Profile for T Asprilla > Reviews

Content by T Asprilla

T Asprilla "juliogeordious" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Soccer Skills - Defending: A Complete Guide to Tactics and Training
Soccer Skills - Defending: A Complete Guide to Tactics and Training
by Paul Fairclough

1.0 out of 5 stars Concedes a Bucket Load of Goals, 7 Jun 2007
I bought this cheap with his Attacking book (see seperate review). It was not as good, none of the drills were new to me or in my opinion of any use. Only 32 pages long, sloppy spelling mistakes, uses the same pictures as the attacking book. No positives at all I am afraid. Coaches stay away, if you are a child or parent with a few quid to burn then consider the attacking book for a few good ideas.

Soccer Skills - Attacking: A Complete Guide to Tactics and Training
Soccer Skills - Attacking: A Complete Guide to Tactics and Training
by Paul Fairclough

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice kids guide, 7 Jun 2007
I bought this book because it was cheap and I like to have as many resources as possible to coach from. However this (and his other guides, see seperate review) is not a coaches guide but rather a book that kids or parents could read to help improve their knowledge of skill development or to get some basic drills to help development. I did like the bright colours and nice pictures but the book is short at 32 pages. Some of the photos don't relate to the text either but it did give me 3 new ideas to alter progressions for practices so it was worthwhile reading.

Warm Up Drills for Soccer: Fun Warm Ups with and without a Ball
Warm Up Drills for Soccer: Fun Warm Ups with and without a Ball
by Chris James

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fun at all, 28 May 2007
If you are going to state that your warm ups are fun then it would be best to do so. A fun warm up to me suggests a game called 'Sharks and Minnows' or 'Cops and Robbers' and so on. Yet the book contains nothing of the kind.

Some of the drills (not many though) did give me a few ideas to incorporate into my sessions so this purchase was not completely wasted.

However I found that the book was not well structured with many diagrams and text all over the place. The drills also did not seem to be in any structured order, the chapter entitled 'Ball Skills' mainly contained passing drills which also had its own chapter. This made it harder to extract information.

How to Coach a Soccer Team: Professional Advice on Building a Winning Team
How to Coach a Soccer Team: Professional Advice on Building a Winning Team
by Tony Carr

4.0 out of 5 stars More great stuff from Tony Carr, 28 May 2007
Not sure what the muddle up was with another book by Carr but I bought the first Tony Carr book (down as a Rio Ferdinand book in Amazon)titled 'Youth Soccer Coaching: A Complete Guide to Building a Successful Team' and was very pleased with it (See my review).

When I saw Carr had released another book I was ecstatic and rushed to get a copy straight away. A lot of the technical practices I had seen before (or similar) but quite a few of the tactical practices gave me some new ideas I could apply to sessions.

This book is better structured than his first outing and I particularly like the problem checklist at the end which helps coaches to identify which practices will solve certain problems when the team/individual plays.

101 Youth Soccer Drills: Age 7 to 11
101 Youth Soccer Drills: Age 7 to 11
by Malcolm Cook

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Concise, 28 May 2007
I like Malcolm Cook's books, they are broken into clearly defined chapters, each one dealing with a specific technique. Each drill is drawn clearly and is easy to understand. He also details the equipment needed and gives each drill a progression of some kind. He doesn't list the key factors for each drill and what should be coached. This might be obvious to some coaches but not to all and especially new coaches some time on breaking each key technique down might have been useful as well.

Overall though a good book, if you work with the stated age group, regardless of your experience, pick up a copy.

Handbook of Soccer Match Analysis: A Systematic Approach to Improving Performance
by Christopher Carling

4.0 out of 5 stars In Depth Stuff, 26 May 2007
Firstly with the price at over 20 quid make sure you are seriously into objective analysis of football before you splash out. I bought this as I had just passed my Level 3 and was keen to learn more about match analysis, something that had just been introduced to me on the course. It did help me to tweak ideas presented to me by the FA and to also develop some new ideas when analysing my teams/players performance. However it might have been better to include some more templates for different types of analyse rather than leaving the reader to figure it out for themselves.

A lot of the text was also redundant, I just do not have the technology described in order to carry out these types of analysis and in fact some pro clubs may not have the funding needed to carry this out either!

If you are coaching at a high level check this stuff out, if you are working at grass roots level then its worth looking at for the future but might not be much of an aid to improving your team.

Offensive Soccer Tactics: How to Control Possession and Score More Goals
Offensive Soccer Tactics: How to Control Possession and Score More Goals
by Jens Bangsbo

3.0 out of 5 stars Attack is better than defence, 26 May 2007
I bought this as a package with their defending book (also reviewed seperately) and felt this was the better of the two. I found that while both books tended to over elaborate on topics and make them more difficult to understand, and get players to understand, there were some useful elements. I am often looking for little drills to progress from a warm up into a full phase or game and found some good ideas here, more so with the attacking book rather than the defensive one.

Please be aware if you are working with young kids this is not for you. Equally if you like things as simple as possible (or if your players do more to the point) then maybe you will also not find much here.

Defensive Soccer Tactics
Defensive Soccer Tactics
by Jens Bangsbo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not bad, 26 May 2007
No doubting the knowledge and experience of the authors this is a good book with some good ideas about getting your team defending well as individuals and as a unit.

Some of the drills seem over eloborate though, too complicated rather than focusing on basics that relate to the game. Some stuff seems difficult to relate to a game situation and after all if it does not relate to a game situation then ultimately it will leave players confused.

However it did give me some good ideas for warm ups and progressions that could lead into some functional practices or phases of play.

Important to understand which players could benefit from this book, not youngsters, only 14 and upwards will benefit from the practices.

The Soccer Goalkeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide for Players and Coaches
The Soccer Goalkeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide for Players and Coaches
by Alex Welsh

5.0 out of 5 stars In Safe Hands, 26 May 2007
I bought this book as I wanted to improve my knowledge and ability when coaching and developing my goalkeepers. I was not disappointed, I thought this book was excellent, nice photos help break down the technique and these are aided by clear diagrams of how to set up practices. The book is also structured well, early chapters deal with co-ordination, reactions and basic handling. As the book progresses it develops onto more complex aspects like handling crosses, 1v1s, set pieces etc. so whatever age or level your keepers are at there is something here that will help them develop.

This could be the best keeper book out on the market at present.

Warm Ups for Soccer: A Dynamic Approach
Warm Ups for Soccer: A Dynamic Approach
by M. Critchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 26 May 2007
I found this book of great help. It lays everything out very simply showing clear photos of the different dynamic flexibility stretches and supporting this with concise diagrams.
As the reviewer below states it does not really apply to younger kids, more for coaches working with older players and players in serious development programs.
Definetely the way forward for warming up in football.

Page: 1 | 2