Profile for Basement Cat > Reviews

Content by Basement Cat

Basement Cat (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cocofina 100 Percent Coconut Water 500ml (Pack of 6)
Cocofina 100 Percent Coconut Water 500ml (Pack of 6)
Price: 12.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 27 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the fluid from inside the coconut, which I thought was called coconut milk, but it seems that it's actually called coconut water. I have had it before on the very few occasions that I have bought a fresh coconut, as they need quite a bit of hard work to open without breaking it and losing the water. This is by far an easier way to drink it. You get six bottles in this pack, and each bottle contains 500ml, which is actually quite a lot, as Cocofina recommend that you drink it all on the day that you open the bottle. Unless you really like coconut water, this isn't as easy as it sounds. I think it is probably an acquired taste, and possibly not what people expect coconut water to taste like. Although it does say it is water, it is very watery tasting and quite bland. I can't decide if I like it or not, it doesn't seem to inspire opinions either way. It's not unpleasant, but it's not marvelous either, it's just a bit like tap water with a slight hint of coconut, really. It might be nice straight from the fridge on a very hot day, but I can't think that it would work very well in cocktails as the website suggests, as I think the flavour would just be overwhelmed. It's nice to try it, but I don't think that I would buy it again.

200 Easy Cakes & Bakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Easy Cakes & Bakes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Joanna Farrow
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, 27 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I just don't think that you can go wrong with this great little series of books. They are such good value, and the recipes and photographs are just so good. They are great for everyday recipes that use the minimum of ingredients, which are usually easy to get from your local shops. My copy arrived yesterday, and I couldn't wait to start using it. So far I've made the mango and vanilla muffin slice, which was lovely, and very simple to make. This book is filled with cakes for every possible need, and also has a couple of bread recipes too.

Mark Hix on Baking
Mark Hix on Baking
by Mark Hix
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars A good range of recipes, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mark Hix on Baking (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As noted in many other reviews, this is not a baking book in the generally accepted sense, but covers anything that gets cooked in the oven. So no muffins here. But there is a bread chapter, as well as cakes, biscuits, pies and desserts - many of which look very interesting. There are also things here that require crab, oyster, various sea vegetables, wild garlic and many other things that aren't always easy to get hold of. This is a good book, but it isn't one that I would use for everyday. It is more of a gastropub than kitchen table sort of book, which, for me, makes it a book that I probably won't use that often. There are some things that I would really like to try, but I'd have to track down the ingredients first, and sometimes that makes it just seem too difficult or expensive. It would be a very good book for someone who wants to stretch themselves in their cooking ability, although the book itself could have been more appealing - everything about it is brown, from the cover to the sepia toned pictures inside, which makes it seem a bit gloomy and inaccessible.

Mimi
Mimi
by Lucy Ellmann
Price: 11.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A Book of Two Halves..., 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Mimi (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought that this book just started off so well. Mimi seemed such a fantastic character, although more spoken about than actually appearing. Harrison, with his neurotic lists and amusing comments was brilliantly funny,and made it one of those 'laugh out loud' novels that are so rare. It took the author six years to write this, apparently.
All is going well, until suddenly, it looks as though the author runs out of ideas. It appeared to me as though she introduced an unnecessary and jarringly dramatic death because she couldn't think of anywhere else to take the story. After this, it all seems to go downhill. Harrison's feminist comments become more bizarre, as do his actions, and then there is another, smaller dramatic incident which also seems a bit pointless. I'm really sorry that this book ended the way it did, because up until the middle, I was beginning to think that this was the most wonderful thing that I'd read for years.
The book ends with more lists, which I mostly skipped as they didn't help the book, and a manifesto for Harrison's feminist movement which had some good ideas to start with, but then tipped over into madness.

The Bowler's Meatball Cookbook: Ballsy Food. Ballsy Flavours. Ballsy Recipes.
The Bowler's Meatball Cookbook: Ballsy Food. Ballsy Flavours. Ballsy Recipes.
by Jez Felwick
Price: 13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book ..., 27 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
but the 'balls' jokes wear a little thin, very quickly. I saw this book in a local bookshop, and was put off by all the balls stuff - one of the recipes is actually called 'Sweaty Balls'. How is that supposed to make anybody want to cook it? Maybe it's supposed to be a 'blokes' cookery book? Anyway, apart from that, the book is really very good. Roughly half the book is made up of meatball recipes, although some of these are fish and some are even meat-free. The rest of the book consists of sauces and accompaniments to go with the meatballs, including salads and even pickles. This is a good book, perhaps not for the beginner because there is quite a bit of preparation and chopping etc. to be done, but would be fine for someone ready to move on a bit. The author is very keen on using free-range meat and organic produce, as well as a few ingredients not readily found in your local supermarket, such as daikon. But at least with these meatballs you will know exactly what goes into them.

