Profile for Jamie T > Reviews

Content by Jamie T

Jamie T "JT"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Fair Play (All's Fair Book 2)
Fair Play (All's Fair Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, 23 Nov 2014
Generally, a gripping and exciting read. I don't know much about Roland's earlier times, but it seemed to me to be authentic and well researched. The developments in Tucker and Elliott's relationship were thoughtful and brave, although is it just me or is there a shade of Adrien and Jake in there somewhere? Whatever, I loved it.

The Skeleton Road
The Skeleton Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Skeleton Road (Kindle Edition)
Another exciting read by Val McDermid. Highly recommended.

The Boy With The Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3
The Boy With The Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give 10 stars!, 12 Oct 2014
Triumphant return for my second favourite couple! The title of course is probably more about Josh's sense of humour than the story content! I can't say any more than the previous reviewers - a wonderful, romantic, funny book so well written by my favourite author and a lovely Adrien/Jake surprise too. Highly, highly recommended!

The Sheltered City
The Sheltered City

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet!, 4 Oct 2014
Another great novel by John Tristan. He is so good at writing romance against a backdrop of a very different and strange world. The two 'half dead' main characters Amon and Caedian are physically opposite to the usual in this genre but the love between them is so believable. The tiny group of Dragonblooded and the dragons themselves are amazing and one also wants to read more about their story. The elves are equally fascinating if not so likeable, their role somehow giving a sense of the political. The end is satisfying but I wish there was a part 2!

The Adorned
The Adorned

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 4 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Adorned (Kindle Edition)
A beautiful romantic story told against a backdrop of alien political intrigue and magic. The idea of 'live' tattoos is fascinating and different. The quality of John Tristan's writing is in my humble opinion so much improved from his early novels. He has the ability to capture the reader's interest in the well paced story and care about his well drawn characters. Highly recommended!

The Peacock Prince
The Peacock Prince

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 4 Oct 2014
Nice book with a happy ending. Characters are well drawn and one wants to read more about them.

Chasing the Dragon
Chasing the Dragon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 21 Sep 2014
I really enjoyed the book. Kate Sherwood writes well. It's basically a love story underpinned by a good understanding of addiction.

Cell Mates: Behind Bars
Cell Mates: Behind Bars

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be so much better, 3 Sep 2014
Sorry about this but when I look at the other reviews I feel I've been reading a different book. It may be that Alana is a new writer and in my humble opinion perhaps published before she was quite ready. The book would have benefitted by being proof read and edited before being published. Breaking up the piece by POV headings, is also not acceptable as it is distracting for the reader. The writing itself seems to me in many ways naïve and lacking in authenticity. Perhaps the writer has researched about male prison life, but it doesn't ring true. Riley's character while likeable is also very naïve and I have to say not very masculine. As I know from my own experience, it's not easy for a writer to inhabit the character of a different gender and needs lots of practice.

The other area I'd like to mention is the writer's rather angry personal discourse at the beginning of the book. While her opinions are very valid if somewhat defensive, creative writing calls for the writer to 'show' in the story rather than 'telling' what's in the writer's heart.

Last Line
Last Line

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it all over again and I think picked up ..., 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Last Line (Kindle Edition)
Bought this because of the blurb and the writer's name. Soon realised the story was familiar and then it dawned that I'd read it before! It's a re-release which should have been mentioned in the blurb. However, I enjoyed it all over again and I think picked up nuances and twists which I'd maybe not noticed so well before. The characters and the emotions are so well written as are the haunting descriptions. The "other worldly" theme which previous reviewers have mentioned didn't bother me - in fact it added to the story. I also hope that there's a sequel.

Highly recommended.

Floodgates
Floodgates

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not up to standard., 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Floodgates (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book but felt that it was set in a different universe to the one I live in - one where two men can have heavy snogging sessions in public and no-one seems bothered. Also felt that Tracy thought and behaved more like a girl than a boy in some ways. This is always a danger when a writer is trying to get into the head of her/his opposite gender. So, although it was okay, I didn't think that this book is the writer's finest.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5