Profile for Billy Hopkinson > Reviews

Content by Billy Hopkinson

Billy Hopkinson "yakkowarner" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Still Game - Live in Glasgow [DVD]
Still Game - Live in Glasgow [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ford Kiernan

5.0 out of 5 stars "Craiglang modernity beckons", 9 Nov. 2014
I loved the edited version shown on TV, but why no blu-ray release? (a little ironic since one of the themes of the live show is coming to terms with technology)

Classic M65 Army Combat Parka Field Jacket Mens Coat Olive SIZE 3XL
Classic M65 Army Combat Parka Field Jacket Mens Coat Olive SIZE 3XL
Offered by CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters

5.0 out of 5 stars "You talkin' to me?", 8 Nov. 2014
It took a very long time to arrive, but that's the sellers fault.
The coat itself is almost perfect. It's an excellent copy of a classic design, this is the coat that toy soldiers wore when I was a boy, and your favourite antiheroes wore on screen.
It's very warm and very comfortable. It's rained almost everyday since it arrived, and although not waterproof, it's at least showerproof. Well constructed, and packed in a deceptively small packet.
Lovely big pockets too.
As for fit, I'm 6'3" , but sadly also overweight, and it's a good fit for me (3XL). It does goes all the way up to 5XL, but I suppose it's designed to be worn over a full uniform.

iTALKonline Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation (4G) Black PU Leather Executive Multi-Function Vertical Flip Wallet Case Cover Organiser with LCD 3 Layer Screen Protector with MicroFibre Cleaning Cloth
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 6 Nov. 2014
It looks, er, okay. But it's not very good .
The magnet clasp is very weak and misaligned. However my biggest bugbear is the headphone access. There's an eyelet which is too small for my headphone jack to pass through. More egregiously the position of said eyelet bears almost no relation to the position of the socket on the ipod itself.
Consequently whilst trying to widen the eyelet the whole thing fell out completely.
Sadly this vandalism means I can't even return the item.
C'est la vie...

Danger 5: Series 1 (Original Soundtrack)
Danger 5: Series 1 (Original Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars "No, Claire, that's a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Try thinking first before you open your mouth", 2 Nov. 2014
I bought this on release (it also came with a Flac version, it wasn't from Amazon) to fill the gap until season 2 (now sadly postponed for who knows how long).
There are a lot of tracks, but some are very very short.
Like the show, the soundtrack draws on many many influences, Italian horror, lounge and exotica, ultraman, surf, funk, smooth jazz to blaxploitation via just about everything inbetween.
Many tracks stand up with no knowledge of the TV show and are perfect ipod fodder, but some are just short stings.
Best not consumed whole...

The Voyager
The Voyager
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Jangly fun, 9 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
I have nothing to add to previous reviews. It's a great catchy pop/country/folk album. Jenny Lewis doesn't seem to like jewel cases though?

Betron B750s Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Tangle Free, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise..., 14 Sept. 2014
I bought these purely to wear in bed (and they are certainly comfortable enough for that). However I was so impressed with the sound and build quality, that I've started using them with my iPod whilst out and about.
For the price (a mere £7.99 in red) they are remarkable, at least as good as my "branded" expensive headphones. Plus the metal construction and styling makes them feel like a premium product.

Dead Of Night (Ealing) - Special Edition  [1945] [Blu-ray]
Dead Of Night (Ealing) - Special Edition [1945] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Michael Redgrave

4.0 out of 5 stars Just room for one inside, sir..., 4 July 2014
The film itself is a classic, fondly remembered from my childhood (where it seems a creepy classic like this could be seen on a midweek evening on BBC2). Atypical of what is now regarded as an "Ealing" film, it is a genuinely creepy and quite unsettling piece of work. The framing story of the portmanteau format is engaging, and while it may seem a little hackneyed to the "sophisticated" 21st century viewer, in its time it was a game changer.
The most famous story is of course featured on the cover, featuring Michael Redgrave as a ventriloquist who may be possessed by his dummy, or "simply" mad. The other stories are entertaining, the weakest of which is probably the comedic golfing ghost yarn.
The picture quality is a great improvement over my DVD copy, but still far from perfect, there are still scratches and flickering apparent, and looking at the restoration comparison, far more egregious defects were corrected, so why not all? (I'm sure there are technical and finacial reasons).
The soundtrack is my biggest concern. Of course I expected nothing more than a mono soundtrack, but the one presented is a little anaemic and muddy. I had to "mess about" with my amplifier to get the best out of it. Hence only four stars.
To be fair this is probably the best presentation of the film we'll ever get, and I'm happy to have it. (I hope "Halfway House" gets a similar treatment).

Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones
Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars "Smells of rich mahogany", 23 Jan. 2014
I've had these on my wishlist for a couple of years. I kept delaying purchase due to the much publicised "splitting" issue (my much loved 595's were held together by tape for many years) of older Sennheiser models using this design. I finally found a discussion which claims this is now resolved (new materials), so I took the plunge when the yo-yoing price went back down to £149.
Initially they sound a little brighter than my 595's, but still magnificent. Bass is strong but not overpowering.
I'm not sure whether burn in actually exists or is just mental acclimatization, but let's see where it goes.
They are a bit tighter than my old pair (which are identical in design), but I have an inordinately large head, and they are of course brand new.
Finally I have to say I simply love the 70's design aesthetic of the 598's.

Continuum - Season 1 [DVD]
Continuum - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rachel Nichols
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood North, as itself, at last,, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Continuum - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Finally a show made in Vancouver, and actualy set in Vancouver (hello Smallville, BSG, Caprica, Fringe et al). Nice time travel set up, exciting episodes avoiding the Deus Ex Machina which could have been an easy and obvious route. Ambiguous villainery, and an intriguing protagonist. Looking forward to season 2...

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection - Limited Edition [Blu-ray] [1942] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Offered by brrsales

4.0 out of 5 stars "What's this doohickey?", 14 Nov. 2012
I sat down to watch "Vertigo", my all time favourite film, only to find two copies of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and no "Vertigo" at all. Oh dear...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4