Profile for Basement Cat > Reviews

Content by Basement Cat

Basement Cat (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Knife Sharpener - Smart Sharp by Lantana. No1 Choice for Sharpening Kitchen Knives. Next Generation 3 stage Manual System for professional results - ceramic stone, tungsten carbide plates, diamond rod. Ergonomic Design with a Stylish Black/Chrome Finish. Used by Chefs World Wide - Sharpen Your Blunt Blades Now!
Offered by GT Homeware

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 30 April 2016
This is very easy to use, and I got very good results with it. There are three slots - one to prepare the blade, one to sharpen, and the third to hone it just a little bit more. The rubbery handle makes it very easy to hold still, and the flat base stops it moving around. I sometimes manage to cut myself when using my old Kitchen Devil knife sharpener, so I'm pleased that this keeps your fingers further away from the knife blade. A good, useful product, and my knives are so much better now.

Levivo Silicone Brioche Baking Form / Silicone Cake Form 20 x 9.6 cm, Grey
Levivo Silicone Brioche Baking Form / Silicone Cake Form 20 x 9.6 cm, Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 29 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've always liked silicone baking 'tins' although I know that they aren't always recommended in cookery books, as they sometimes have problems getting hot enough. I don't think that was a problem for this one though, as everything went according to plan, which I was pleased about, as I'd never made a brioche before. It was very easy to get out of the baking form, and I suspect that it would not be half as easy to get it out of a rigid loaf tin.
One of the things that tends to put people off silicone cookware is the way that they wobble when you get them out of the oven. That problem is completely eliminated with this, because it has a rigid metal ring around the top which keeps it firm. This, and the extra thick silicone body, are some of the things which mark this brioche baking form out from from cheaper, inferior quality products. It's also very easy to clean, and can go in the dishwasher without having to worry about damaging it's non-stick properties, or rust.

You And Me, Always
You And Me, Always
by Jill Mansell

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine-ish romance, 28 April 2016
This review is from: You And Me, Always (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I appreciate that there are probable only so many plots and characters that you can use for chic lit novels. I don't read a lot of this genre, but sometimes I fancy a change. It just seems as though the same, or very similar, characters are present - the life-long friends who share everything, and can be either male or female, the red-herring male, and the person who is going to end up with the main character, after several false alarms. The main character usually has a lovely job - in this case, working with life-long friends in a wonderful salvage business, which is also in a beautiful village with lots of amazing residents. You've got to feel sorry for the lead characters in chic lit though, as so many of their parents died an early death, as in this book, so they are making their own way in the world, with the help of their wonderful friends.
At some point it usually looks as though the lead person will end up with the wrong person, (the red herring) although at the last minute, everything falls in to place and the heroine ends up with the right person, just as we always knew she would - and all because the hero just couldn't bring himself to declare his love until almost the last page, because he thought his role was just to be the lovely friend!
Having said this, I did enjoy parts this book, when I could ignore the predictability of it all. Some of the incidents were particularly far fetched, for instance, Lily's nationwide fame after catching a mouse on the red carpet at a London premiere, and the wildly successful film that was made about Lily and Eddie's brief relationship. Perhaps there are just too many of these books being written, or perhaps I'm too cynical - it's just that I only read about two or three chic lit books a year, and they are almost interchangeable in both character roles and plots.

Keter Knit Cozies Indoor/Outdoor Large Garden Plant Pot Planters - Misty blue, 1 Piece

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smart looking, 28 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is such a smart looking planter which is a fairly neutral colour, so will go with most colour schemes and plants. It looks great in my garden, but it is rather large, so needs a lot of potting compost to fill it, as well as quite a lot of plants. I particularly like the drainage facility, as in previous wet weather some of my poor little plants have drowned. This is a good design, with it's neat-looking knitted exterior, but I wouldn't describe it as cosy... or 'Cozie' even. It implies that there is something soft about it, but it's just made of the usual sort of plastic planter stuff, so quite rigid, but fairly strong. I'm looking forward to my plants flowering in the summer in this, because it will make a really nice focal point on my patio.

Stalker (Joona Linna 5)
Stalker (Joona Linna 5)
by Lars Kepler

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series, 28 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I absolutely loved this book, and got sucked in the story within the first few pages. It's one of those stories with a gripping opening, that I just had to read on to find out what happened. it's also the kind opening that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. I think of it every time I see a darkened window pane now, and I always tried to read it in daylight hours, because it was just too scary! The story is absolutely brilliant, and so well-written, just like the others in this series, which I can definitely recommend to any Nordic crime fans. Joona Lina is a fantastic character whose hidden depths become more apparent throughout the series. I must have missed the previous book in this series, 'The Sandman', so that was a bit annoying because I had to try and work out where the bits I had missed, but it didn't really spoil any of my enjoyment of the series, although I'm definitely going to rectify that as soon as possible., while making sure all the doors are properly locked.

