Profile for Dr. Richard W. Gray > Reviews

Content by Dr. Richard W....

Dr. Richard W. Gray "richy1965" (Sussex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
5 x G9 28w Clear ECO Halogen Capsule Bulbs 220-240v Energy Saving 28w with 40w Light output
Offered by Leonlighting

3.0 out of 5 stars Variable life-span, 28 Dec 2012
Bulbs in general have a highly variable life-span. The average life is usually determined by running loads of them until 50% have failed! This means that some will last much longer, perhaps many years, while others can die in just days. I bought five of these a year ago, and five more six months ago, to use in just one lamp in my living room that tends to be on most of the time. Some have lasted many weeks, others just days. At 2,000 hours, ten bulbs should last me 3.5 years at up to 16 hours per day. Of course, the testing regime does not reflect the realities of (a) switching on and off; (b) using a dimmer (c) adjusting the anglepoise. I only use (a) a couple of times a day, and (b,c) never. Humidity? Cool conditions? Goodness knows. They've been good value compared with store-bought bulbs, but do buy plenty and be prepared for some quick changes.

iZKA® - 3 Pin USB 1A Charger UK Wall Plug for MP3 MP4 players, iPod, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, Apple iPad, Tablet, Mobile Phones, PDAs, Kindle, TomTom, Navman, Garmin, Blackberry, Samsung, Sony, Nokia and digital cameras etc - White
Offered by iBox Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, 23 July 2012
An unusual gift for mum-in-law: she says it does what it's supposed to, so... no complaints there! A cheaper alternative product had a lot of bad reviews on Amazon for poor functionality, so i'd recommend this one instead.

The Miracle At Speedy Motors (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Miracle At Speedy Motors (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Volume Nine is the best yet?, 17 May 2012
The author is known for his gentle style, to say the least, and I was concerned that this delightfully gentle series would be running out of steam altogether. Not a bit of it! The Miracle at Speedy Motors is the best Botswana book since the original. Some of Alexander McCall Smith's very best writing is here. A surprisingly touching novel.

The Suburban Book of the Dead: Armageddon 3 - The Remake
The Suburban Book of the Dead: Armageddon 3 - The Remake
by Robert Rankin

4.0 out of 5 stars The Final Conflict!, 3 Nov 2011
I finally read this book some years after the first two. I can't say I've suffered for being unable to remember details of its predecessors. In fact, I came to it fresh, armed only with an enduring fondness for Rankin's recurring characters and running gags. My impression was that pt.2 was practically a reimagining of pt.1, whereas "Suburban Book of the Dead" is definitely a tale in its own right.

Four stars feels slightly stingy on my part. I was going to cite "structural issues", but really this just means that the dramatic ending telescopes into recurring cycles of threat - escape - threat - violence - unexpected survival...

But hey, it's all funny. And there's just the right amount of Elvis.

Sanyo Eneloop AAA 4 Pack Batteries
Sanyo Eneloop AAA 4 Pack Batteries
Offered by iCell Media

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as any, 22 Oct 2011
I've no cause to fault these Sanyo eneloop NiMh products. After nearly two years, they are as good as any I've used so far.

Brasso Liquid 1 Litre
Brasso Liquid 1 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and Traditional, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Brasso Liquid 1 Litre
Always the same great, traditional taste - and I forgive the fact that it makes your puke look really weird. Thanks for all the memories! Wherever they went.

The Princess Bride - Special Edition [DVD]
The Princess Bride - Special Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cary Elwes

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the Book first, 31 Aug 2010
Many adults will fail to get the best out of this movie if they have not first read the original novel. In fact, read the novel then read the spoilers in a wikipedia entry just be on the safe side. Then watch the DVD, which cannot hope to capture the subtle tones of the original in a mere 94 minutes. You also have the advantage of being able to fill in the gaps for other viewers... who will no doubt thank you much later. On their own merits, these might be a three-star movie or a five-star book, but please take the two together. It works, and it gets four stars.

The Greatest Duo In Comedy History - Laurel & Hardy - TOWED IN A HOLE - New & Factory Sealed
Offered by Bargaindiscsltd

5.0 out of 5 stars My personal favourite, 13 Aug 2010
My personal favourite is now the favourite of my four-year-old son. It speaks volumes about me that, every time I've watched "Towed in a Hole" over a forty-year period, I'm still rooting for Stan and Ollie to succeed in their new business venture. Ah, the faultless knock-about humour becomes ever more bittersweet as we age.

It strikes me that, for a black-and-white two-handed short, this must have been an expensive movie to make. The result is surely better all round than their fondly-remembered "The Music Box", hence possibly Laurel and Hardy's best work?

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars The Time-Traveller's Review, 13 Aug 2010
I'm baffled by the quantity of negative reviews for this book, but then I'm only sixty pages in. It took me a whole page to get into it myself! And now I want it to go on forever. The episodic style totally suits my approach to reading, which is usually only a couple of pages at a time then a pause for thought - or food, drink, work, driving. The book already has so many beautiful moments, there's no point in me trying to describe them. Only a woman could have written science fiction this way. I grew up reading the traditional man stuff. Now suddenly I'm learning about growing up female. And about being myself. About... Do you sometimes get a profound sense of time laid out before you as if it were just another physical dimension? As if your past and future can all be glimpsed in the manner of distant objects, and the present is a vanishingly small and rather arbitrary point in the whole? Forgive me if that's not well explained. Perhaps what I'm describing is just another fleeting brain event like deja vu or religious rapture. But I doubt it's just me.

The Time Traveler's Wife may be a rare opportunity to learn something about the fourth dimension in our lives. Even it does take more than five hundred pages. I'm completing this terse review of its wonders after just 176 pages. Or is 28? Or 40? Wonderful indeed. And the sweetest thing I've read in a long while. Although I often feel apprehensive before turning a page...

Asics Men's Gel 1140 Running Shoe
Asics Men's Gel 1140 Running Shoe

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as any shoe I've tried, 21 Jun 2010
I thought I'd be with New Balance forever, until I tried these. Brighton's "Jog Shop" always give me time to try on as many variants as possible, and I was expecting to wind up with the same NB model, but have now bought Asics twice in a row, and would probably stick with the same model subject to availability. I could quibble that the level of support fades within a few hundred miles, but that's pretty much as expected for any brand. Good shoes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3