Profile for C. Jack > Reviews

Content by C. Jack

C. Jack "colinjack" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Contigo Aria Autoseal Stainless Steel Mug - 470 ml - Grey/Black
Contigo Aria Autoseal Stainless Steel Mug - 470 ml - Grey/Black
Offered by Gizoo - Gadgets & Gifts
Price: 26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Aug 2014
I love the auto-seal functionality and find I can safely leave it in my bag, and I find the cup very easy to drink with.

I can't comment on its ability to keep liquids hot for long periods though as that's not the way I use it.

Hada Del Cafe Medium Roast Ground Coffee (Pack of 2)
Hada Del Cafe Medium Roast Ground Coffee (Pack of 2)
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Too coarsely ground but otherwise bang on, 12 Aug 2014
Very nice coffee but it was very coarsely ground. That left the water going straight through the coffee in my V60 dripper and the resulting coffee wasn't maybe as strong as I'd have liked.

Still I'll play around with it and given how nice the coffee is and the ethical approach of the company I will definitely be buying it again.

Caddyshack [DVD] [1980]
Caddyshack [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Chevy Chase
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 2.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very funny, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Caddyshack [DVD] [1980] (DVD)
I was amazed how few laughs there were in this. Sure there were a few funny scenes including the pool scene and a few with Rodney Dangerfield, but really most of the film is just made up of unfunny sketches that don't really fit well together.

I also think that the ad lib nature of a lot of it shows particularly when you are talking about Bill Murray who I normally love but who was pretty terrible in this.

The Martian
The Martian
Price: 4.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Grew on me, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
My initial impressions of this book were poor, in particular I found the main character pretty annoying and didn't find his witty teenager behavior all that convincing. As the book carries on though he grows on you and the story gets more and more interesting as he continually struggles for survival. Some of it was a bit technical but that's a small complaint.

Nexus
Nexus
Price: 3.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Nexus (Kindle Edition)
Its definitely a page turner and has a lot of the elements of early William Gibson books but I couldn't really connect to it (unintended pun). In part it was because the tech was silly and the main characters a bit drab and boring but I also didn't think it was really that well written. Its obviously done the job for other people though so I'm obviously in the minority.

Promise of Blood (Powder Mage Trilogy)
Promise of Blood (Powder Mage Trilogy)
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, 11 Jun 2014
As others have said the book starts pretty poorly.

You're thrown right into the middle of the action and the author introduces character after character and idea after idea without giving you the context you need to make sense of it.

It gets slightly better as the book proceeds though, however there were three further problems through the entire book.

The first is that some explanations are poor and rushed, to the point where during key events I actually couldn't understand what was going on. That's a new one for me, I've read some poorly written books but very few where I felt the author was completely failing to explain the events.

The other issue is the behavior of some of the characters, in particular Tamas and his son. These characters are your classic hero types but to give it a gritty edge their behavior is often pretty poor. That can be explained by the brutal world they are living in but I found odd is that the people around them never call them out on some of their worst acts, in fact they don't event mention it.

Lastly the magic system didn't really add up, an example being that the powers of the Privileged were never explained and whilst in one page they'd seem godlike in another their powers seemed pathetic.

Lastly I think its a pity that a self published book that's the start of a new series is so expensive in Kindle format. That is bound to restrict the number of people who will buy it and thus seems a bit short sighted. I'm not taking off any marks for the price though.

Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy 3)
Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy 3)
Price: 4.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Alan Saul, Demigod, Complete Idiot, 5 Jun 2014
I'm a big fan of Neal Asher and liked the series but this book had two problems that I consider pretty inexcusable, especially considering they existed in the previous book.

The first is a lot of it is quite boring, there's only going to be one or at most a couple of encounters between Earth and Saul's station/ship. Asher thus spends large sections padding things out with stuff about about changes to the ship and technologies. That stuff is dull, it'd be one thing if the technology was something tangible like the Proctors but when its just a new weapon or changes to support the new engine it quickly gets tiresome.

The second issue is Saul is supposed to be a demigod but given that how is he put in a situation where he isn't just wiping his enemies away. The answer is we get yet more mutinies and more annoyingly he proves himself to be a complete idiot. I mean he's a demigod but he doesn't work out they could turn the new engine into a weapon and furthermore a delivery mechanism for a weapon. That wouldn't even require a mental leap, people try to weaponise every new technology.

Even more annoying not only can Saul not work it out but neither can his weapon experts, his proctors, his other technology experts. There is literally no-one on board who has thought "hrm, wonder if this warp technology could be used as a weapon".

Its ridiculous, among the most annoying and ludicrous plot devices I've ever read and means the book should be reclassified as fantasy.

Anyway its been a good trilogy but this book, when judged on its own, is not that great.

White House Down [DVD] [2013]
White House Down [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Channing Tatum
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly but fun, 2 Jun 2014
It is a load of silly cliched nonsense but that can be forgiven as its also great fun and is lifted by a good cast. Reminds me most of Die Hard which can't be a bad thing.

Last Passenger [DVD]
Last Passenger [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dougray Scott
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Last Passenger [DVD] (DVD)
Its hard to believe a film set entirely on a train could be enjoyable but this definitely succeeds. Really reallygood.

Traitor's Blade (The Greatcoats)
Traitor's Blade (The Greatcoats)
Price: 4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 19 May 2014
Really good book, fast paced and intense. It does have its flaws, in particular the Tailor is an irritation and her abilities detract from the end of the book, I also disliked the narration we got early in the book. Those are small problems though and in general the book is well worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20