Profile for Ricard89 > Reviews

Ricard89 (N. Ireland)

Global Organiser (large) / travel accessory/ camera bag
Global Organiser (large) / travel accessory/ camera bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 11 Mar. 2013
I hate carrying large bags around with me and bought this to take as hand luggage on a transatlantic trip. I thought it was just the job. Have also taken the bag now now for a couple of weekend boat trips away.Two main compartments for larger items - these each would have space for a couple of paperbacks.Then countless smaller pockets for documents,cameras,batteries change etc etc. Carries everything yet isn't bulky - in fact I could almost forget I was carrying it at times.Although I have only had it a short time the bag seems of very good quality. I hope to get a great deal of use out of it.

The Bone Collector [DVD]
The Bone Collector [DVD]
Dvd ~ Queen Latifah
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Still The Same Second Time Round, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Bone Collector [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this movie when it first came out around 13 years ago but hadn't seen it since.It had long since vanished from my collection so I decided to buy it again.
Positives - Denzel Washington - who improves just about anything he's in in my view.
Also Angelina Jolie.This was shot before she was a "celebrity".These days it is perhaps sometimes overlooked she is also a very watchable and charismatic screen actor - as she shows here.
The relationship between the two leads works for me. Support cast is good too. The story kept me hooked right up to the end. Which is the weakest thing about the movie I think.
Your opinions on some movies change over the years but basically my opinion on the Bone Collector is the same as the first time I saw it. A well acted, well directed, entertaining 4 star thriller apart from the final reel which I still thinks needs some work! But much here to enjoy.

Rizzoli and Isles - Season 1 [DVD]
Rizzoli and Isles - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angie Harmon
Offered by Venture Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I Took The Chance, 29 Dec. 2012
I had never heard of the books this show is based on, hadn't even heard of the show - it was recommended to me here on Amazon - no doubt based on the large number of Law & Order DVD's I have lying around the house. But of all the actors who sat alongside Sam Waterston on that show, Angie Harmon was always my favourite - so I took the chance.
She has actually more to do in this show, as a cop (Rizzoli) alongside Sasha Alexander as the Medical Examiner (Isles). In the extras the makers seemed to be suggesting they were doing something a bit different. Actually from the two female leads (I'm old enough to remember Cagney and Lacey) to the ME who tends to stray a bit beyond the job remit (RIP Jack Klugman) I don't honestly think there is anything here I haven't seen before. But I still really enjoyed it. For me this show's strength is it's cast. Even when the stories are on the thin side they keep it going. The two leads seem naturally comfortable together. There is nothing more painful than watching people who can't do comedy trying to do comedy - but they handle the light stuff really really well. The supporting cast also deserve a mention as they bring life to what could be one dimensional roles.
The Boston setting makes an interesting change from the more familiar LA or New York. Oh, and Angie Harmon looks just as gorgeous now as she did over a decade ago....
As long as you aren't expecting something too demanding I think there is very little here not to like. Will get Season 2.

Karrimor Men's Bodmin II Mid Weathertite Walking Boot
Karrimor Men's Bodmin II Mid Weathertite Walking Boot

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Comfortable Walking Boot, 3 Aug. 2012
Negatives - Despite what it says these my first experience in boggy ground demonstrated the boots I purchased are not waterproof.Nor would I say they are the most robust I have ever owned.
Positives _ They are however extremely comfortable.I have narrow feet but they fitted no problem.I took them to the States during the winter on holiday.I wasn't walking over any particulary difficult terrain, but I was doing at least 12 miles a day on my tourist travels along tracks, paths, pavements and my feet hardly noticed! They also kept the rain and snow out.
Basically if you are looking for a serious hiking boot spend more money.But as a comfortable walking boot,well I'm about to purchase another pair.

Visconti Oiled Leather SHIELD Wallet 707
Visconti Oiled Leather SHIELD Wallet 707

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, 12 May 2012
Had the wallet a couple of weeks now and first impressions are favourable.
Of course how it stands up to "wear and tear" only time will tell, but it looks very well.If you like to keep a lot of change in your wallet the small zip up compartment may not be adequate for you.Likewise if you carry a lot of cards this one only has seven slots. However the most important thing for me was a wallet that could contain a decent amount without being too bulky and I'm very pleased with this one so far.

Tokyo Station
Tokyo Station
by Martin Cruz Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Tokyo Station (Paperback)
I would rate the early Arkady Renko stories as amongst some of my favourite books, so quite why it has taken me so long to get round to reading this particular story I'm not quite sure. Perhaps because the more recent Renko novels, while entertaining, I wouldn't regard as essential. This story however reminded me why I enjoyed the early books in that series so much. The author evokes a time and a place to a remarkable degree, and creates fascinating characters that draw you into that world. The thriller element in a way is secondary - it is the images of pre-war Tokyo that I suspect will linger in the memory.
Not sure if it matches Polar Star and Gorky Park - I'm going to have to read them again to find out - but definitely currently my third favourite novel by Martin Cruz Smith!

