Profile for KJ > Reviews

Content by KJ

KJ "Karen" (Northampton UK)

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best book I've ever read, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
I don't feel moved to write reviews the last time was ten years ago for Steinbeck's Cannery Row. I was blissfully unaware of the mixed reviews of this novel nor,until I finished it,did I know it had won a Pulitzer. The first chapter didn't grip me, but I was intrigued enough to continue. I am so very glad I did as I was quickly drawn into one of those rare master pieces that changes you, educates you, makes you look at art and life with fresh eyes. I'm not going to precis the story..amazon does a good enough job of that and as for the last few pages rambling. ...I'm glad, I didn't want to let Theo go just yet and if someone can write like this I'd forgive them anything. I have ordered all of Donna's other novels and I can't wait to read them. Thank you Ms Tarrt for a work of complete genius.

In Your Prime: Older, Wiser, Happier
In Your Prime: Older, Wiser, Happier

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 8 Nov. 2014
duplicated content with another book

Moon Shoes (Various Styles)
Moon Shoes (Various Styles)
Offered by gayaza70

3.0 out of 5 stars moon shoes, 28 Sept. 2009
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Moon Shoes (Various Styles) (Toy)
played with for two minutes then left in favour of skates and bikes. I wouldn't bother

Cannery Row (Penguin Modern Classics)
Cannery Row (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Steinbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, funny, warm and inciteful, 18 July 2006
On appearances this book appears surprisingly small. Once opened though every sentence grabs you. Steinbeck describes scenes and characters so vividly, with such unusual imagery, that even after finishing the book I find myself still recalling parts of it,even reciting parts of the book back to myself just to remember how beautifully phrased the words were. Sad, perhaps, but then you don't know until you read it yourself.There is no plot particularly. There seems no aim, just day to day life in a small community (I won't say Amercian community because these characters could be from any country). I was sorry to finish it and like many of the other reviewers, I will definately read more Steinbeck.