Profile for C. Jack > Reviews

Content by C. Jack

C. Jack "colinjack" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster, 20 Mar. 2014
The negative reviews all focus on what this film isn't, what it doesn't even try to be. Their approach would be equivalent to me reviewing the newest Woody Allen film and criticizing it for not having enough high paced thrills.

Its far better to focus on what this film delivers, a 90 minute sci-fi thrill ride that completely changes what "space" films will need to deliver from here on in.

Predators [Blu-ray]
Predators [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Danny Trejo
Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Predators [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I don't understand why this film got slated by critics, its a great sci-fi action film thats also a bit smarter than the norm. Good stuff.

AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Portable Mini Soft Cushioned Headphones with In-Line Volume Remote and Microphone Compatible with iOS Apple Devices - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Mar. 2014
I bought these based on their What Hi-Fi awards and wasn't let down, the build and sound quality are excellent and far better than other more expensive headphones I've bought in the past.

Bodum LATTEO Milk Frother (Glass Handle, Heat Resistant, 0.25  L/8 oz) - Black
Bodum LATTEO Milk Frother (Glass Handle, Heat Resistant, 0.25 L/8 oz) - Black
Offered by Harts Of Stur

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, 18 Mar. 2014
Creates good frothy milk very easily and you can then heat it in the microwave so the results are perfect.

Sojourn: The Legend of Drizzt, Book III
Sojourn: The Legend of Drizzt, Book III

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps giving too much away, 18 Mar. 2014
Great series but I'm very irritated that the author keeps making forward references to events and characters that have not happened. For example I haven't yet read a single page including Wulfgar but the authors already referenced his actions in many events yet to happen in the series.

Exile: The Legend of Drizzt, Book II
Exile: The Legend of Drizzt, Book II

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 14 Mar. 2014
Really great second book with interesting characters and a good plot. My only slight complaint is I could do without the narration at the start of each chapter and the bits where someone makes a decision and the author immediately tells us it was a bad one. Still those are tiny tiny issues.

Homeland: The Legend of Drizzt, Book I
Homeland: The Legend of Drizzt, Book I

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Excellent, 7 Mar. 2014
I've no idea why I've never heard of this series before now as if the other books are as good as this one its something of a classic. Difficult to think of anything bad to say about it and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Time Of The Knights (The Dragon Knight Order Series Book 2)
Time Of The Knights (The Dragon Knight Order Series Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak, 25 Feb. 2014
Although the first book in the series was awful I put that down to the author finding his feet so I thought I'd give this one a shot.

Unfortunately this book has the same flaws. The first thing you will notice is the horribly broken english and poor writing. There's also an annoying amount of logic errors, for example one character says he's not comfortable with the idea of payment, another character questions him on it and the first character replies that he never said he wasn't comfortable with the idea of payment. There's really no excuse for such silly mistakes, even if no-one other than the author had read the book before publishing it I would have expected better.

On their own the issues would make it very hard to take the book seriously but the story is also still paper thin and I continued to wonder why the main character seemed so fortunate. He's gone from orphan to dragon knight, to essentially leader of the dragon knights, to natural, to noble, to head of a noble house, to having dragon companions, to having a powerful being in his eyes, to having a dragon heart and thus being a potential god.

This all happened without the main character actually having to do anything much. Its like the author loves the whole computer game style upgrade idea and so ends up spending large amounts of the book showering them on the main character, when he should maybe have thought about how to tell a more interesting story. It actually goes further than that though, for example without any real explanation the character becomes an excellent sword fighter able to hold off two mature powerful opponents.

Its also quite difficult to follow and seemed a bit daft, this is partly due to the pidgin english but its more than that. As an example at one point the character realizes he has a "dragon heart". This is poorly explained but we find the partial dragon soul from the dragon heart is able to deal with the devourer in his eyes. Shortly after during an attack the devourer explains he'll let the dragon knight use his eyes but the character will then go temporarily blind (can't remember why and wasn't much sure it made sense). Then it turns out the person he's fighting is an ancient dragon whose also eaten dragon hearts...you get the idea. I know the plot of any fantasy book could seem silly but this book pushes it to the limit.

Anyway there seems no point continuing, I had hoped for more than we got from the first book but of anything this one was worse and I will definitely not be reading on.

The Dragon Knight Order
The Dragon Knight Order

2.0 out of 5 stars Readable, 23 Feb. 2014
The first thing you will notice in the book is the broken English and large amount of typos and poorly constructed sentences.

Unfortunately you will then also notice the story is weak, the characters boring, the descriptions of key events are lacking (to the point where the author just skips them completely in places), and that large sections of the book seem like they are just a badly narrated laundry list of events.

Having said all that I have read worse books recently and despite its flaws I did enjoy a good amount of the book so I am actually glad I read it.

The Godling Chronicles: The Sword of Truth (Book One)
The Godling Chronicles: The Sword of Truth (Book One)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 18 Feb. 2014
I've read some good debut fantasy recently and based on the interesting start to this book I was expecting a lot. Unfortunately it failed to live up to my expectations.

The characters are cliched archetypes and all fit into the old school hero or villain camp, there's no subtlety in any of them and there are definitely no interesting anti-heroes. I wondered if this was because the author was writing this for his son and maybe its actually aimed at a young audience.

What plot there is I found plodding and boring. The few bits of action that happen are quickly glossed over as if the author is embarrassed by them and wants to move back onto the slow boring dialogue that he seems to enjoy.

It also seems to need a good edit to help improve the writing. I'm not speaking of typos here, its more that the the writing is lumpen and stodgy, which I found hard to put up with. There's also silly things like you have a few characters walking into a room and starting a discussion then suddenly some other characters replying which just leaves you wondering where they came from.

The overall story also failed to interest me, it was basically just a side quest from some bad RPG computer game. That's not a slight on computer games, many good ones have excellent stories which this book doesn't even aspire to match.

Two final things. The love stories are truly awful and as I got further through the book I skipped those sections. The main characters progression also isn't handled at all well, he seems to progress absurdly quickly and in fits and starts which didn't work for me at all.

There's probably a lot more I could say but I don't know if its worth continuing so I'm going to give up here and say that its not a book I'd recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20