Profile for Holly > Reviews

One Day
by David Nicholls
Price: 6.95

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want a laugh... Avoid!, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I'm sorry but how this got to be so highly rated is just beyond me. I was looking for a laugh to take on holiday but this failed to raise even a smile. It might appeal to the people who find Hugh Grant irrisistable but for me I much prefer the humour of people like Stephen Fry, David Luddington or Tom Sharp. This to me lacked any laugh out loud moments which is what I need in a so called humourous book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2011 10:51 PM GMT

Let the Right One In
Let the Right One In
by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Price: 5.14

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is better than the films!!, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: Let the Right One In (Paperback)
This book - Let the Right One In - is so much better than either film. Although I've found his other book very difficult, (I don't do zombies I've discovered), this examination of vampires is fabulous. It removes the very adult themes of sex and domination to lay them in the lives of children, whilst creating a world around these children which is dark and full of day to day pain. It is very different to the adult books such as LK Hamilton, Sarah Luddington and Kin Harrison. If you want a new take on an old myth, this is the most disturbing version you will find.

The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
by Robert Jordan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 8.79

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it.., 23 Sep 2011
I wanted to like this but I couldn't. I found the characters two dimensional, much prefer Feist or a new author, Sarah Luddington with Lancelot And The Wolf. I've been a fan of fantasy for years but the Wheel of Time is just to plodding. Sorry.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner
by Elizabeth Haynes
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars This one scared me!, 23 Sep 2011
Arrrhhhh, I'm scared now! I remember Sleeping with the Enemy, that freaked me out, but this made me want to run screaming from everyone. It is by turn's compulsive, repulsive and compelling. It beats all thrillers I've read recently and I think I shall be returning to the slightly less terrifying world of fantasy from now on.