Profile for Mikie Lavery > Reviews

Lucy [DVD] [2014]
Lucy [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johansson

4.0 out of 5 stars WTF?!? was that?, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Lucy [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
After the movie finished and the closing credits came on the screen, I sat in my seat wondering what the hell had I just watched? And that might sound like I'm being negative toward this. I'm not. I love this movie, largely to just how weird it was.

The science in this pretty much nonsense but the fact it Morgan Freeman dispensing this scientific hokum you buy it because it's Morgan Freeman. Also, I've to praise Scarlett Johansson for her performance as Lucy. It would have been easy for to treat this as a paycheck movie. But she didn't, she puts a great performance.

This could have just be a generic action movie however this is 98 minuets unbridled insanity. And I've to applaud Luc Besson for not only making this utterly nutty movie but he released to be seen by a mainstream audience.

This could've just been a generic action flick but due to how nuts it is, it's anything but generic. Even if after watching you thought it was a steaming pile of garbage at the very lest you'll be able to say I've not seen a mainstream movie quite like it.

This is a strange, weird, bonkers, insane experience the likes of which I'll not see in along time.

Guardians of the Galaxy [DVD]
Guardians of the Galaxy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Pratt

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvel's Gaurdians Of The Galaxy: A review, 20 Aug 2014
I'm going to write an five page essay on this movie, I'm going to keep my thought on the this latest Marvel short and (hopefully) sweet

In this movie a band of misfits are forced to band together in order to save the galaxy. Is this the most original tale of all time? No, we've seen it a thousand millions times before but what makes this work so well is the chemistry that all the charters have with each other in this.

This was designed to be a fun Science Fiction romp set in Space and it works. And of course there is a sequle on the way and of course I'll be going to see it

The Raid 2 [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Raid 2 [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Iko Uwais

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Raid 2" a review, 13 Aug 2014
“The Raid 2” is of course the follow up to nonstop action extravaganza “The Raid”. The story of the first raid is a rather simple one a guy goes into a building and beats up a whole bunch of people and that’s pretty much it

But what it lacked in a story in more than made up for in head-cracking action for the entire running time. Which lead to some people saying that because it was nothing but fighting for the 90 minute running time after a while it got repetitive and boring
So if you thought that the first raid was poor because there was no story, than I’d recommend “The Raid 2” because this makes up for the lack of a story in spades.

At it’s core it’s a crime thriller about the son of a mob boss who feels that he’s undervalued and as a result he wants to kill him and take his place at the head of the crime syndicate that has an iron fist over Jakarta (or at least I think that this were it takes place) There is so much going plot wise that at a few moments it lost me but never to the point that I couldn’t catch up with what was happening.

But that’s not to say that this doesn't contain the high octane action set pieces that made a lot of action movies fall in love with the first installment. There are some extremely innovative, pulse pounding action sequence, that will have even the most ardent action junkie wincing on more than one occasion.

Overall this is a fantastic sequel that took what made “The Raid” a great movie and greatly expanded upon it. This was everything and whole lot more a person could want from “The Raid 2”.This is a must watch for fans of action movie and is also a must watch for people who love sprawling crime epics in the vein of “The Godfather.

A great second installment and with a third on the way, I for one will be in the cinema when it gets released.