Rapesco P20 Shimma Half Strip Stapler uses Staples 26 and 24/6 mm with 20 Sheet Capacity - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a smart looking stapler, which is very easy to load and to use. It's quite powerful, and will easily staple about 15 -20 sheets of normal printer paper. It looks good on your desk, and is big enough to not get lost, although not so big as to get in the way. I also have the hole puncher, and they are just perfect for the home office. Although plastic, this is very sturdy, and will last a very long time.

H2D VI Gold Line Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners
H2D VI Gold Line Professional Ionic and Infrared Hair Straighteners

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 12 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These straighteners are amazing, and I'm just so happy with them! They heat up incredibly quickly, and you can see the numbers flashing by on the display, until it reaches 230 degrees. They are just so easy to use, and the high temperature ensures that the results are amazing, and very quick to achieve. After using, my hair felt softer as well as looking much smoother and completely straight. It did not take very long for them to cool down after use either. I am someone who has had problems with very frizzy hair all my life, and it's rare for me to find something that works so well. They are expensive, but really are worth it.
Besides working so well, the packaging for this product is absolutely gorgeous and certainly enhances the luxurious feel of them. The outer box is black and gold to match the product, as is the lovely zippered travelling pouch which keeps them stored neatly. I am just so pleased with these, as they are so quick and easy to use, and the results are excellent.

Scruffy Mutt Dog Shampoo, 250 ml
Scruffy Mutt Dog Shampoo, 250 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Clean Dog, 10 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This shampoo is really great. Bathing your dog is a difficult enough task, when he's trying to jump out of the bath, and you are having to mess around with lids and trying to get the stuff out of the bottle. This spray shampoo does make it slightly easier. It's so easy to keep one hand on the dog, and just spray the shampoo on the part of the dog you are washing. It's low lather too, so less chance of getting foam in his eyes, and it's quite quick and easy to rinse off. I was surprised how little we used too, so this bottle should last for ages. It works really well, and my dog now looks so lovely and clean, and smells nice too.
This shampoo would be really good for just washing parts of the dog as necessary, without doing the whole bath thing. My dog is a Spaniel, so has a lot of fur on his feet and legs which gets very muddy. This would be ideal for washing just his feet.
Spray dog shampoo is such a good idea. I didn't know such a thing existed until I got this, but I'm quite pleased that I did. My dog hates the bath, and it just gets the whole experience over a little quicker.

200 Halogen Oven Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Halogen Oven Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Maryanne Madden

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a helpful little book, 8 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like these little 200 Hamlin recipe books, They all have loads of fantastic recipes with variations and additions to each one, as well as a good, clear colour photograph of everything to give you a bit of an idea of what yours is supposed to look like. The recipes do not use anything that you can't find in a reasonably sized supermarket, yet they manage to transform something unexciting like a chicken breast, into something quite amazing. This book is particularly useful to me, as I have a halogen oven, but as it came without instructions, I'm never really sure about cooking times, and how efficient it really is, compared with a regular fan oven. These were very popular appliances a few years ago now, and I don't use mine as often as I should. There must be loads of other people in the same situation as me, with a massive halogen oven taking up a lot of space in the kitchen. This is the perfect recipe book to inspire you to get it out again and give it another go. It's so much cheaper and quicker to use than a normal oven, and the recipes in here cover almost everything you could ever need, including bread and cakes, which I would never have thought to use it for. There's also a very helpful chapter giving you general advice and tips on the use of your oven.

The High Places
The High Places
by Fiona McFarlane

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but lacking something, 7 April 2016
This review is from: The High Places (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love short stories, and have read a lot of them over the years, but it seems to be a genre that is not as popular as it used to be. Usually, even though they are much shorter than a full length work of fiction, short stories still have a noticeable beginning, middle and end. That is usually not the case in this book. I had the impression of a door or window opening, and shining a beam of intense light on the subject for just a short while, and then closing and leaving everything in darkness again. Almost all of the stories end abruptly, leaving the reader wondering what the outcome of the situation was. For example: was that bird real? Why did he just leave like that, and how did the owner react when he realised it was gone? These are the sort of questions that I had in my mind after I finished each of the stories. The writing is brilliant, and I'm now very interested in reading Fiona McFarlane's previous book, 'The Night Guest' but I think that each of these stories could have a better conclusion, or reason for being, as I felt a slight sense of disillusionment as I could see the abrupt end of yet another story approaching as I turned the pages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20