Profile for jenny norman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
A Pair of Blue Eyes
A Pair of Blue Eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly Hardy novel, 1 Jun. 2015
Well worth the read. Perhaps a lesser known Hardy novel but nonetheless enjoyable.
I was gripped all along as to what would be the outcome for Elfride and saddened by the end.

Of Human Bondage
Of Human Bondage

4.0 out of 5 stars Of Human Bondage, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Of Human Bondage (Kindle Edition)
I am so pleased to have read this book again.
I read it first about 30 or 40 years ago. I remembered it quite differently to how I perceived it this time.

There is so much misery in the tale but such a feel good factor as well.
Well worth reading but be prepared for a rollercoaster of emotion.

Night Waking
Night Waking

4.0 out of 5 stars A book well worth reading., 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Night Waking (Kindle Edition)
In the early stages of reading this book I looked at the reviews of others and was initially influenced by them. I found Anna's parenting and resentment towards her children irritating.

How pleased I am that I didn't allow the negative reviews to stop me from reading onwards.

There is far more to this novel than the negative reviewers have apparently perceived. Yes, parenting styles are a feature of the novel but reading on allows one to see the issue in the context of history, geography, sociology, medicine and much more.

I would highly recommend this book. Please don't give up on it. To do so would be to lose out on an enlightening and incredibly interesting read.

Madame Bovary
Madame Bovary

4.0 out of 5 stars Madame Bovary, 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Madame Bovary (Kindle Edition)
Difficult to get into in the first third or more but I am pleased to have persevered to the end.
This cannot be said to be an uplifting read but I would recommend it to those who enjoy classical fiction with a moralistic message.
I read it immediately after Lady Chatterley's Lover and can see some common themes but must acknowledge that each book is distinct in delivery of the details of infidelity and of course in the outcomes for all protagonists.
The principal female characters are depicted however as the sinner in my opinion whilst the males are seen as simply victims to said females and their own normal sexual drives.
Perhaps I should graduate to Bridget Jones diary next in order to balance the effect?

Slaughterhouse-Five
Slaughterhouse-Five

5.0 out of 5 stars Slaughterhouse Five, 16 Nov. 2014
What a book!

About the futility of war and the presciousness of life.

Would that Tralfamadorians were right and we could return to re-experience episodes in our lives and never feel loss again. I am so pleased this book was chosen by a member of our book club.

Sirdar Supersoft Aran Knitting Wool/Yarn Silver Grey 821 - per 100g ball
Sirdar Supersoft Aran Knitting Wool/Yarn Silver Grey 821 - per 100g ball
Offered by Minerva Crafts and Fabrics

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you, 25 Oct. 2014
Lovely yarn. Arrived 3 days in advance of predicted delivery

Pack of 10 Quentin Blake Marie Curie Charity Christmas Cards - Christmas Pudding

5.0 out of 5 stars Merry Christmas, 25 Oct. 2014
Beautiful QB cards. Arrived very promptly.

Pony Metal Knitting Pins/ Knitting Needles 40cm long - 3.25mm
Pony Metal Knitting Pins/ Knitting Needles 40cm long - 3.25mm
Offered by Minerva Crafts and Fabrics

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you, 23 Oct. 2014
Just what I wanted when I wanted it

A Kind of Loving
A Kind of Loving

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable re read, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Loving (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book many years ago when I was young free and single. I realise now that I didn't really get it.

Reading it again many years later and with a lifetime of experience behind me has given me a greater understanding of the message of this book.

It is also very interesting because it is a record of a different era in terms of social history, chronicling the shame of pregnancy outside wedlock and the imperative to do the right thing.

I would strongly recommend this book to people like myself born in the 50s who will feel this novel striking a chord in their memories.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetical prose, 30 Sept. 2014
I have loved re reading this book for our book club.
I first read it more than thirty years ago and had remembered it as a book about a young girl who becomes mute as a result of being raped and her abuser being murdered. It is however much more than that.
This is a book that chronicles life's struggles for a black girl in the deep south, telling of the feeling of otherness and how she triumphed in adversity.
What a woman was Maya Angelou. The world is a lesser place without her.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6