Profile for dutch > Reviews

Talking Heads - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Talking Heads - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Routledge

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic, 3 April 2016
Now I have all the talking heads on 2 disc's, my old video copies were terrible. Great TV

Multi Region Samsung DVD-E360 DVD Player with USB Host 2.0 and CD Ripping- includes scart cable
Offered by K.K. Electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic player, 3 April 2016
Very average player with hardly any features at all. This a basically a budget player and it's not really that cheap!. There's really no set up as it's already got most things in place when it arrives. I needed a DVD player with scart connection for my TV and there isn't much choice now on the market. My old Sony SR150 was giving up on me after 3 years and that player was far superior to this, the problem is that Sony updated (joke!) to the SR170 which is terrible. It seams that with the passage of time DVD players are getting less features and are not as solidly built. This one looks like it might fall apart after a year and I'm not expecting it to last much after that. As this is the multi region version I will only be using this to play Region 1 disc's. Will use another player for Region 2 and CD's.

Guardian: Final Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Guardian: Final Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Best season, 31 Mar. 2016
After reading several other reviews about this season I was really reluctant to purchase the last season, but as it was so cheap and I've watched the first two seasons, I thought 'what the hell'. And I'm glad I did. This final season is by far the strongest, I have no clue what world many people live in and I totally disagree with all the negative comments that were made. There is nothing wrong with the continuity, dialogue or anything else. The fact that most of the major characters are flawed is often mentioned in the story, and the hard hitting story lines are seldom seen in other shows: child sex. homosexuality, disabilities & race issues. The season is very dark, but far more entertaining than the first 2 seasons. Brilliant last season!

A Picture Of Me - Greatest Hits & More
A Picture Of Me - Greatest Hits & More
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Second album this year and it's only March!, 26 Mar. 2016
Lorrie revisits some of her songs, although not all of them were hits as the title suggests, and she left some pretty big one's off too! This is the second album from Ms Morgan in just over a month (I don't know why her facebook page denied the release of this album until a week before it's release, something that really annoyed me, and the fact that there might a another album this year as she's going back into the studio with Pam Tillis, but that's another matter!)

The recordings aren't as good as the originals, a problem Trisha Yearwood also had when she did the same. It's like all the 'A' list country musicians were taken and she's using the 'B' lists, but that seams to be quite common with these type of albums where women over 50 revisit their catalogue on a minor label. The thing that holds the album together is Lorrie Morgan's voice, she has one of the best voices of any genre and is fairly under-rated as a female singer, especially outside of country music. Her voice is full of emotion and she hits some of the lowest notes I've ever heard from a female singer, Anne Murray and Karen Carpenter included! It sounds too me like this project was recorded live in the studio and it's the more up-tempo hits that work the best for me: 'Don't worry baby', 'Except for Monday' and 'What part of no'.

There are 7 new songs on this album but mainly all are covers. Too me it's these songs that make the album worth having. I already thought she had recorded 'Til I can make it on my own', and her version is up there with the best. 'Loving you could never be better' doesn't quite work for me, but 'Here comes my baby' and 'Take me to your world' are terrific. To be honest this album sounds like it was recorded decades ago which is why it probably won't do well with younger country fans. The album ends with 3 Keith Whitley songs, she obviously never got over him and a rework of 'Mirror, mirror' which is listed as a new song, but she recorded it on her 'I walk alone' album. There is much more emotion to this new version, and it's the album highlight along with the last track 'Hopelessly yours'. The reason why these 2 tracks work the best is because they are acoustic recordings with Lorrie just singing with guitar. Infact the whole album could have been done that way really.

Into The Woods [DVD] [2014]
Into The Woods [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

5.0 out of 5 stars Good interpretation, 28 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Into The Woods [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Great adaptation of the stage musical although missing some of the best songs. In my mind the kids steal the show. But unless you like Sondheim you won't find the music very memorable, he's no Rodgers & Hammerstein. Good movie none the less.

Guardian: The Complete First Season [DVD] [Region 1] [Import] [NTSC] [2001]
Guardian: The Complete First Season [DVD] [Region 1] [Import] [NTSC] [2001]
Dvd ~ Simon Baker
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon Baker before he was The Mentalist, 28 Feb. 2016
Great show starring Simon Baker before he hit the big time in The Mentalist. Still don't know why it hasn't been released on DVD in the UK

Julie Walters And Friends [1991] [DVD]
Julie Walters And Friends [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Walters

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Feb. 2016
Fantastic showcase for Julie Walters talents, one of the best comedy shows on TV of all time

Wynonna & the Big Noise
Wynonna & the Big Noise

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for me, 28 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Wynonna & the Big Noise (Audio CD)
I'm sad to report as a Wynonna fan for over 20 years this is not the album I was expecting. She has moved into a style of music that really doesn't showcase her amazing vocal talents. I've seen her live and she was brilliant, even with a cold! If you're a fan of blues and rock you'll probably enjoy this, but Wynonna is basically a country singer, although she has strayed from time to time. I would have even prefered a disco album to this! These songs basically aren't strong enough and even the ballads don't save the album.

I was shocked to see that the album only enter the US country charts at No.14 and fall well short of the Top 100 album chart, then I thought something must be wrong, and then I heard it. I really hope this album is not going to distroy her career, she might me having fun now as she has stated, but if the album has dismal record sales her label may drop her or hopefully give her another chance at making a country album like the ones she made in the 1990's. Not a good move Wynonna!

Grimm - Season 4 [DVD] [2014]
Grimm - Season 4 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ David Giuntoli

5.0 out of 5 stars Great season, terrible DVD's, 28 Feb. 2016
Best season so far of Grimm, but what is it with these DVD's. Since season 2 I've had problems with Grimm disc playing on my DVD players (yes that's plural). I've changed the disc's, I have different regions and have used different players. There are performance issues with them from subtitles to not loading properly. And I don't have problems with all my other DVD's just Grimm. Sort it out!

Turning Point
Turning Point

5.0 out of 5 stars Second album is a stunner, 27 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Turning Point (MP3 Download)
Fantastic album from Chuck Wicks which is only the second album of his 8 year career, although he did release a 5 track EP in 2013 which includes 5 tracks on this new album. Chuck is the whole package, good-looking, good voice (and not sounding so David Gates now like he did on his first album) and he writes his own material. He's a strong songwriter and not one of those singers who merely write album fillers. It's odd that there hasn't been a string of hits on this album, there have been 5 singles to date and only one has been a moderate hit on the country charts. He does work in radio in America, he should plug his own songs! Joke!

It's really not worth listing the stand out tracks as they are all good, but in my opinion if he's going to get another radio hit he should release 'Watcha got girl' it has radio hit written all over it! Message to Nashville, 'Stop overlooking Chuck Wicks', he's much better than most other artists on country radio these days. Great album!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20