Profile for Basement Cat > Reviews

Delicious. Love to Cook: 140 Irresistible Recipes to Revitalise Your Cooking
by Valli Little

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really nice to look at, and cook from, cookery book, with a photograph of each recipe on the opposite page to the text, so that you can see what you are aiming for. The pictures are really beautiful, and will definitely seduce you into having a go at the recipes. At first sight, some of these recipes look like they might be quite complicated, but however exotic the name of the recipes sound, most of these are relatively easy to make. Some of the ingredients are not going to be easy to get (gow gee gyoza wrappers, for instance) but occasionally a substitute is suggested. I think that most of the recipes will be worth the extra time it takes to track down obscure ingredients though. This is a great book, which I think will encourage me to move out of my comfort zone, and try new techniques and foods.

Eat Istanbul: A Journey to the Heart of Turkish Cuisine
Eat Istanbul: A Journey to the Heart of Turkish Cuisine
by Andy Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat Instanbul, 17 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very nice book, with lots of pictures - not that many of Instanbul itself actually, and those that are, are usually food based. There are pictures of markets, pictures of food, people buying food, eating food in cafes - and of course, pictures to accompany the recipes. I was rather hoping that there would be more pictures of the city itself.
The recipes are mainly quite complicated, and many require ingredients that are both expensive and difficult to get hold of. I am not a particularly bad cook, but I don't have much experience of cooking on this level. The food looks beautiful, and I would love to eat it, but I would rather like someone better than me to cook it. I found it quite difficult to find something simple enough for me to cook, and that didn't require an obscure ingredient. Definitely one for confident cooks who have access to good food markets and fishmongers, rather than just Tesco's.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ55EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.0MP, 20x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (New for 2014)
Offered by iHD Lounge

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good camera, 17 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This camera seems to attract very strong opinions for and against, but I quite like it, although I haven't had time to really go through the manual yet, and find out what everything does. I am not a camera expert by any means, and would be happiest if the camera would do all the work in for me. Luckily for me, there is that option, and I have been very pleased with the results. It is possible to add effects to the picture after it has been taken, which is sometimes quite useful too. There are other settings that you can use to adjust the quality of your photographs, but the only one that I have used so far is the 'scene' setting, which gives you options for different subjects, such as portraits, sunsets, pets, scenery etc. I like the flip up view screen, mainly because in some positions, it can make it easier to see what you are taking a picture of, rather than using it for selfies. My only problem with this screen is, like camera phones, it is almost impossible to see what you are photographing when in very bright sunlight. I took it to the beach on a very sunny day, and gave up very quickly, as I couldn't see a thing on the screen.
This camera has Bluetooth abilities to enable to to connect it to your phone or computer. I have downloaded the app, but so far haven't managed to get it to connect Bluetooth, which something I will have to work on.
Personally, I am very pleased with this camera, and I think that I will be perfect for my needs, which are mainly for holidays, taking pictures of the grandchildren and pets, and other similar, fairly simple things. I want a good camera that takes clear, non-shakey pictures with the minimum of bother, but also has the ability to do a bit more when I need it to. This camera does all these things, and so far, I am really pleased with it.

Philips SC2006/11 Lumea Precision Plus IPL Hair Removal System for Face and Body

4.0 out of 5 stars and very easy to use, 16 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think that the main difference between this Lumea, and the one that is just suitable for removing hair on the body, is the more precise head, which enables you to use it safely on the smaller areas on the face. It is a very simple system, and very easy to use, although reading through the instruction leaflet might make you think otherwise, as there are so many warnings that it might put you off. It is not half as scary as the instructions would have you believe, but safety, especially as it's for use on the face is very important. Because of this, it is not suitable for use close to the eyes, and when doing the top lip Philips advise that you put white eye liner on the lip itself to reflect the light and avoid the delicate skin getting burnt.
When using this, you need to shave the area that you want to treat, instead of using an epilator or similar, as the system works by zapping the root of the hair with an intense flash of light. I wasn't to keen on the shaving bit, as I was worried that it might grow back very stubbly, but after a few days quite a lot of it falls out, so this isn't too much of a problem. You will need to redo this after about two weeks to catch the ones that didn't get zapped enough.
The first time that I used this, I was surprised by the brightness of the light, and the amount of heat that I felt on my skin, but only because I wasn't expecting it to be so strong. I very quickly got used to both sensations, and it's definitely much less painful than many other hair removing methods, and I certainly don't think the light is bright enough to necessitate the use of goggles.
For myself, I had very good results when I used this on my body, but less so on my face, which was the bit I really wanted it to work on. I think that I probably need to use a higher setting, as I was a bit concerned about which level to use on tanned skin, and probably set it too low. I really hope that I am successful, as this is a problem area for me, and it would make my life so much easier, and much less painful than using an epilator, if I can get it right.

Philips GC4511/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 180g Steam Boost, 2400 Watt
Philips GC4511/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 180g Steam Boost, 2400 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Best iron ever!, 16 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can honestly say that this is the best iron that I have ever had, and that includes one of those very expensive ones with the water tank. It heats up very quickly, is very light and glides readily over the garments, removing the creases with ease on almost every fabric. There is an extra steam function and water spray for more stubborn creases. It seems to use water more efficiently than any other iron I've had, as the tank does not need to be filled quite so often, and the ironing board stays much drier too. I'm quite impressed with the lime scale removal system too, as I live in an area with very hard water, and my previous iron liked to deposit white grit onto clothes. I like the extreme pointyness of this iron too, as it makes it easier to get into awkward places, or to iron around buttons on shirts. Ironing is not really a chore that anyone enjoys very much, but this does help to make it quite light work. It also looks pretty good for an iron.

