Profile for bengerlad > Reviews

bengerlad

Gold Mine
Gold Mine

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gold Mine (Kindle Edition)
This book is strong on the details of mining gold in S Africa, but weak in its overall plot. The principal character, Rod, is well drawn and realistic, but the others come across as rather hollow. At the end, the book reaches a major, albeit somewhat contrived, climax, then peters out, leaving the reader wondering how the situation pans out. Not one of Wilbur Smith's best.

Lorus Gents Leather Strap Watch RXD60CX8
Lorus Gents Leather Strap Watch RXD60CX8

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, 18 Mar. 2013
The day after I ordered this watch I got an e-mail apologising for not being able to despatch it yet (that was a first for me). Then overnight got the usual "on its way" message, and the next day it arrived, by first class post (though I only asked for 3-5 day delivery). Excellent.

The watch itself looks terrific, keeps perfecr time, and is as slim and elegant as it looked on the website.

Wish all purchases were as trouble free as this one.

Bengerlad.

ASUS 900 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router - Black
ASUS 900 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars By Bengerlad. Powerful router, but needs a separate modem, 20 Dec. 2012
Does what I wanted, ie to provide wider wireless range in my old house with thick stone walls (though still not everywhere). Tricky for a novice like me to set up, but managed after a few tries. Main drawback is that I was unaware that it as no built in modem. I was advised by ASUS to use my existing router as a modem, which works but is a clumsy answer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2013 9:47 AM GMT

The Rebel Raiders: The Astonishing History of the Confederacy's Secret Navy (American Civil War)
by James Tertius deKay

5.0 out of 5 stars By Bengerlad. Gripping, 20 Dec. 2012
This is an excellent book. Despite being a factual account, backed up by lots of specific detail, it reads like a best selling novel. I loved the informal style of writing, and quickly got into the sheer bravado and subterfuge which went on. The book really does reveal a major aspect of the Civil War which has had very little visibility. And the summaries of British and French attitudes to the war are spot on.
The title says it is an astonishing history: how true!

Scottish Medicine: An Illustrated History
Scottish Medicine: An Illustrated History
by Helen Dingwall

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, well researched and extremely well illustrated., 15 Nov. 2012
An excellent book containing a great deal of research, presented in the most readable way. I particularly liked the profuse use of photos to illustrate this most engaging history.

Roberts Radios Dreamtime Digital Clock Radio with Dual Alarm - White
Roberts Radios Dreamtime Digital Clock Radio with Dual Alarm - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive bedside radio., 15 Nov. 2012
I like this radio - it works well, has a nice tone and looks good at my bedside. Setting up was initially frustrating as I could only get local stations. However, following the advice on p 9 of the instructions (as advised by an earlier reviewer) brought me all the main national stations. The light (even on dim) is a little bright but I can live with that. I miss being able to alter bass or treble for music/speech.
My one significant criticism is that to change stations you have to press three different buttons - not an easy operation if you are lying in bed in a dark room. Simple buttons labelled 1,2,3 etc would be so much easier. Otherwise I think purchasers will enjoy the product.

Epson Perfection V 600 Photo High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner
Epson Perfection V 600 Photo High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Slide transfer, 19 Jan. 2012
I wanted a scanner which would transfer to my laptop a large quantity of slides taken during the mid 60s to mid 70s which I have not been able to look at for many a long year. Once you get the operating sequence (a few minutes of trial and error) it is simplicity itself. I have also sorted the slides into sensible folders during this transfer - another plus. I tried the 'ICE' feature (removal of dust etc particles) and found it amazingly effective. It takes a little longer using this feature, but restores the slide to modern quality. Altogether an extremely capable machine which is very simple to use.Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Scanning slides to a computer, 13 Jan. 2012
I wanted a scanner which would transfer to my laptop a large quantity of slides taken during the mid 60s to mid 70s which I have not been able to look at for many a long year. Once you get the operating sequence (a few minutes of trial and error) it is simplicity itself. I have also sorted the slides into sensible folders during this transfer - another plus. I tried the 'ICE' feature (removal of dust etc particles) and found it amazingly effective. It takes a little longer using this feature, but restores the slide to modern quality. Altogether an extremely capable machine which is very simple to use.Epson Perfection V600 Photo