Profile for M. D Roberts > Reviews

Content by M. D Roberts

M. D Roberts (Gwent, United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips Sonicare HX8918/10 HealthyWhite Plus Electric Toothbrush and TongueCare
Philips Sonicare HX8918/10 HealthyWhite Plus Electric Toothbrush and TongueCare

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely powerful. Excellent results., 23 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Philips Sonicare HX8918/10 electric toothbrush is considerably more impressive, effective and more powerful than anything I have owned to date.

My first attempt at using this toothbrush was hilarious. I placed the toothpaste on the brush and then switched it on. Due to the power emanating from the head the toothpaste left the brush and forcefully flew across to the far side of the bathroom. Since then I switch on after the toothbrush is actually inside my mouth lol I have also since read the instructions and discovered the plus-minus button which allows you to adjust the intensity/power of brushing.

My teeth now feel as clean after each use as they do after visiting the dentist and having a scale and polish. With the provision of a tongue-brush my entire mouth feels so clean. Although only one head is provided, I have purchased a second and changing the heads is very simple. The boast of this toothbrush whitening your teeth though has sadly not come to fruition, but who wants to look at me anyway.

A travel case is provided but it is sadly not possible to contain the charger in addition to the toothbrush and the elements essential for basic use. A minor niggle but the charger may not be necessary for short trips away, as I have used the toothbrush twice a day for over a week on a single charge and it is still going strong.

This Philips Sonicare HX8918/10 is quite expensive and obviously there are many cheaper toothbrushes out there. That said, this is a quality item which will probably provide years of service and it really gets the job done very well indeed.

Parker Jotter Portobel Purple Chrome Trim Ball Pen Medium Nib - Gift Boxed
Parker Jotter Portobel Purple Chrome Trim Ball Pen Medium Nib - Gift Boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, classic Parker pen., 19 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Parker pen is beautifully made and feels both light and very comfortable in my hand. It writes incredibly smoothly with only the slightest pressure required.

The attractive Parker pen comes with a medium blue refill and has a top half of what appears to be stainless steel, and a lower plastic grip coloured purple. A classic and well proven design wherein the ballpoint of the pen retracts and releases via a single press to the button at the top.

Arriving in an attractive cardboard box, bearing the Parker name and emblem, the pen is immediately presentable as a gift for someone. The reassuring durability of Parker pens and the ready availability of refills being welcome additions.

My previous experience with similar Parker pens of this nature is that they will provide years of constant use if handled with due care. I have no doubt that this will continue to be the case with this Parker Jotter Portobel Purple Chrome Trim Ball Pen.

BIC "KIDs" Activity Drum
BIC "KIDs" Activity Drum

5.0 out of 5 stars My three grand-children loved it. More than enough to keep them all busy for hours., 17 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The description of the kit, comprising some 50 pieces, may initially lead some people to believe that there is more to this item, than what is really quite a useful colouring activity kit for young children in its own right.

The '50 pieces' are actually comprised of the following;-

12 x 'Easy to sharpen colouring pencils,'
12 x 'Ultra washable colouring felt pens.'
12 x 'Extra clean colouring crayons.'
1 x 'Washable glue stick.'
14 x 'Colouring activity templates.'

That said, my three grand-children aged between 2 years and 6 years just couldn't wait to open the attractive 'box-activity drum' clearly displaying the above 'pieces' adjacent to a 'Chipmunk' cartoon character. There was more than enough to go round and satisfy the desires of all three children, who each grabbed what they wanted and went off to play, colour or draw as they saw fit. All of the items listed above being of a reassuring excellent quality.

Indeed, my initial reservations of this 'activity kit' being poor value for money have been dispelled by the many hours of enjoyment my grand-children have embraced over the past few days. The peace and quiet has also been refreshing lol

The 'activity drum,' with its useful carry-handle, has also been used by my grand-children as both a storage facility and a means of transporting their other toys. I dare say the individual items can be purchased more cheaply than as they arrive in this kit, but as a gift you can't really go wrong with this.

The Drone Pilot's Handbook
The Drone Pilot's Handbook
by Adam Juniper

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction and basic guide., 6 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a basic introduction to the world of drone-flying this book is very good indeed. As a complete newcomer myself, I'm in the process of deciding which drone to buy. A few hours with this small book has been extremely worthwhile. Although only some 40 or so of the 160 pages are print, with most of the others comprising of graphics, this didn't bother me at all. In fact I found the graphics first rate, and both very interesting and helpful in their own right.

The book begins without presuming any prior knowledge of drones by the reader and leads the reader through sections on how a drone actually works, with sections containing advice for those who wish to fly drones fitted with cameras, a section dedicated to detailed safety advice and recommended introductory 'missions' to undertake as part of the learning process. The book only touches on the legal basics of drone-flying but coupled with a little common sense and adherence to the safety principles involved, it is really quite straightforward.

