Profile for M. Wright > Reviews

TDK T19884 52x Printable CDR-80 100 Piece Cakebox
TDK T19884 52x Printable CDR-80 100 Piece Cakebox
Offered by ECOTRONICS

2.0 out of 5 stars Good company gone bad, 22 Jun. 2013
I burn a huge amount of CDs as part of my home run studio business. Ive used TDK for my less than critical CD runs for many years. (I use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for anything that needs longevity or ultra reliability). In the past, there wasnt a great deal of difference between the TDKs and the others to be honest - they almost always burned reliably. The worst you could say was that the printable label felt a bit cheaper. I always use plextools to check the quality of each burn, and there were a few more C1 errors on the TDKs, but that was it.
Then TDK moved their factory to another country, and the quality of their CDs has dropped enormously. Not only are there a great deal more C2 errors, but actually a good third of the 100 spindle refuse to burn at all. They make a disturbing rumbling noise in the burner the moment you insert them. This has happened on a few spindles from different sources. In the end, you only get a 50% success rate on average.
My advice - probably best to avoid. Especially now that the price is only a pound or two less than 100 Verbatims of much greater quality.

Panasonic TH-37PX80B - 37" Widescreen HD Ready Plasma TV - With Freeview and Pedestal Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the reviews, 10 Jan. 2009
Like most people, I spent quite a while researching LCD/Plasma TVs, and worrying myself into a stupor about HD ready/Full HD, screen size, Standard Definition quality etc etc. In the end I plumped for this one, based very largely on the enthusiasm of the other Amazon reviewers.

After a week of watcing it, all I can say is, believe what you've read. It actually set itself up when I turned it on, and as yet I havent had to open the manual. I wont be using it for HD/Blue-ray for a while yet, so SD performance was critical to me, and it really doesnt disappoint. In fact, twinned with the excellent upscaling Sony RDR-HXD890, Freeview looks amazing. Maybe not quite up to the best CRTs of times gone by, but considering how many extra pixels its having to magic up, its stunning.

DVDs especially tho, upscaled from the Sony, look so good you're half convinced they're HD. I kid you not, they're that good. And dont be persuaded to skimp on a good HDMI cable. I spent £40 on a good QED, and the difference, most especially on DVDs, is more than noticeable. The picture is sharper, much better defined, and the colours sing out.

Even the sound, which I expected to be the one real weak spot of this plasma, is much more than acceptable. In fact, much like my old Panny CRT, if you set it to the 'music' preset, its really pretty good. I guess hooking it up to a surround system is always going to be better, but considering I'm an audiophile of the snobbiest kind, Im not unhappy with it so far.

Bottom line, its transformed my experience of watching movies in such a positive way. I cant recommend it enough, and I havent even got round to HD yet.

Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black
Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kit, 29 Nov. 2008
I bought this on the strength of other Amazon reviews, and I have to say I'm not in the least disappointed. The picture quality from the Freeview was immediately so much better than I'd been used to through my old LG recorder. I didnt realise there was such a world of colour out there! The unit is quiet, a doddle to setup, and though the manual is a little hefty, you hardly need it. I felt like I'd had it for years within a day. The recordings are excellent, both on HDD and DVD, and dubbing from one to the other is a breeze.

I've had this unit a week, and so far, there's no downside.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable value, 10 Aug. 2007
I run a small recording studio and needed extra/spare headphones in case of any unexpected breakages or unexpeceted extra musicians. I bought these cos they were so cheap and the reviews at headphone.com were so positive. I expected at best just to not hate them, but Im actually astounded by them. For headphones that cost me £10, these are absolutely unbelievable.
Naturally they can't compare to £50+ sets out there, but how close they come is frightening. They're extremely light and comfortable, the mids dont honk like all other cheaper sets, and theres an evenness to the tone that suits a studios needs really well. I had an extremely talented pianist wear them all day in a very long session and he made no comment. He just never guessed that they were imposters in a professional environment.
The only quibble you could make is that they're a little quiet, so they need cranking, but me - I instantly ordered another set.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2011 10:57 AM GMT