles 40cm long - 3.25mm
Pony Metal Knitting Pins/ Knitting Needles 40cm long - 3.25mm
Offered by Minerva Crafts and Fabrics

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you, 23 Oct 2014
Just what I wanted when I wanted it

A Kind of Loving
A Kind of Loving

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable re read, 13 Oct 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Loving (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book many years ago when I was young free and single. I realise now that I didn't really get it.

Reading it again many years later and with a lifetime of experience behind me has given me a greater understanding of the message of this book.

It is also very interesting because it is a record of a different era in terms of social history, chronicling the shame of pregnancy outside wedlock and the imperative to do the right thing.

I would strongly recommend this book to people like myself born in the 50s who will feel this novel striking a chord in their memories.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetical prose, 30 Sep 2014
I have loved re reading this book for our book club.
I first read it more than thirty years ago and had remembered it as a book about a young girl who becomes mute as a result of being raped and her abuser being murdered. It is however much more than that.
This is a book that chronicles life's struggles for a black girl in the deep south, telling of the feeling of otherness and how she triumphed in adversity.
What a woman was Maya Angelou. The world is a lesser place without her.

Jackdaws
Jackdaws

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a gripping page turner, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Jackdaws (Kindle Edition)
I would say that this is an OK book, did not light my fire particularly and rather predictable.
I had hoped for better because this was my first Ken Follett.

I Have Waited, and You Have Come
I Have Waited, and You Have Come

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, 17 Aug 2014
A somewhat intriguing novel about the effects of extreme climate change on society and individuals.
Not necessarily a book I would choose to read or to recommend. I did not find it chilling or thrilling, just weird.

Harvest
Harvest

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetical prose, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Harvest (Kindle Edition)
I came to this book having just read a very mediocre thriller as one of our book club selections.
Harvest was like water to a thirsty man.

The prose is beautiful, descriptive, soothing, enveloping.

However there is much sadness in the story so that although the delivery is eloquent, excellent, stimulating, the story itself is in no way uplifting or joyous. But don't let this put you off reading it. I have so enjoyed reading this book and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who loves the English language.

Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1
Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 8 Aug 2014
I wouldn't normally read books in this genre but it was chosen as a read by a book club member.

Partly predictable but also shocking, this is a book that keeps you coming back for more but do not expect a happy or even satisfactory ending.

Will I be reading the next book in the series? I doubt it. This is still not my genre.

Would I recommend reading it? Yes, if fast paced violent psycho thrillers are your thing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5