Profile for C. Jack > Reviews

Content by C. Jack

C. Jack "colinjack" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Five-Mode Power Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide
Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Five-Mode Power Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide
Price: 84.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going, 30 Jan 2014
We've been using this toothbrush consistently for quite a while now and its still ever reliable and trustworthy which is all we can ask for.

Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty
Price: 105.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 30 Jan 2014
I bought this when my previous modem started to be erratic and don't regret it. Its rock solidly in terms of reliable and although the range isn't quite what I was hoping for it isn't awful. If I was buying one now though I would consider going for one of the new models with the improved standards.

Hario Medium Glass Hand Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burrs, Clear
Hario Medium Glass Hand Coffee Grinder with Ceramic Burrs, Clear
Offered by Japan Anime
Price: 21.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Good grinder but..., 30 Jan 2014
Excellent grinder that does take a lot of effort but produces good consistent results. My only complaint is despite being careful with it the glass neck is already chipped in two places where it meets the grinder bit. I think this has happened when I take on and off the top bit, I've been pretty careful with it though so it does make me think the glass is maybe a bit overly delicate.

7.5 inch chimney draught excluder
7.5 inch chimney draught excluder
Offered by Chimney Sheep
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: 7.5 inch chimney draught excluder
Only just started using it but it seems to work. Went up the chimney easily and securely and seems to entirely block the draught which is excellent.

The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)
The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jan 2014
This book is basically escapism with a decent story, good characters, lots of action, and a little humor in places. Luckily its also very well written.

My only complaint was I thought in places it was trying too hard to be dark and gritty, probably in an attempt to outdo even Joe Abercrombie which it owes a lot to. I'm not worried about swearing but the number of c-bombs in the book actually began to seem a bit silly by the end, it seemed like the author is just throwing it in there for the shock value which weakened its impact noticeably.

Still its an enjoyable book and I've already ordered the next in the series.

Lorik The Protector (Lorik Trilogy Book 2)
Lorik The Protector (Lorik Trilogy Book 2)
Price: 1.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Based on sample..., 20 Jan 2014
I'm basing this review on the sample but after reading a couple of the authors books and having the same issues I thought I might as well add a review. The book seems interesting but even in the sample the characters are annoying. Lorik seems annoyingly mopey and the behavior of the other main characters seems nonsensical and annoying. If I hadn't read his other books I might have bought this one based on the sample but since I have...

John Wizards
John Wizards
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: John Wizards (Audio CD)
I got this based on the fact it was in the Guardian's top ten albums of the year and wasn't let down. Its varied and generally quite enjoyable.

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware the trolls, 15 Jan 2014
First off I wanted to say something about the most negative reviews. In my opinion a lot of them are from people who went into the book expecting it to be bad, and they can't hide their glee at finding that in places the writing style has changed. Luckily the reactions from these people turns out to be totally and completely over the top.

Onto my review. The first issue to address is whether his illness and the resulting move to dictation has changed his writing style. The answer is that in some small way it maybe has, there are some sections where the writing doesn't have the usual fluency and drive. There are also a few isolated sentences that don't make much sense. Oh well, not exactly the end of the world and in truth after a few chapters I'd adapted and anyway Pratchett is so far ahead of any other author that a few mistakes matter not a jot.

That's the negativity out of the way, other than that the book is just an excellent Discworld novel. Its enjoyable, its positive, its difficult to put down, everything you'd expect. If you liked his previous books you'll like this one too.

Onto one other aspect that I think is annoying some of the reviewers, namely the progression you see in the Discworld itself. My memory of the early books is that despite their interesting aspects many of the characters fitted classic fantasy archetypes. Wizards, warriors, werewolves, vampires, etc. In this book, and in some the other recent books, you've seen the emergence of new types of characters. Journalists, businessmen, engineers. That's because Ankh Morpork is moving forward, becoming more modern. Personally I love that but some of his fans don't seem to like change.

In summary I'd put this one near the top in terms of enjoyment and recommend it highly. I hope Pratchett keeps going but if it is the last one he writes then its a good end to a phenomenal series.

The Host [DVD]
The Host [DVD]
Dvd ~ Saoirse Ronan
Offered by Venture Online
Price: 4.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Host [DVD] (DVD)
Having just watched this I can see why it got panned by the critics. The actings OK but the plot is horrendous, I actually found myself laughing at a lot of it and even the bits that weren't intentionally funny made very little sense.

Magic Awakening (The Five Kingdoms Book 2)
Magic Awakening (The Five Kingdoms Book 2)
Price: 1.94

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 11 Jan 2014
The series started strongly and there's some great ideas and action early on in book one but unfortunately by the second book things have slowed down a lot. In fact it slowed down so much that you end up with page after page passed with almost nothing happened other than making of meals and lots of repetitive boring dialogue. A lot of the dialog is relates to the confused feelings characters had for each other, a little of it would have been fine but it seemed like most pages had long sections exploring the confused feelings.

The main character is also supposed to be amazingly powerful which seems to bother the author so in key bits of the book he makes him a witless idiot whose inattentiveness means he's always getting stabbed, hit on the head, or shot with poison darts. You actually don't mind this as he's a bit of a wet blanket but it does mean his magic is mainly used healing, heating rocks to keep people warm, lighting fires, packing down snow, and other boring nonsense. There's the odd badly described battle between magicians but given how annoying some of the other characters are, and given how often people try to kill him, I wish he'd get on with smiting them.

The narration is also annoying and un-necessary and quite often its just re-explaining something the authors covered innumerable times before.

Oh and every single one of the characters is boring, two dimensional, behaviorally inconsistent, and none of them have any wit or charm.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20