The book is laid out in such a manner that it is extremely easy to return to it time and time again for reference. At the end of the day this is a basic guide and an introduction and not a comprehensive book about drones. With that in mind it is an excellent acquisition.

Olympus Tough TG-870 Digital Camera - Green
Olympus Tough TG-870 Digital Camera - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent camera. Sadly no case or SD card provided., 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I've only used this camera for a few days I am extremely pleased with it and the results have been excellent.

After unpacking I became very familiar with the camera after only a few minutes. Everything seemed so straightforward. I thought I must be missing something when I picked up the instruction book which appeared quite large. No worries there though. The size was due to the instructions being provided in so many different languages. The instructions applying to the Olympus Tough TG-870 only comprised about five pages or so and were simple to understand and easy to follow.

The quality of photographs I've been able to obtain has been excellent. There a host of different flash modes including fill-in, automatic, flash-off etc.. I have found the best results to be obtained with the automatic setting to date. There are also a list of differing modes for sports, scenic and 'artistic' shots. The latter providing a number of in-camera effects if desired.

All the functions are switches are quite sturdy and easy to operate. The lens does not expand or contract and, although having quite a room range from extra wide angle to telephoto, is all performed inside the camera body. Hence the camera does not increase in size during the zooming process. However, no lens cover/cap is provided and I always carry my Olympus in a small neoprene camera bag. The tilting LCD is a welcome extra and even allows you to take the dreaded 'selfie' if you are so disposed.

A large range of easily selectible functions and options are available via the menu button but only JPEGs can be taken and no RAW function is available. The camera feels quite rugged and able to survive the 'tough' use that Olympus boasts of. That said I shall treat this camera with the care that I attach to all my other photographic equipment. Of course if you need a camera for the beach, or going out and about, I have no doubt that the Olympus 'Tough' TG-870 will suit your needs and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

My only criticism is that the camera doesn't arrive supplied with either a camera case or an SD card and you have to provide your own. Thanks for listening.

Huggies Pull-Ups Boys Night Time Pants Convenience Pack, Large - 6 Packs (10 Pants Per Pack, 60 Pants Total)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, comfortable and good value for money., 30 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These have greatly helped with my young grandson's potty training. He clearly loves the practice of being able to pull the 'Huggies' up and down by himself. The process is so simple with the stretchy sides and the softness of the pull-ups.

Although now virtually dry during the day, we are not quite there at night yet but my grandson has been eager to use the 'Huggies' and copy his slightly older sister with the toilet process. A little more encouragement and effort and I have no doubt that the 'Huggies' will help him remain dry through the night too, as they did with his elder sister before him.

The 'Huggies' pull-ups are not as bulky as a nappy and are an ideal go-between between nappies and normal clothing during the potty training process. They are easily adjustable, tear-resistant and can re-stick easily if they happen to come undone, something which is quite rare. As a 'bulk' buy at this price you really cannot go wrong with a product of such good quality. Highly recommended. Thanks.

First Light (Penguin World War II Collection)
First Light (Penguin World War II Collection)
by Geoffrey Wellum

5.0 out of 5 stars Conveys an atmosphere of almost 'being there' - the best I've read on the subject., 13 May 2016
Both during and after reading this book, the thoughts of the author after yet again engaging the enemy in another combat mission, kept running through my mind.

"How many will remember or give a thought to, apart from the next of kin, of course, in 20 years time, or 20 months, for that matter, the battles going on over their heads at this moment?"

On Page 188 of the paperback version the writer ponders if people will remember the experiences of himself and his fellow pilots, or just take for granted the fact that German storm-troopers were not parading up and down The Mall or changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace.

He wonders, as he goes into combat again, if the popularity of the RAF pilots will fade and if it will be convenient for future generations to forget in days to come.

Geoffrey 'Boy' Wellum takes the reader through his latter day experiences at school and then as an applicant for the Royal Air Force at the age of 17 years. The RAF entry procedure, the various aspects of training and eventual progression to a RAF fighter squadron are all covered in great detail.

This detail continues apace as Wellum's front line experiences at the age of 19 years, in 92 Squadron of the Royal Air Force, hold the reader's attention on every page. You share the loss as so many of his friends and colleagues are there one day and gone the next.

It has become a cliché that a book is' hard to put down'. Indeed, in recent years few have held my attention in such a manner. That ended as soon as I began reading this exceptional personal account of a RAF fighter pilot's experiences during the Battle of Britain.

I became totally immersed in the combat experiences of Geoffrey Wellum and his colleagues. It almost felt as if you were there alongside him in the Spitfire.

His description of his own thoughts, feelings and the fears during combat illuminated the dog-fights better than any film that I've ever seen. The author manages to convey the atmosphere of almost "being there" better than any other I've read to date.

