Profile for BethanieKay > Reviews

Content by BethanieKay

BethanieKay (TX, United States)

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander 7)
An Echo in the Bone (Outlander 7)
by Diana Gabaldon

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappoinment!, 26 Jan 2010
Wow, I'm not even sure what to write. I loved this book and I hated it. This is by far my least favorite book in the series. There were multiple things that Gabaldon totally messed up in writing this book - first, there were way too many sub-plots. At least four, maybe five. Ugh. There was way too much with boring Lord John and Willie, and other miscellaneous characters (who may or may not be related somehow to someone else)... come on, who cares? I want more Jamie and Claire! I would have been happy if the entire book focused on J and C, and had a bit of Young Ian thrown in, and maybe some Roger and Bree (who I normally think are annoying). Also, the entire story was totally disjointed - jumping back and forth in continuity, POV, time, place, you name it. It was mind boggling (in a bad way). There was also way too much boring history. Some of it is okay, but there were pages and pages that I just skimmed. Speaking of that, this book was way too long - they could have edited out at least 1/4 of this book and it would have still been fine. Finally, my biggest complaint is the awful, horrible, unfair, unjust cliffhanger ending of at least 3 of the many sub-plots. WHYYYYYY would she do that? As if we want to wait another 4 years to find out what happens with the KEY characters? It was ridiculous. I cannot believe she did that. Sometimes cliffhangers are good, but in this instance they were not.

There were a few good things in the book - first, I always love reading Jamie's clever witicisms. He'll always be the epitomy of a handsome, rugged, witty, sexy, sexual, loyal Scotsman :) I also love Claire and her intelligence, her ability to take charge, her loyalty, and her ability to keep things together (both literally and emotionally). I also think it's awesome that J and C still have their heated chemistry after all these years ;) [Would have loved for there to be more sex scenes... WTH?] Claire's medical knowledge always impresses me, so that's fun to read - although reading about wartime illnesses and injuries has gotten old across the past couple books. I also really enjoy Young Ian and Rollo - Ian is a very captivating character, and I love his loyalty and friendship with Rollo :) I'm glad Ian finally found someone he loves; albeit, a very unlikely match it is. Finally, although I pretty much hated all the boring scenes in America, I truly loved the scenes in Scotland.

I began reading this book with the thought that it was the final book, so I was expecting things to come to a conclusion (hopefully, a satisfactory one!). But nooo, instead it was an overlong, boring, tedious read with not enough Jamie and Claire and way too many other boring characters. Ugh. I felt that 'A Breath of Snow and Ashes' was overlong and boring, with not enough J and C, so I'm severely disappointed that this one was much of the same. I'm pretty ticked off that I have to wait another FOUR years (her usual track record) until the next book comes out, just to find the answer to the multiple cliff-hangers. I mean, come on - the book was already 800+ pages, couldn't she stick in another 20-50 pages to resolve these issues instead of making us wait unnecessarily for another four years? Seems like a marketing ploy, which I don't like - but of course because of my love for the Outlander books and their characters, I will wait, and I will buy the next (final?) book when it comes out. I just hope it's shorter than this one, and that it focuses on Jamie and Claire.

When people ask me what my favorite book is, Outlander is always one of my top ten. However, after the 4th book in this series, I think the series went downhill (for all the same reasons; too many characters, boring characters, boring storylines, too much history, and NOT ENOUGH Jamie and Claire). I can now definitively say that Gabaldon is not one of my favorite authors anymore - at least, not in her current/recent form. If she returned to the basics and wrote as she did for the first 4 Outlander books, I'd change my mind.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2013 9:25 PM BST

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
by Stieg Larsson
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, satisfying, fantastic!, 14 Jan 2010
Wow. I'm happy and sad all at once; happy because this was an excellent story, but sad that it's over :( I'm already bereft that there will be no more stories with Lisbeth and Mikael and all the other characters I came to enjoy through this series.

With that being said, this was an awesome follow-up to the second book in the series. It picked up right where the previous book left off, and ran at full force until the end ... with all the action, mystery, and intrigue that Larsson is known for. I was utterly pleased with the way the story played out, and most of the questions in my mind were answered. Considering this book wasn't meant to be the final book in the series, there are a still a couple things that were left unanswered, but nothing that left me too badly unsatisfied. Unfortunately, with the death of Larsson, these questions will remain unanswered. Oh well, by the time I turned the final page, I nonetheless felt satisfaction at the ending.

All in all, this was an absolutely incredible trilogy; definitely among the best books I've read in a while. I plan to tell as many people as possible about these books in the hopes that they, too, can enjoy them as much as I did.

[As a side note - I'm in America, and couldn't possibly wait until this book is released here later this year to read it! I'm thankful for Amazon.UK, which allowed me to quench my thirst for this book much earlier than would have been possible here]