Profile for Smif > Reviews

just what I wanted

The Kashmir Shawl
The Kashmir Shawl

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Kashmir Shawl (Kindle Edition)
Very enjoyable book. I read it twice.

Twelve Years a Slave
Twelve Years a Slave

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read. I knew the basic story from reviews ..., 17 Nov. 2014
Good read. I knew the basic story from reviews of the film. Still haven't seen the film.

In the Blood (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery)
In the Blood (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 17 Nov. 2014
First time I have read anything by this author and its the first time in a long time that I have been gripped with the story and couldn't put it down.
Without giving too much away the storyline is that an American genealogist (Jeff Tayte) is researching the family of a client who believe some of their ancestors returned to England in the 1790s. The paper trail is incomplete with no death certificates in the archives for the mother and children who returned. There are records for the father and a second family with the title passing down the generations to the present day.
Much to his dismay Jeff Tayte who hates flying is sent across to England to try to unravel the mystery and is faced with barriers put in his way. There are murders, kidnappings, shootings and various other twists to the tale but Tayte comes through it unscathed and solves the mystery. A good read.

Hot Box: 8 Sizzling Thrillers from 8 Best-Selling Authors
Hot Box: 8 Sizzling Thrillers from 8 Best-Selling Authors

1.0 out of 5 stars not as expected, 21 Oct. 2014
took this set on holiday in Kindle format, very disappointed when what I thought was going to be a normal crime novel turned in to a bizarre supernatural story about a police officer who has an accident sustaining fatal injuries which are cured by a mentor she has never met before. Not my kind of book

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 17 Nov. 2013
I'm not a Harry Potter fan and was interested to see how J K Rowling wrote. I wasn't disappointed it was a good read. My only problem was keeping up with the charachters, at one point I almost wished I had a note pad to jot down who was who!

Toyota RS2000 Darning foot
Toyota RS2000 Darning foot

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 17 Nov. 2013
I was surprised at how quickly the product was delivered. Top marks for that alone. The product has fulfilled all my expectations

Big Maria
Big Maria

3.0 out of 5 stars a crazy fantasy, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Big Maria (Kindle Edition)
the start was awful but once through that it was readable. Very light wait with a crazy plot and mad characters.

Winter in Madrid
Winter in Madrid

4.0 out of 5 stars Was unsure to start with, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Winter in Madrid (Kindle Edition)
I was very unsure of this book, not my usual type of read but was very pleasantly surprised. I took me to a time in history I knew very little about and it was a great read.

Standing in Another Man's Grave: A John Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Book 18)
Standing in Another Man's Grave: A John Rebus Novel (Inspector Rebus Book 18)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 18 July 2013
Very interesting story, moving the stage out of Edinburgh and north on the A9 was great for me. I hope there are more similar books to follow. I am actually reading the book for a second time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3