This is a remarkably honest, well written classic account and an absolute must-read for anyone interested in the Royal Air Force during the Battle Of Britain, and indeed the full context of Word War 2. Highly recommended.

Sugru Home Hacks Made Easy Starter Kit with Single Use Packs and Descriptive Guide in a Tin - Multi-Colour

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Good but not quite Carling', 13 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very useful bit of kit with an enormous range of possible applications. I say possible because experience with Sugru has taught me that each case needs to be treated and approached on its own merits. This extremely practical kit is no different.

Moulding and applying the Sugru is simple and it easily sticks to most surfaces. What concerns me occasionally is the longevity of the Sugru when used under certain circumstances.

For example, my wife's boots began to pull apart very slightly along the rubber toe area. Application of the black Sugru, leaving it overnight, was a simple process and everything appeared to have worked perfectly. Occasional wearing of the boots over a period of just a few days resulted in the Sugru, despite having been applied as per recommendations, cracking and peeling away. A second stronger application had exactly the same results.

Applying Sugru to a slight leak in plastic guttering was again simple and straightforward. The Sugru stuck easily and moulded to the required shape. For three or four days the leak to the guttering disappeared. Then after a day's concentrated sunshine the Sugru cracked and peeled away. A second strong application here, also had exactly the same results.

Using Sugru indoors on a wide range of applications without any undue stress or adverse stress due to wear or weather has had no such problems. It has worked effectively every time. I always keep a supply of Sugru at home now but always base my future use on my past experiences with it. Thanks for listening.

BISSELL ProHeat 2X Revolution Full-Size Carpet Cleaner
BISSELL ProHeat 2X Revolution Full-Size Carpet Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Produces great results and is very simple to use., 24 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Bissell ProHeat 2X cleaner arrives in a relatively small box but this is due to the fact that a little basic assembly is required. A free sample of anti-bacterial additive was listed among the contents but sadly this was missing and I had to purchase it separately. The assembly was simple and only took a few minutes to complete, leaving a very impressive looking machine which really looked as if it meant business. This athough the carpet cleaner is only similar in size to an upright Dyson vacuum cleaner, but perhaps slightly heavier.

The Bissell ProHeat 2X cleaner is also very simple to use. Basically you just need to switch on, hold the trigger and away you go. Two modes are selectable - quick clean or deep. Reading the recommendation, apparently three wet passes are advised over each area of carpet, pushing the cleaner forward, back and then forward once more. This process is usually adequate but often I find it best to repeat in the dry mode, which helps with the drying time of about one hour or so.

The Bissell ProHeat 2X begins to feel quite hefty after use for any length of time, especially when loaded with the recommended amount of water etc., but it is reassuringly sturdy at the same time. The results on my carpets have been first class. With two German Shepherd dogs the carpets take a great deal of wear and tear, not to mention the dirt dragged in after each walk.

The Bissell ProHeat 2X is worth every penny and has given my carpets a new lease of life. After a couple of weeks use I have no criticisms. I only hope its longevity lives up to expectations too. Highly recommended.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Sensitive Razor Blades - Pack of 8
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Sensitive Razor Blades - Pack of 8

5.0 out of 5 stars A close shave without any irritation., 17 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For many years now I have been using Gillette products, including razors and shaving foam. With that in mind I can but compare this product against what I have been using to date.

The specific Gillette Fusion razor that I've been using for some time being a very similar beast to the Wilkinsons Sword Hydro 5, it also having 5 blades and a similar head. Having been very satisfied with the Gillette razor it will take a very good razor to persuade me to change. Along comes the Hydro 5 from Wilkinson. My thoughts?

My initial impression of the Hydro 5 razor was that it felt a little more "plasticky" and less solid than the equivalent Gillette Fusion product. That said, I found the Hydro 5 razor felt good in the hand with a well-balanced handle. The more I used it the more I liked it.

The five blades of the Hydro 5 easily and smoothly glide over your face. With a fresh blade, there is no irritation and virtually no catching on stubble. My stubble being considerable and thick. No razor burn here either. I understand that the Hydro 5 has a water-activated gel, including aloe vera, which takes the place of ordinary lubricating strips, with the gel allegedly lasting twice as long. A welcome addition for those with sensitive skin. It certainly worked for me.

The five blades of the Hydro 5 appear to be spaced slightly wider apart than the competition but still provide an equally close shave. Their spacing also appears to assist in cleaning the blades after each shave. A quick rinse being sufficient to wash away all shaving residue. Far easier than with any other razor blades I've used.

Which do I prefer between the Gillette and Wilkinson? I like them both and have no hesitation in recommending the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5. The Gillette blades have always lasted a considerable time despite daily use upon thick stubble. Only time will tell how the Hydro 5 fares on this issue. After a week's use the blades still appear to be as good as new and every shave has been as close as the first. Thanks for listening.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20