ARRAY(0xab8da180)

Profile for C. Jack > Reviews

Content by C. Jack

C. Jack "colinjack" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jack Reacher [DVD]
Jack Reacher [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by themediamerchants
Price: 6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Not interested in comparisons to the book, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
I had never even heard of the books but founds this a way above average action film. Cruise is difficult to warm to but he's OK in this, so although he is the weak point he doesn't stop if being great entertainment.

Bitter Seeds (The Milkweed Triptych)
Bitter Seeds (The Milkweed Triptych)
Price: 3.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as much fun as I was expecting, 17 Aug 2013
I was drawn to the book by the interesting plot and Cory Doctorow's "Mad English warlocks battling twisted Nazi psychics? Yes please, thank you." comment. I agree, yes please.

However the book was far grimmer than I'd expected and all the main characters are either sociopaths or are decent people driven to, and in turn destroyed by, horrendous actions. I think that's part of the point of the book, that the desire to win a war can drive people to terrible acts. However the fact that I didn't actually like any of the characters created a problem.

The plot itself was decent enough, it moved along at a decent rate until being let down by a typical trilogy non-ending, however its difficult to get too involved in a book where you dislike all of the characters so I'm not sure I'll bother with the rest of the series.

Ironclad [DVD] [2011]
Ironclad [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ James Purefoy
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkly enjoyable, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Ironclad [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Dark and gritty film with some of the best action scenes I have seen in a while, it has its flaws but is well worth a viewing.

Killing Them Softly [Blu-ray]
Killing Them Softly [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews are way too negative, 11 Aug 2013
This is a character and dialogue driven mob movie, if you don't like that sort of film you won't enjoy it. Luckily I do and found it superb, I can't think of any recent similiar films which is great, sometimes its nice that a film tries something different. So in summary this is sombre and gritty but superby entertaining in its own way.

Rage: Anarchy Edition (PC DVD)
Rage: Anarchy Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by IDSS
Price: 4.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I remembered it, 8 Aug 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The game clearly has flaws bu I just started playing it again and its better than I remembered it as, a decent FPS is how I'd describe it and at the current price definitely worth a shot.

Muchacho [+digital booklet]
Muchacho [+digital booklet]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Aug 2013
Brilliant brilliant album full of excellent songs with "Song for Zula" and "Ride On, Right On" alone being good enough to justify buying it.

Best Served Cold
Best Served Cold
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not saved by the characters, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Best Served Cold (Kindle Edition)
By this point its clear this series of books is grimly pleasurable, entertaining and in some cases entertainingly nasty characters in well written stories. The big flaw has been that the characters are presented as pawns in the games of the magi so everything has a rather pointless feel (nothing ever even threatens to get better).

This book has the same flaw but unfortunately the characters are all either 2D or completely unlikable so they can't make up for the other flaws. It also seems like a book you can skip without losing much in terms of the overall magi driven story, assuming that story is even going anywhere.

The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One
The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Grim but enjoyable, 4 Aug 2013
The series starts off well with some good characters and action, Logan in particular is an excellent character and its worth reading the book just for him.

One word of warning about the series as a while though, as we learn the major characters are treated like chess pieces by the immortal magi. That can leave the events in the books not only feeling overly grim but also pretty pointless. This situation is made more annoying by the fact that from book to book the magi storyline hardly moves forward at all, we know there's a big squabble between them coming but its not really gotten moving yet.

Having said that this isn't really a problem for the first three books, the First Law trilogy, and I'd definitely recommend them.

The Grim Company: 1
The Grim Company: 1
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like Joe Abercrombie..., 4 Aug 2013
I've been reading a lot of fantasy recently and I must admit I was quite looking forward to this book, however I found it a bit of a letdown.

My first issue is that although fantasy is often derivative I thought this book took it too far. To say it seemed to be influenced by Joe Abercrombie is an understatement. I don't normally mind that, especially in fantasy where certain themes are explored again and again, but here it seemed a bit too in your face and shameless.

Having said that the similarity to Joe Abercrombie wouldn't have mattered so much if he hadn't quickly fallen into the same hole that Joe Abercrombie fell into, namely that as his writing got darker it also lost a lot of its enjoyment. Most of Abercrombie's books got away with it though because many of his characters are quite enjoyable. That isn't really true here, with most of the main characters seeming like very very light weight copies of characters from the First Law trilogy. There's an attempt to fill them out a bit, make them less 2D and cliched and even bring in a bit of humour, but it didn't really work out too well.

In addition one complaint I have about Abercrombie's books is that the events can seem pointless as at the end of each book he rams down your throat the fact that none of what happened mattered, we're back to square one as it was all just a tiny step in the ongoing battle between the magi. I had the same feeling here, the end of the book has a whole series of back stabbings and U-turns which, while maybe realistic, would have seemed better to me as introductions to the next book.

Having said that it isn't an awful book, its just highly derivative and has most of the flaws of the work its influenced by but few of the positives. With that in mind if you haven't read Joe Abercrombie's books or like them and want to read more of the same then this is probably for you.

Slab City Blues: The Ballad of Bad Jack
Slab City Blues: The Ballad of Bad Jack
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Good continuation, 30 July 2013
Another quality novella in the series, my only real complaint is there were far too many typos but they didn't act as anything more than a mild irritant.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20