Braun Oral-B PRO 6000 CrossAction 6-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide and Bluetooth Connectivity
Offered by Toothbrush Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 16 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very expensive toothbrush, with a lot of added extras which really don't seem to add much to the teeth cleaning experience, to be honest. I've used a Philips Sonicare for the last few years, and it is much, much better than the Braun in every respect.
I did manage to both download the app for this and set up the Bluetooth, but it took a long time to get it to connect to my Iphone. I did use it once, but it was completely pointless and taking up space on the phone, so I deleted it. It also wanted access to the microphone on the phone so that it could hear the toothbrush being switched on. I couldn't really see what use that would be, especially as it is already using Bluetooth for this.
The toothbrush comes with a small digital clock type thing, which shows you how much time you have been brushing for, and which mode of brushing you are using. It also has a face icon which smiles when you have been brushing for the required amount of time.
It takes ages to charge, and I was very surprised at how quickly the charge ran out. My Philips Sonicare charge lasts for about three weeks, but this lasted less than a week. The Sonicare is quite quiet and smooth, whereas this sounds quite loud and mechanical. The brush head is much larger than the Sonicare too, and did not seem to be able to clean the very back teeth completely, as it did not fit into the space very well.
I was quite pleased with the results this toothbrush gave, but the inconvenience of the charging issues made it quite annoying. The Bluetooth, the app and the little clock must all add to the cost of this, and really they are all pretty superfluous. I have had a cheaper Braun toothbrush in the past, and the actual brushing bit isn't an awful lot different to that, but the price certainly is.

Philips SC2004/11 Lumea IPL Hair Removal System for body with Slide and Flash Mode

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 16 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On reading the instruction booklet for this device, you could almost be forgiven for just shutting it in a drawer while you gather up some courage to switch it on. There seem to be a large amount of things that you should or should not do, and various other things to worry about. Having thoroughly terrified the user, the leaflet then suggests that you could perhaps play some music while you use it to calm yourself down. I realise that the manufacturers need to cover themselves, but it does seem to make what turns out to be a very simple procedure seem extremely complicated.
I tested out on a part of my forearm, as this was the area that I particularly wanted to use it on, as I have a lot of dark, longish hairs. I shaved this area before using the Lumea, as instructed. You then just set the Lumea to the setting required for your skin and hair colour, place it on the skin, making sure that the ring is connected all around with the skin surface, and press the trigger. Although I knew the light was going to be bright, it was brighter and redder than I had thought it was going to be, and I found the reason why the hair needs to be shaved, as it found the one hair I had missed and singed it. It is quite a warm sensation, but nothing too hot, by any means. I waited a day or so to see if there was any reaction, and did the rest of my arms. The hair on the test patch has not grown back at all, for which I am very grateful! It seemed a bit weird to shave the whole of my forearms, as I was sure that it would grow back quite bristly and look very strange. But of course, the majority of it fell out, and only a very small amount has regrown. I am so pleased about this, as I was always a bit embarrassed about this excess hair, and now my arms look just like everyone else's. Philips suggest that you use a white eye liner pencil to mark the bits that you have done, and I found it quite useful to divide my arm into sections and do a smallish part at a time, as it's very easy to get distracted and forget which bits you've done.
I have also used it under my arms, and found it very easy and pleasant to use. There has been some regrowth here, but hopefully it will soon be the end of using razors which irritate my skin much more than the Lumea does.

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 16 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book does not particularly stand out from all the other seasonal vegetable books that have been produced over the past ten years or so. When it arrived, had a quick flick through it, and just put it on the shelf and forgot all about it. It is only now that I have had a closer look at it, that I realise that it has hidden depths. I don't think that the layout of the pages does this book may favours, as it tends to make it look a bit jumbled. It just makes it a little less easier for something inspiring to jump out at you, especially as there are many more recipes than photographs. We all need encouraging to buy seasonal produce, and this book would be especially good for people who grow there own too. Of course, the author has access to wonderful sources of fresh organic fruit and veg, whereas I don't, but I'm sure it would work just as well with stuff from Sainsbury's or Lidl, but perhaps with out the smug feeling.

Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
Pasta: The Essential New Collection from the Master of Italian Cookery
by Antonio Carluccio

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 16 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really beautiful and useful book, which tells you almost everything that you need to know about the buying, making and cooking of pasta. The recipes are lovely, and range from everyday, simple meals, to the more exotic that you would probably cook for a more special occasion. The photographs of the food are beautiful, and will really encourage you to start cooking. There are photographs to help you in a few of the more tricky techniques of pasta making too. Each recipe has a little introduction by Antonio, which gives you a bit of background information and helps to create the perfect meal. There are also some gnocci and couscous recipes to add to your Italian cooking repertoire. A lovely book, which I will use a lot.

Mahjong Venice Mystery Puzzle (Full)
Mahjong Venice Mystery Puzzle (Full)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this game, 17 July 2014
I love this game, it's just so beautiful and addictive. The idea is that you travel round Venice collecting parts of a machine and solving puzzles in order to save the city. In reality, it doesn't have that much to with Venice, but is does add a certain amount of atmosphere and make it stand out from other similar games. The music and the graphics are both quite simple, but introduce a mysterious element to a game that I have heard described as quite similar to Mah-jong. A lovely relaxing way to spend a few peaceful hours.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20