Profile for Sammy Birch > Reviews

Content by Sammy Birch

Sammy Birch "Sammy Birch" (England)

Against The Tide
Against The Tide
by Elizabeth Revill

5.0 out of 5 stars Adored this story, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Against The Tide (Paperback)
Smugglers, heroes, women in trouble, mysterious murderers, heartache and loss. No one delivers more satisfaction than Elizabeth Revill in her books and this one is no exception. Nathaniel is a man with a mission, to avenge his father's death, and so he joins the Riders to stop the smugglers on the south Welsh coast. He is shunned by all but a brave few and one of those who helps him is a beautiful, but scarred young woman. Swords and pistols, danger and heroism ensue at a ripping pace. You can almost feel the wind and rain beat at you as Nathaniel rides to protect the people and stop the smugglers. A great story

My Boy
My Boy
by Anthony James

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you need a hand to hold, 13 July 2012
This review is from: My Boy (Paperback)
This is a sad but beautiful book. If your life has been touched by death and you need to know you aren't alone, this true story will hold your hand and give you comfort.

The Sister And The Daughter
The Sister And The Daughter
by Ciel Dexter

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaw Dropping, 13 July 2012
I really don't know what to say to describe this book. It's beautifully written, well researched, complex, dark, mysterious, dream like, passionate, intelligent and unique. A small family of Romany arrive in England just days ahead of the plague in 1348, they settle in a small village, controlled by a local lord. The young man of the travelling folk is drawn to the lord's daughter and a love affair begins but so does the plague. It tears through the village and so say more would be giving you spoilers and I don't want to that, but if medieval history is your thing and clever doesn't scare you, this book is going to be worth reading. Much better than Company of Wolves.

Wilt: (Wilt Series 1)
Wilt: (Wilt Series 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Funny, 13 Sep 2011
One of the funniest books I've ever read. An innocent remark made in frustration and long forgotten sparks a series of comic scenarios that just keep escalating. Wilt becomes more and more bewildered as the complications mount. My only complaint about Tom Sharpe is that I never find his characters particularly endearing. I recently read Of Course I Love You, I Just Don't Like You Very Much and that is very much in a similar vein. Having said that, I did laugh so loud at several points my poor husband thought I'd gone mad!

Cooper And The Queen
Cooper And The Queen
by Don Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars We are most amused!, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Cooper And The Queen (Paperback)
This is a fantastic yarn. It's a sort of conspiracy thriller mixed with a very unusual love twist. Dan Brown for grown ups! Great fun.

Starter for Ten
Starter for Ten
by David Nicholls

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Starter for Ten (Paperback)
Having been in university around the time this was set I was keen to try this. The characters are great but not necessarily all that likeable. The university life is well drawn and there are some very funny set pieces, but nothing really new. It all feels a bit dated, although to be fair, I think that is probably what the author was going for. I recently read The Return Of The Hippy: A Story Of Hope which is very similar type of humour but I feel much better done and far funnier.

As a comment on university life and the pursuit of fame it is an interesting and mildly amusing book. I think the main problem is that the protagonist is actually a not very likeable character.

Camelot - Season 1 [DVD]
Camelot - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamie Campbell Bower
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, I loved it!, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Camelot - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I know this has its detractors but I found this great fun. I hate the political nonsense of stuff like Game of Thrones, I might just as well be watching The West Wing! Camelot is full of Adult content and it has a certain rawness about it. When I watch fantasy, I want just that, I don't want boring and overly convoluted allegories of today's unhappy world. Camelot takes you away and transplants one in this magical world of pure escapism. I loved it! I have also recently just read Lancelot And The Wolf which gives a very interesting spin on the world of Camelot and exactly what courtly love is all about!

I think this is a tragedy that this series got cancelled, we need more pure fantasy and less Reality TV!!!

The Kings of Eternity
The Kings of Eternity
by Eric Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Kings of Eternity (Paperback)
This starts out really well with an opening chapter that HG Wells would be proud of. Alien contact in Victorian England. The narrative flips between nearly present day and the Victorian era and the writing style cleverly changes with this. The Victorian sections actually feel as though they were written in this era!
The problem is this flips in the middle and switches from an adventure type story into a a gentle pastoral treatise on immortality. Whilst very well written and engaging it feels like two different books. If I had known what the second half would be like I would not have started it.