Profile for Basement Cat > Reviews

Disclaimer
Disclaimer
by Renée Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars A twisty, turny thing, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Disclaimer (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an absolutely gripping book, and one that it's very difficult to write about without giving any of the twists and turns of this brilliant story away. As much of the story relies on this, spoilers would definitely kill a reader's enjoyment of this thrilling story.
The author is very good at pulling the reader into her tightly-woven plot. Straight away, we sense Catherine's terror that her past is about to catch up with her. We know that this will happen eventually, and we are quite willing to think the worst of her. The author subtly leads you to where she wants you to go, and then springs her trap.
I loved everything about this book, and really hope that it is the success it deserves to be when it comes out. After getting about two thirds of the way through, I just HAD to read to the end, even though I had to stay up until 3am. Anybody who likes a thriller will love this.

Karcher 26331140 Spray Bottle Kit for Window Vac
Karcher 26331140 Spray Bottle Kit for Window Vac

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 7 Jan. 2015
I should have bought one of these when I bought the Window Vac - it makes it so much easier to use and get good results. I started off with just a cloth and some of the cleaning fluid, but this makes it much easier to get the right amount onto the glass. It works better than a cloth too, so very pleased with nice clean windows.

Nature Pure Potent Raspberry Ketone
Nature Pure Potent Raspberry Ketone

3.0 out of 5 stars No Change, 7 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Does not seem to have done anything for me, but I must say that I have not put on any weight over the Christmas period, so maybe it worked by prevention rather than curing. I also had a very bad case of flu during the same period, and was unable to eat much for a few days. Now, post-Christmas and flu, I feel that I might be on more level ground as far as these pills are concerned, so will carry on for a while longer before I give up, and will add to this review if I lose some weight.

Giesswein Women's Neuhof Slippers Purple Violett (Aubergine) Size: 38 EU (8 Damen UK)
Offered by Schuhverkauf 24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Jan. 2015
I bought these as a present for someone for Christmas, and she absolutely loves them. Lovely natural fibres which are very comfortable, and quite unusual looking.

The Raven's Head
The Raven's Head
by Karen Maitland

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Raven's Head (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an enjoyable story set in 13th Century France and England, when religion and magic were as important as science is to us today. Magic was such more sinister than it is today, and this book spares no punches when it comes to the collection of components necessary to complete them. There are some evil characters in this story, who will stop at nothing to complete their plans, and some people might find some of this quite difficult to read.
I have not read any of this author's books before, but I believe that they are all set in a similar period. This was a very good book, and I liked the characters who all felt very real, and the author really conveyed the helpless they felt in the face of such evil, especially the children. There were a few parts where the story seemed to drag a little, but on the whole, it was quite gripping. I thought about the characters quite a lot after I'd finished it, wondering what might happen to them next, which to me, is always the sign of a good book. In fact, the book does hint that some of the characters will carry on together, and try to continue with the magic, and I did wonder if this might be a hint of a sequel.

Elements Sterling Silver Women's E4570T Leaf Shape Earring with Turquoise
Elements Sterling Silver Women's E4570T Leaf Shape Earring with Turquoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 23 Dec. 2014
Really pretty earrings, well-made and look lovely on. Bought as a present, and the recipient was very pleased with them.

Thirst
Thirst
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Juicer Book, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Thirst (Paperback)
My favourite juice book. I have had mine since it first came out, but wanted to buy one for my brother for Christmas. Unfortunately, it's now out of print, so I bought a used copy. The photographs are bit grim, but the recipes are the best, and it's every bit as good as you would expect from Nigel Slater.

Gaggia 21001682 Descaler Decalcifier Fluid for Espresso Machines
Gaggia 21001682 Descaler Decalcifier Fluid for Espresso Machines
Offered by PBC_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 17 Dec. 2014
This is very good, and always restores my coffee machine to working order. I always use it in my Gaggia Brera, and although it's a little pricey it's worth it to keep the machine happy.

I Am China
I Am China
by Xiaolu Guo

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: I Am China (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book quite difficult to read, really. It began very well, but after a few chapters it seemed to tail off. There are three main characters in the book, none of which are particularly appealing or engaging. None of them seem to particularly care about each other, or the things that happen. They say that they do in the text, but it really doesn't come over this way. Bad things happen, but the author does not manage to convey much emotion. Several times it is mentioned how excited the translator of Mu and Jian's letters and diaries is becoming as she uncovers their story, but she really doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm. Occasionally, Jian's character seems to flare up briefly, while Mu never really stands out. I really didn't like Iona - she seemed quite unsettling, and made me feel uncomfortable. This is a shame, because it is a dramatic story, and could have been a great book.

Classic Chinese Cooking
Classic Chinese Cooking

5.0 out of 5 stars What an absolutely brilliant book this is, 14 Dec. 2014
What an absolutely brilliant book this is! Such good value, and packed with great recipes, which seem quite authentic. I have just come back from China, and was looking for a book which would help me re-create some of the food that we ate. I bought a couple of Chinese cookery books to that end, but this is by far the best. An absolute bargain that you can't go wrong with

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20