Fujifilm FinePix F550 Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 15x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 4 Oct. 2011
My last camera was fine but my problem with it was it only had a x3 zoom.I actually considered getting a separate bigger camera for occasions where I would need a decent zoom but I am what you might call luggage phobic -I hate lugging round extra bags,holdalls etc.So I looked for a compact camera with a decent zoom and this camera, along with the Panasonic Lumix, seemed to be the stand out options.Not being particularly technically minded I went with this one mainly because I liked the look of it more!
Had it 3 months now.
The obvious pros - its compact,light, handy and has a great zoom.
Other pros - I read a review here that says this is not a point and click camera.I would disagree.It has multiple settings and features to no doubt keep the more competent photographer occupied - I can't comment because I haven't used them!
I've been to numerous events in the last three months, from outdoors to wedding receptions, and taken great photos at all of them.
The only con I have come across is the previously mentioned issue of the video mode sometimes losing focus when you use the zoom.Which is an occasional irritant but one I can live with given the plus points.All in all very happy.

Wonder Woman: Season 2 [DVD] [2005]
Wonder Woman: Season 2 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Lynda Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Disappointed, 15 Jun. 2011
The show was one of my strongest and fondest television memories as a very young boy. But I hadn't seen it in thirty years. Nor had I any great urge to. Not least because quite a few TV and film memories viewed years later would have been better off left in the past....
But with the recent talk of a new series curiosity got the better of me. And I have to say in this case I was not disappointed. First there is the extreme nostalgia value. Long buried now recalled memories of talking "super!" computers and the easy going charm of Lyle Waggoner as Steve Trevor for example.
OK some of it is daft - but frankly I suspect I was vaguely aware that some of it was daft when I was seven. It is also highly entertaining.
Central to the show (spoiler alert!) is Lynda Carter.
There is the remarkable, er, physical presence - which I can appreciate now! But she also brings charm, humour, sincerity and an incredible warmth to her dual role - which I guess is the reason why it had such an impact on my seven year old self. I know I'm biased but it's a pretty lethal combination for anyone else attempting to take on the part.
It's hard to quite know how the series would view without the nostalgia factor but I suspect today's youngsters would love it too.
Season 3 and then Season 1 - which I believe wasn't shown in the UK - up next!

Kojak - Season 2 [DVD]
Kojak - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Telly Savalas

4.0 out of 5 stars 1 Star Or 4?, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Kojak - Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I had only vague memories of Kojak from my childhood but I enjoy my cop dramas and knew the show was highly thought of so purchased Season 1. Really enjoyed it so I then went to purchase this season.Was a bit hesitant after reading some of the comments here about quality but thought "how bad can it be?" The answer is bad! It maybe seemed especially poor to me as I was watching it virtually back to back with Season 1.
I sat through the first 15 minutes of the opening episode intent on sending the DVD back, composing a strongly worded 1 star review and wondering how anyone could get away with this in the 21st century.
But...but..but..the reason they can probably get away with it is the show.The episodes as a whole are just as good as (or maybe even better) than Season 1.The "worst" episodes are still entertaining, the best miles better than most stuff on the telly now (and probably then too).Great storylines,sharp dialogue, strong acting and a wonderful evocation of a time and a place.
I'm still taking a star off for the dodgy technical quality though!

Tru Calling - The Complete Series [DVD]
Tru Calling - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eliza Dushku

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Pleasant Surprise, 25 Aug. 2007
After another day over-spending on films on Amazon I was looking for something to watch while eating my microwave dinners and I came across Tru Calling.But I had my doubts.

A show that gets cancelled after a season or so can't be very good right? Plus it crossed my mind maybe in my mid thirties I may be a bit old for this fantasy lark.And Eliza Dushku I thought at the time I had only seen in Bring It On (I didn't make the connection with the girl in True Lies and This Boys Life!).V pretty but could she really carry a show?
But at the end of the day the price of under a tenner was too hard to resist.

Of course my first concern should have been immediately discounted as studio executives famously don't have a clue.As proved yet again by this show!As for my second you are never too old for well written,well directed and well acted drama and Tru Calling is all three.A word for the support cast who are all very good and very very watchable, especially Shawn Reaves who I thought worked superbly well with Eliza as her wayward brother.
But it is Ms Dushku's show.As another reviewer noted she is on screen for virtually the entire running time yet she never hits a false note which requires a lot more than good looks and charm,though of course she has both.
All in all quality U.S. television.
Not sure if its the best ten pounds I ever spent but certainly the best ten pounds I ever spent online!