Profile for kindler > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Run
Run

2.0 out of 5 stars A generous two stars., 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Contrary to many reviewers, I didn't enjoy this particularly much. It was an easy read with plenty of action but I felt it fell just a little too far toward ridiculous. The editing was abysmal and I had to re-read several passages multiple times before I even understood what he was trying to say - a bit of proof-reading could easily sort that out. The story is far-fetched and kind of ludicrous. The execution wavers between boring cliches and utter ridiculousness.

City of Fear
City of Fear

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: City of Fear (Kindle Edition)
I think Alafair Burke is fast becoming one to watch. Her novels could easily be made into great films. Great writing, brilliant stories and characters - I can't sing the praises enough. Really clever, gripping crime thriller material.

Raiders of the Lost Car Park (The Cornelius Murphy Trilogy Book 2)
Raiders of the Lost Car Park (The Cornelius Murphy Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars This story is fantastic and fantastical, 18 Aug 2014
Robert Rankin, as ever, is witty and hilarious and surreal and very British. This story is fantastic and fantastical, farcical and funny. Recommended to anyone, particularly Brits.

Superfood Legumes for Health - Benefits of Including Organic Super Beans in Your Diet (Superfoods Series Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and interesting., 18 Aug 2014
Informative and interesting.

Is It Just Me? Free First Chapter
Is It Just Me? Free First Chapter

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to TV., 18 Aug 2014
Miranda's charm and humour in person and on screen do not translate well into the written format. I found it forced and annoying.

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds

4.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic for sure., 18 Aug 2014
This is such a classic, I don't know where to begin reviewing it, or if I should even bother. What hasn't been said about this book before?

Silver Linings Playbook
Silver Linings Playbook

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., 18 Aug 2014
I read this having heard good reviews of the film (I hadn't seen it at the time - I have since seen it and prefer the book).

This is a touching story of a man suffering from mental illness following the breakdown of his marriage. He has just been released from hospital and is living back at home, working on self-improvement and getting back on track, with a somewhat unrealistic view to getting his wife back. He is a sweet character, whose innocence at first comes across as false or annoying, but quickly grows on you.

We meet a range of amazing characters in Pat's life, including his absent wife Nikki, his therapist Cliff, his brothers who are all mad about football, the all-Indian football club and their bus, his mother and his would-be girlfriend Tiffany. I found it to be a gritty, realistic yet warm view on a man's struggle with mental illness. On a wider level, it explores the concepts of self-improvement, self-awareness, the notion of 'normality' in people and how you can sometimes find support in the unlikeliest places.

The flaw with this for me would be the amount of football content. As someone completely uninterested in sports, even unable to follow the rules of American football, I felt there was just too much of if in there. I'm sure it was great for all of you who like football and follow it, and it was justified as the character and his brothers all love it and he bonds with his therapist and meets some friends and enemies through it.

I think the book leaves you with a feeling of hope and optimism.

Paper Towns
Paper Towns

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling., 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Paper Towns (Kindle Edition)
This is one of my favourite John Green novels. As ever, he manages to write a YA novel that appeals to adults too, with plenty of quirky detail and touching moments. The characters are well rounded and you feel like you get to know them on what is essentially a fairly intimate premise of a road trip. John Green captures the sense of the future that you experience when you're in your teens. A blend of comedy, drama, teen angst, regular angst, realism, intelligence and touching detail.

David Mitchell: Back Story
David Mitchell: Back Story

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 18 Aug 2014
Written with the same acerbic wit and intelligent commentary as you expect from David Mitchell on the TV, this book is alternately hilarious and thought-provoking. His personality shines through, unchanged. There are plenty of hilarious and troubling anecdotes and celebrity appearances. His admiration of Victoria Coren in the book is rather adorable. There is no narrative or linear structure as such - it's more a series of thoughts and rants and recounting stories as he walks around London. Recommended for anyone who enjoys seeing him on the TV.

Thirteen Reasons Why
Thirteen Reasons Why

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to Review., 18 Aug 2014
I was recommended this because I enjoy John Green's books. It is a YA novel and I think not as effective as Green's work but interesting nonetheless. The book is surprisingly authentic and you do find yourself relating to the central character. The premise is original and interesting. My enjoyment of this book was limited by my dislike of Hannah (and I felt that she didn't represent a suicidal teen or person very accurately) but I perservered with it - as an adult reading YA fiction, you have to remember that when you're a teenager, everything is more dramatic and intensified at both ends of the emotional spectrum. It can be quite dark and heavy and you should be prepared for that - not recommended for anyone in a fragile emotional state. I am wary of trivilaising suicide or depression, though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12