Profile for RichR > Reviews

Content by RichR

RichR

The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life (Official UK Edition)
by Timothy Ferriss
Price: 18.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Epic Fail, 25 Mar 2013
I bought this book purely for the meta learning aspect. I was interested to find out how to learn anything quickly. The method seems quite logical. Identify the basic building blocks of the subject. Decide which 20% of them will give you 80% of the results you want. Learn them in a sequence that gives early victories and and avoids failure points.

I did wonder how you would do all this in a subject that you don't already know. The answer is to ask an expert. And not just any expert. In order to achieve accelerated learning in the subject, you need to find somebody who does things differently to everybody else.

To me, he is not teaching you how to learn the subject. He is just telling you to go and find somebody to teach you. This is what I would call a failure point since I would think that 97% of his readers are not going to do this.

I got the Kindle edition and I would say that I have gained very little from buying the book over reading the free chapter. I was very tempted to ask for a refund.