200 Healthy Curries: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Healthy Curries: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Sunil Vijayakar
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book, 27 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like these little books from Hamlyn, and have amassed quite a collection over the last few years. They are such good value for money, as you get so much for 4.99. Although the cover states that there are 200 recipes, this actually includes the variations to the main recipe, of which there is one on every page. But it's still a good series, and you always have a picture of the main recipe on the page, which is always helpful.
There are lots of delicious recipes in this book which I can't wait to cook, and they have the added bonus of being tweaked to be less calorific and fat-filled than usual curry recipes. But for a healthy eating book I would expect it to list the amount of fat, calories etc. per serving, which it doesn't. This looks to me to be quite a big mistake, especially as the BBC 101 series can manage this for all their books. It's still a good book, but 'healthy' could just be 'healthier' in this case.

Braun Series 5 5070cc-5 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre
Braun Series 5 5070cc-5 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre
Price: 116.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 21 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really pleased with this razor. As soon as you get it out of the box you can see that it is a good quality product - it feels very solid and substantial, and when switched on, the motor sounds impressively powerful. I have previously used a Philips with the three heads, which usually left me feeling a bit sore and battered, but this is so much better. It cuts close to the skin without any irritation at all. The cutting blade for longer hair, which pops up from the back of the razor is very good, and the size and position of it makes it easy to use for precision cutting. It also charges very quickly, and once charged lasts me about a week. Very pleased.

TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration)
Price: 23.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Undecided, 20 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried to set this up following the instruction sheet, but it wasn't very successful. I hate it when people complain that the the print was too small and too feint, but in this case it really was! I eventually passed to over to my son who set it up, but had to do something different to the instructions to get it to work. So, not too easy to get going for someone who doesn't really know much about computing. I put it in the kitchen as the signal seems to have trouble reaching to the corner of the l-shaped room where my computer is, and it did improve the strength, which went from 'good' to 'excellent'. But after a while, the signal to all the computers and other wifi things in the house would suddenly drop for a minute or so for no apparent reason. I found that sometimes, but not always, if I turned the extender off and on again, the signal was immediately restored. We haven't decided if it is to blame for this yet, but will keep an eye on it. We've moved the extender to a different socket where it seems to get a better signal, so maybe this will help.

Remington EP6010C Corded Epilator
Remington EP6010C Corded Epilator
Offered by Electric Mania Store
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Basic, 20 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had an epilator for a long time now, and have got used to the sensation which it produces, and like the long-lasting effects. Because I have had mine for nearly ten years, I thought that probably they would be even more efficient now, and perhaps less painful. I never use mine on any other part of the body other than my legs, but I would like to if it didn't hurt quite so much. This is a very basic model, but is very much like my previous epilator in both efficiency and pain levels, so that was a bit disappointing. I thought I'd do a test with my old model, a Braun, and this newer one. I did one leg with each, and checked the re-growth. I was a bit miffed to find that the older one was slightly better, removing shorter hairs, leading to smoother legs for longer. I've looked around though, and this does seem to be one of the cheapest on the market.It doesn't have interchangeable heads or any other attachments, but it appears to be quite good value for money. It's also much lighter than my Braun, which has a very heavy power adapter, which puts me off taking it on holiday. It does everything it supposed to at a reasonable price, so would be quite a good buy.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Fuchsia (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 2 Feb 2013
I'm really pleased with this cover, although it is quite expensive, especially when compared to the non-Amazon covers on the market. Firstly, because it offers more protection to my Paperwhite than any of the others that I've seen. The Kindle fits inside perfectly, and is held in place by the rubbery sides of the case, which means that there is no chance of it falling out by mistake. The others that I have seen just hold the Kindle in with elastic, which doesn't look very secure to me. The grippy sides of the case also provide added protection in the event of it being dropped. I like the way that just opening or closing the case switches the Kindle on or off, so it's instantly ready to go. I know that this is a case that will last for a long time and will keep my Paperwhite protected, especially from it's clumsy owner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20