Profile for Music Fan > Reviews

Here's What I Believe
Here's What I Believe
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Here's What I Believe (Audio CD)
I discovered Joe through his youtube videos. Unfortunately, he is virtually unknown in the USA. For some reason, his voice appears to have become higher since his X-Factor days when it was deeper and richer. Overall, this is a very good CD. The standouts for me are:
Somethin's Gotta Hold of My Heart. This is a much better version than the original. It showcases Joe's voice perfectly and on this track, his voice is closer to his X-Factor days in terms of huskiness. The arrangement is gorgeous with sweeping violins. I give this track A+. Skyscrpaer is equally beautiful, again with a great arrangement and approach. Again, an A+ for this track. Love Of My Life presents a great interpretation of the Queen song, A+. When I Need You and I Don't Want To Talk About It receive A. These are beautifully interpreted by Joe. To have A Broken Heart is a beautiful ballad and receives B+, as do How We Love, What Have I Done?, and I Look To You, the latter being a Josh Groben-like ballad. The title track, Here's What I Believe, receives a C. It seems to lack a catchy hook or melody and perhaps Joe should have chosen one of the catchier tracks for the single. What Have I Done, in my opinion, would have been a better choice if he preferred to choose a track penned by him. Also a C is the lovely E Penso A Te simply due to the lack of flow of his Italian. Refer to the many outstanding Italian recordings of the great Connie Francis where the italian sounds natural and dramatic.
I am enjoying this CD a great deal. I've listened to the entire CD twice and I feel that with additional listens it will grow on me even more. Very good job!