Profile for jenny norman > Reviews

I Have Waited, and You Have Come
I Have Waited, and You Have Come
Price: 5.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, 17 Aug 2014
A somewhat intriguing novel about the effects of extreme climate change on society and individuals.
Not necessarily a book I would choose to read or to recommend. I did not find it chilling or thrilling, just weird.

Harvest
Harvest
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetical prose, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Harvest (Kindle Edition)
I came to this book having just read a very mediocre thriller as one of our book club selections.
Harvest was like water to a thirsty man.

The prose is beautiful, descriptive, soothing, enveloping.

However there is much sadness in the story so that although the delivery is eloquent, excellent, stimulating, the story itself is in no way uplifting or joyous. But don't let this put you off reading it. I have so enjoyed reading this book and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who loves the English language.

Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (Dci Helen Grace 1)
Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (Dci Helen Grace 1)
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 8 Aug 2014
I wouldn't normally read books in this genre but it was chosen as a read by a book club member.

Partly predictable but also shocking, this is a book that keeps you coming back for more but do not expect a happy or even satisfactory ending.

Will I be reading the next book in the series? I doubt it. This is still not my genre.

Would I recommend reading it? Yes, if fast paced violent psycho thrillers are your thing.

A Gay and Melancholy Sound (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)
A Gay and Melancholy Sound (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange and melancholy book, 4 Aug 2014
I found this book extremely difficult to get into but persevered and found it more readable from the middle onwards.
At the risk of giving anything away I would say that the most eloquent writing is at the very end when nothing makes any sense at all.
This is not an uplifting read. Tackle it when you are in a good place yourself.

Far from the Madding Crowd
Far from the Madding Crowd
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic, 19 July 2014
I read "Madding Crowd" many years ago and found on rereading that I got so much more pleasure from it. And how wonderful to read a novel of Hardy's with a happy ending albeit filled with tragedy throughout.
I also get great pleasure from reading Hardy's works now that I live in the Wessex that he writes about. I can see in my mind's eye the places he is alluding to which makes the story even more evocative.
Everyone should read this masterpiece.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My second reading of this book., 5 July 2014
I am rereading this book for my book club.

I don't normally read a book twice, however I am so glad I did.

I remember being so moved by this book first time round but have been amazed by how much of it I had forgotten. It is perhaps even more poignant to be reading it again with the evacuation of western troops from Afghanistan so imminent.

Splendid Suns leaves one feeling that there is hope for this ravaged country and it lies in the hands of individuals who love the land and want to rebuild it.

The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase
The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly fascinating, 25 Jun 2014
What a great read.

I did have to keep back tracking and rereading whole sentences, even swathes of this book in order to be sure I had read what I thought I had read.

I wish I was witty and clever enough to employ one of Mark Forsyth's grammatical tricks in writing this review. Sadly I am not. I only hope I have not dropped any proverbial clangers in doing so.

For all I simply want to say is if you love literature, song and the English language please do read this book.

Daisy Miller
Daisy Miller
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A cautionary tale?, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Daisy Miller (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Henry James I have read.

I found it to be rather superficial perhaps because of its brevity.

Was this a cautionary tale for its time, a message to young ladies of the dangers of indiscretion?

I will read more of James's work in the hope that this is not a true example of it all.

Carve Her Name With Pride
Carve Her Name With Pride
Price: 0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A very factual account, 20 Jun 2014
Although dated in its language and delivery this book is well worth reading particularly given the significance of the timing,ie 70 years since these events took place.

Viollette's contribution to the success of the D-Day landings is fascinating in light of the recent commemorations we have been witnessing in the media.

Her bravery is unquestionable particularly given her youth and the fact that as a mother she had so much to live for.

I strongly recommend this book to those wishing to research the Second World War and particularly the contribution made by women.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars For the second time of reading, 19 Jun 2014
I have re-read this book for our newly created book club.

It was probably one of my first kindle reads. I have looked back to see what my first review was but can't find it.

I do think I got far more from the second reading. It is actually very unusual for me to read a book twice but I feel so pleased to have done so with this book.

Looking back at other reviews I am amazed at how many people have been so critical of it. I was certainly moved to tears and find it difficult to understand how others could not be.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5