Profile for Dudleian > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Black Country
Black Country

5.0 out of 5 stars wherever girls’ voices are lost, / I am, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Black Country (Kindle Edition)
Black Country is Liz Berry’s first full poetry collection and it leads off with “Bird” in which the poet is transformed. The choice is appropriate for a first collection as "Bird" is one of those statements of poetic intent that poets write early in their career, laying claim to their domain:

I raised my throat to the wind
and this is what I sang…

It is also an appropriate statement of intent for the collection: birds roost everywhere in its pages - starlings, throstles, wrens, sparrows, swallows, larks, pigeons filthy with petrol - in poems ranging from the documentary Grasshopper Warbler to the fantasy of The Year We Married Birds.

A lot of the early poems are written in the persona of Berry's younger self and have a wonderful, ferocious energy. Her use of dialect and phonetic spelling fully justifies the title of the book. I think that dialect is technically hard to pull off in poetry: it often feels like the poet is stretching for an authenticity or a connection that they do not have the rights to, even when that is not the case. Everything in Black Country is earned and unaffected. Berry has lived and breathed these words, or if she hasn’t she’s such a damned good writer that it doesn’t matter. The book switches effortlessly between poems in “pure” English, poems spotted with local cant, and poems larded with dialect like Sow, without any obvious change in quality or authorial control.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2014 4:50 PM BST

Anathem
Anathem

3.0 out of 5 stars Anathem Anathema Anthem, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Anathem (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Snow Crash which is still paint fresh after 20 years, despite the incredible changes in IT in the interim. The story starts with blazing action, and doesn't let up until the end, despite a stream of ideas spilling out like flares from a firework along the way.

I bought this expecting another/different/better version of Snow Crash. If that's what you are looking for, walk away now. I've read a lot of Sci Fi and fantasy and I'm not allergic to opaque terminology, unfamiliar history, invented societies, and mind-boggling mores. I'm willing to work my way through a fair bit of that if there are rewards on offer, but after the seventy page info dump (and I use the word advisedly) at the start of this book, I just gave up. I'm sure things getter better if you make the effort to trudge on through the wilderness, and this book is adored by a lot of people. But I'm just a bit too near the exit door to want to struggle so hard for so long for so little reward.

Tales from Terra Firma
Tales from Terra Firma

5.0 out of 5 stars On firm ground with difficult second album, 18 Mar 2013
Dire Straits stormed out of the blocks with their eponymous first album, and then nearly disappeared without trace with the follow up Communique (I don't think even Mark Knopfler's mum likes Lady Writer).

I really, really didn't want that to happen to Stornoway after a first album that is one of my desert island choices, so it was with some trepidation that I downloaded this and pressed play.

Fortunately I needn't have worried. Everything is in place and working as well as ever: weird bird references, recherche instrumentation, intelligent songs you can sing along to - check, check, check.

You have to worry that groups like Stornoway are as endangered as the albatross given the current state of popular music, but I'm glad to say they seem to be in wonderful health.

Buy without fear of remorse.

The Red House
The Red House

5.0 out of 5 stars What he said, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Red House (Kindle Edition)
The other reviewers have said it all. Very well written, interesting story and characters, no neat ending/resolution. The use of eight voices to tell the story is sustained throughout and is a technical tour de force. I enjoyed this and found it easy to follow, but I can understand why others did not. Sartre does something similar in La mort dans l'âme, and by Timothy that's infinitely harder going (and less rewarding) than TRH.

Slow River (S.F. Masterworks)
Slow River (S.F. Masterworks)

3.0 out of 5 stars How much do you need to know about water purification?, 10 Jan 2013
This novel started really well and promised a lot, and is well written. But then the heroine gets a job in a water purification plant and suddenly I am learning far more than I need about how to purify water. A whole lot more than I need. I want excitement, mystery, a roller coaster of emotions. I'm not revising for an interview at my local sewage farm.

Nicola Griffith is a good writer and very well regarded so this could just be a personal reaction, but I couldn't make it through this book.

Gerber Dime Micro Tool - Green
Gerber Dime Micro Tool - Green
Offered by Millertag Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, cheap multi tools, 10 Jan 2013
Bulkier and heavier than many micro tools, but in return you get a robust-for-their-size set of pliers which are perfectly usable. All of the tools work well, but the real gem is the blade for opening tamper-proof clam shell packaging. Clam shells are pretty much impossible to open with your bare hands (I suppose that's the idea), but a snip with the hook shaped blade in this tool. For the money there is nothing to dislike about this tool.

Swimming Home: Shortlisted for Man Booker Prize 2012
Swimming Home: Shortlisted for Man Booker Prize 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars More or Less, 10 Nov 2012
This is a good book and worth the time you will spend reading it. At the end I was left feeling that either it was too short (I "got" that the main character's wartime experiences as a jew were important to the story, but really didn't understand how or why - at least at anything more than a superficial level) or it was too long (it could have left a lot of the stuff it half explained totally unexplained engendering an air of both mystery and universality).

That said, I was glad that I had read the book when I finished it, which is more than I can say for A Sense of An Ending that I read around the same time.

Dangerous Visions (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Dangerous Visions (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Harlan Ellison

3.0 out of 5 stars Of its time, 11 July 2012
A generous and eclectic selection from a mixture of well remembered and now forgotten authors. As you might expect the stories which seemed most groundbreaking and zeitgeisty when they were first published are the ones which have aged least well, some becoming almost unreadable IMO. nevertheless this is such a big book you still get your money worth.

Stanley 010855 Folding Utility Knife
Stanley 010855 Folding Utility Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and ergonomic, 14 April 2011
Uses standard, replaceable Stanley blades. Very ergonomic, with a good locking mechanism. Thin, but the all metal construction means it is not flimsy. Easy to clip to a pocket or a bag. Recommended if you want a Stanley blade which is compact and easily portable: some of the other Stanley blade holders are huge in comparison.

Kiwifotos Lens Mount Adapter: Allows 99% of Leica M lenses to be used on any Micro Four Thirds System Body
Offered by PowerPlanet UK - typ. 5-7 working days

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 14 April 2011
Used this to mount various M and screw mount (with an M adapter) lenses to my EP2. They all worked fine. Seems well made and robust. There's a lock tab so that you don't unscrew the M lens by accident. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2