Profile for Duck on a Book with a Magnolia > Reviews

Content by Duck on a Book...

Duck on a Book with a Magnolia (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
TrueFitt & Hill 50ml Authentic Pre Shave Skin Protector
TrueFitt & Hill 50ml Authentic Pre Shave Skin Protector
Offered by Burton Blake Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy if using an electric razor, 29 Mar. 2015
Buyers should note this product is entirely unsuited to electric razors (which is the only sort I use). Hopefully it will work well for those using gillette etc, but with an electric it simply clogs up the blades with an oozey gel that simply won't come out without significant (c. 20 minutes) worth of cleaning involving tooth picks and all sorts.

Power Plumber 15 Application Can and Plunger Kit
Power Plumber 15 Application Can and Plunger Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably effective, 29 Mar. 2015
Truly effective. For those hesitating over the price (compared to buying a more manual plunger etc), honestly, just buy it. It worked when everything else had failed and the Yellow Pages was being looked for in order to locate a plumber. Also surprisingly good fun to use as well (just be sure to open a window as it does create a bit of a fog...

Employment Law: An Adviser's Handbook
Employment Law: An Adviser's Handbook
by Tamara Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed - but does seem to focus more on ..., 5 July 2014
Very good indeed - but does seem to focus more on "when things go wrong" (e.g. disputes and tribunals) rather than making sure things don't go wrong in the first place. But still very useful and very glad I bought it. One star removed as it seems very expensive, but then it is a very comprehensive book.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Be wary of your choice of colour, 22 Jun. 2014
Be wary of your choice of colour; I normally like brown leather products, and naturally went for the Tan.

However, you need to bear in mind that the kindle itself is, of course, black; this means you get a distracting contrast of black plastic and brown plastic around the edge of the device, of which I found really off-putting.

Otherwise it's excellent and would be five stars, but the colour mismatch was enough to make me exchange it for a black one.

Hozelock 6756 15m Sprinkler Hose
Hozelock 6756 15m Sprinkler Hose

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but seriously higher quality than cheapo hoses, 16 Mar. 2014
I was put off by the price - I added it to basket, removed it, added it, etc, until finally taking the plunge. I have used the cheap alternatives in the past, of which have been very flimsy and have a life of their own in terms of staying in one place. This is sturdy, well made, very long and heavy, such that it doesn't move as much. I am about to purchase a second, as I'm so impressed.

The only issue I could possibly have is that it produces a very fine "mist" of water and not a straight gush like the cheaper hoses. If you are after serious volume of output, perhaps try something else, but for a refined mist and a long term watering plan, this is brilliant.

Sagittarius Rising
Sagittarius Rising
by Cecil Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book but spoilt by my own upbringing, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sagittarius Rising (Paperback)
Firstly I should make very clear that Cecil Lewis was nothing short of an incredible man, accomplished in so many fields, including journalism and writing. This work is truly a reflection of this, ahead of its time in many regards and a terrific tale in its own right. Important on so many levels.

Before progressing to my personal experience with the book, I should make clear it's really worth reading and I thoroughly recommend it.

With that said - having read it about six months ago I really cannot remember any of it. I think this is partly because I spent a lot of my childhood reading the tales of Biggles. Of course, Biggles being a character of fiction spent a lot of time getting in to all sorts of japes that are frankly impossible. Cecil Lewis, of course, lived a life of which was incredible but utterly realistic and gravely reflective of the War. Thus it could well be that my consciousness has been blurred by the tales of fiction, meaning my experience with what is actually an incredibly important work has faded already. Biggles focuses on adventure, whereas Lewis focuses on what it was actually like to be there, as a human being. So important and I'm disappointed with myself that I cannot recount a single one of his experiences having read the book.

So please do buy it, as it is a valuable work, enjoy it while reading it and reflect. However, if you spent your childhood reading Biggles, do be prepared to sadly forget a lot of it against the backdrop of fiction that stands tall - possibly too tall - in this genre.

HEAVY DUTY METAL GARDEN PATTERNED PARASOL BASE PATIO
HEAVY DUTY METAL GARDEN PATTERNED PARASOL BASE PATIO
Offered by Trendi

4.0 out of 5 stars Would it be my first choice? No. Is it good enough? Yes. Would I spend more? No., 6 Mar. 2014
As per the title really. No, I cannot say I'm delighted with the rose scroll detail (it is a bit over done and a tad naff) but truly, I'm also a skinflint and not prepared to spend a large amount on something that will sit under a table and serves the purpose of stopping the parasol from flying away. For me this purchase was about utility and warranty rather than atheistic, and in that regard I cannot fault it. Easy to put together, well made for what it is, would purchase it again.

Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder (40 mm Cutting Capacity)
Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder (40 mm Cutting Capacity)
Offered by Toolstop_Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars The best way to use this machine... is to attempt to break it, 6 Mar. 2014
The first occasion I tried to use this machine I was being far too gentle. Slowly slowly feedy machine, one stalk at a time. It took hours, the machine frequently complained anyway (given how gentle I was being with it, it prompted a few "what more do you want from me?" conversations) and little really got done.

The second occasion, having a very large pile of cuttings to shred (both hardwood and softwood, some very fresh and others having been resident on the compost heap for a while) I decided to just give it my all. This involved using the red shovel / thing as much as possible, to literally RAM the material into the hopper. Whereas the first occasion saw the red shovel being used for dainty taps, this time I was ramming it like a lance through a dragon. TAKE THAT! AND THAT! POW! etc.

And that, it turns out, is the best way to use the machine. It accepts a lot more of the material (especially the smaller stuff) if rammed through as a larger load, gets stuck less, and takes a lot less time. I am used to seeing small holes in machines like this and treating them with reverence, as apposed to seeing how much crud I can shovel in as quickly as possible, but that seems to be the language this machine speaks. To be clear, I have had a dozen jams (that are easy to fix and indeed expected) but no actual problems.

The machine can handle some surprisingly thick branches and indeed trunks, but be very careful as while eating the bottom end the top end will vibrate around nastily, and can easily catch your hands. Likewise, eye protection is absolutely mandatory (frankly you would be very silly to attempt this without) for the same reason that branches and twigs fly around on their way IN to the machine (I'm really not that worried about little bits of stuff once ground). I also wear ear protection but that feels less mandatory.

So all in all, good product, but be prepared to devote a good full half day to mastering it (by which point you may wonder if it would have been quicker to bag the stuff up anyway). But if you desire chippy type ground material, I'd recommend it.

Draper 28758 30m 12mm Bore Heavy Duty Watering Hose - Yellow
Draper 28758 30m 12mm Bore Heavy Duty Watering Hose - Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid hose, easy to cut to size, good price, 6 Mar. 2014
This was purchased to replace a c. 3 year old Hozelock branded hose and to be cut to size for smaller applications elsewhere in the garden (e.g. connecting sprinklers embedded in beds to the main run pipe).

Having just got in from the garden, thoroughly impressed with the quality, I wanted to check how much I actually paid. At the time of purchase this is/was £13. Absolute steal. I would have assumed I had paid much, much more for this so am delighted.

Incidentally the "hassle free" packaging (of which I ordered) results in the hose appearing in a cardboard box, secured together by plastic band things (the type you have to snip with scissors) but no branded packaging. Assume the "normal" packaging is all the branding etc that you may desire if giving it as a gift. If ordering for yourself I cannot see why anyone would have a problem with the hassle free version.

Gardena Aquazoom 250/1 1971-20 Rectangular Sprinkler
Gardena Aquazoom 250/1 1971-20 Rectangular Sprinkler

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly impressed with this, 6 Mar. 2014
Having relied on a good-old-faithful Hozelock for many years, I decided it was time to ramp up my watering apparatus. Having just spent over a thousand pounds on a new lawn, I was determined that it would last (i.e. not die through neglect on my part). That's not an attempt to name drop costs of lawns, but rather to show the gravity of my situation; unless I took watering seriously, I would have flushed a serious amount of money down the drain.

So enter the Gardena.

Initially my hear sunk on taking it out of the box, for it appears a lot more plastic in real life than in the photos. Rest assured the mystical depth of colour you see on the photo must have been the product of some very professional camera skills. Simply put, Hozelock is banana yellow, this is grey and black. Somewhat more funeral than clown car.

But on actually deploying the unit, jeepers creepers, what an improvement. The reach of the unit is nearly double that of my previous unit, and it's actually very adjustable to enable you to tweak the arc of fire. This includes being able to restrict how far it sweeps and even have it arc over the top of itself (whereas my old one only really worked in one direction).

Being fully compatible with all hozelock adaptors was also a bonus. I have had no problems with the unit flipping over either (to be clear, it has not flipped once). Am considering investing in one of the little tripod stands for it as well to get the maximum coverage.

Overall, a genuine five star review from me. Couldn't recommend it higher. I accept it is pricey, but at the moment I'm paying for peace of mind and it really does the job.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9