Profile for Mr. David Hopwood > Reviews

Content by Mr. David Hopwood

Mr. David Hopwood (West Yorkshire, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
EARBUD HDPN MDRE10LP/PGRN
EARBUD HDPN MDRE10LP/PGRN
Offered by PADNOTE

5.0 out of 5 stars These earbuds deliver excellent sound quality, 6 Nov 2014
These earbuds deliver excellent sound quality, are comfortable to wear and inexpensive. Don't buy the later version as they are nowhere near as good.

Duel In The Sun
Duel In The Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Commando library "Duel In The Sun", 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Duel In The Sun (Kindle Edition)
Quite a good story - I read it as a Kindle download. I am not entirely convinced by the way the Kindle hadles these kinds of "comics" as the page format is of necessitiy compromised, but it does work. I also tried it on my iPad Kindle App and preferred it in that large screen format.

Ronseal NRSMBL250 250ml No Rust Metal Paint - Smooth Black
Ronseal NRSMBL250 250ml No Rust Metal Paint - Smooth Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Ronseal No Rust Metal Paint, 25 July 2014
I cannot give a long term review on this paint yet, but it seems to do its job well. Not an easy paint to apply as it is very thick and skins over quickly (an advantage in some cases). Try not to over brush and keep a wet edge. If you are painting something like a square metal gate post paint one face at a time (top to bottom) and then work your way around the remaining faces. The paint leaves a nice high gloss finish - a good match for epoxy coatings.

The only problem I had was cleaning up afterwards. The instructions recommend using a proprietary brush cleaner. At the time I did not have any and soon discovered that Turpentine Substitute or White Spirt did not work at all. I ended up throwing the brush away. Make sure you have some brush cleaner/restorer handy before you start!

Ronseal NRSMWH250 250ml No Rust Metal Paint - Smooth White
Ronseal NRSMWH250 250ml No Rust Metal Paint - Smooth White

5.0 out of 5 stars Ronseal No Rust Metal Paint, 25 July 2014

Maglus Black Edition - Stylus with replaceable tip - iPad / iPhone / Fire / Galaxy & Touchscreen Tablets / Phones
Offered by Digidave

4.0 out of 5 stars Maglus Stylus Black Edition, 15 Jun 2014
I wanted a replacement for my wife's iPad stylus, a Wacom Bamboo Solo 2, which had proved to have a very poor nib life. After some research I settled on the Maglus. Amazon and the associated seller, Digidave, were posting the black version at a considerably reduced price.

The stylus is everything I had hoped for, with a very high quality tip (and a spare) that was nicely balanced and reactive on the screen - unlike the Bamboo which took quite a bit of pressure to achieve a response from the iPad 5.

If you were to ask me if I would buy another Maglus I would say "yes" - because I don't think there are many styli out there that come close to the it. However, it does have one problem for me, and that is caused by the way the product is manufactured - by machining two flats on a round bar. This has an unfortunate result in that it leaves "hard" edges (not rounded off) where the flats meet the diameter of the bar.

I personally found myself fidgeting with the stylus to find the most comfortably position to hold it almost every time I picked it up. Once in a comfortable position though it is great to use. I would just have liked to see those "hard" edges rounded off.

I spoke to Maglus and Digidave to express my opinions, which were duly noted. I have to say that both companies have outstanding customer services that should be the envy of most others.

A good solid 4.5 star product, but not quite 5 stars.

War Story
War Story

4.0 out of 5 stars War Story by Derek Robinson, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: War Story (Kindle Edition)
I must admit to having mixed feelings about this book. It is well enough written, but there is just a little too much emphasis on the inter-personal relationships of the squadron members for my liking, and not quite enough on the flying/fighting. I found myself wondering when the author would get to the point.

One chapter I found myself taking particular attention to is at the very end of the book, it concerns what facts Mr. Robinson stuck to and what liberties he took to either fill in gaps or make the story more interesting. I had already picked out almost every anomaly, but it still fascinated me that any author would do this. Something I have never seen before.

There are so few books of this kind available that it has to go on the recommended reading list for anyone fascinated by the life and the action in WWI Royal Flying Corps squadrons. Unfortunately I can't quite justify 5 stars due to my comments above.

One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote
One For All URC7962 Smartcontrol Motion Remote
Offered by sotel-germany

4.0 out of 5 stars It's excellent for the money...... but it has some problems., 17 April 2014
When I took delivery of a URC7962 from Amazon I was very pleasantly surprised by the look and feel of this quality product. The tactile feel of the buttons is very good, but I do find the red, green, yellow & blue keys just a fraction on the small side - they are a little insipid in colour too.

The device functions well enough, but I find the motion detection to be of limited use, and can be quite annoying. I eventually turned it off. Programming of the individual functions, e.g. TV, AMP, STB and DVD are all easy enough. If you have a device that is not listed it can usually be found on the "One for All" UK web site.

The only real problem came for me when I wanted to use the one button macros to control three devices at once (a maximum of 11 per macro are possible). There are three macro buttons that are labelled for TV, Film and Music.

My TV is a Panasonic plasma and requires an extended button press to switch on/off (a repeat command). Unfortunately the URC7962 cannot do this; it has no feature for repeats or delays. This will not be of concern if you have equipment that only needs a single press to activate/deactivate and requires no delays to turn on/off. For me it's a bit of a disaster.

Other controllers support both repeats and delays, e.g. the Harmony Touch, but that controller is considerably more expensive! I cannot see why the URC7962 does not have these features. It would be near perfect if it had.

For anyone that has not used a device of this type to operate AV equipment, it can be a nightmare to achieve FULL macro control. You only have to think about what is required, e.g. turn on TV, STB and AMP (with any required repeats or delays for individual pieces of equipment) and then assign inputs on both TV and amplifier. This can be a complex exercise.

In retrospect I have come to the opinion that macros really have limited use. They are fine if everything is turned off and on via a macro, but if any piece of equipment used in the macro is already turned on it will be turned off. Of course, the macro cannot discriminate between the on/off states of any individual piece of equipment.

Providing the URC7962 device does what you want it is a great little device. I cannot give it five stars because of its shortcomings.

I think "One for All" are missing a trick with their UK web site as it could be much better and more user friendly. It should also have more "how to do it" videos. The help desk should be more easily accessible and it should not take up to three days to get replies to email requests for help!

Flyboys [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Flyboys [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ James Franco
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Flyboys [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC], 8 Feb 2014
Finding WWI flying films is difficult. This one is taken from the perspective of young adventure seeking Americans fighting for the Lafayette Escadrille - an arm of the then French Air Service. A good story with good action sequences. A must for anyone that, who like me, hankers for this genre of war film.

Lost Battalion [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Lost Battalion [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Ricky Schroder
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Battalion [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC], 8 Feb 2014
An excellent film that is well worth watching. I cannot understand why it never got the acclaim it really deserved.

Dartmouth Conspiracy
Dartmouth Conspiracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Dartmouth Conspiracy, 8 Feb 2014
An intriguing story that is written from the unusual perspective of a German fighter pilot, educated in England, returning post war to England to discover the effects of a raid he did not want to take part in. A good read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6