Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 935

Amazon Customer (Aberdeen, Scotland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tacwise 191ELS with 180 Nail Selection Pack & 91 Staple Selection Pack (Bundle Pack)
Price: 76.37

5.0 out of 5 stars With a nailgun in your hand, every problem looks like a nail (or staple), 16 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I admit I'm not a frequent DIYer and I had never used a nailgun before this one, so unfortunately I can't compare it to its competition. However, perhaps this review will be useful to other nailgun neophytes.

The tool is cabled and, since it doesn't require a large battery, is fairly light as a consequence. I found it easy to handle, though I never had cause to nail or staple anything in an awkward or remote position (fortunately). I used it for stapling heavy fabric, for nailing netting onto garden posts, and for fixing a sign. It performed well for each of these tasks, though occasionally a nail would have to be manually finished off. On the whole it saved me a lot of time and spared my thumbs from a beating if I'd tried to use a hammer. The action is satisfying and not as dangerous or scary as your might imagine using a tool that pounds pointy objects into other objects.

The cable is 1.8m long, which was fine for me.

A generous selection of nails and staples of varying sizes are included in the pack, and I haven't had to replenish them or try different varieties yet.

D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
D'Addario NYXL1046 Regular Light 10-46 Electric Guitar Strings
Price: 11.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Strings, 16 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are attractively packaged strings, although something about the black slipcase and 'XL' moniker makes me think of condom packaging. Each string has a colour code matching up to a legend that says what the string is for each colour. Probably not necessary for most guitarists but potentially useful, particularly if a string is separated from the set so you can't compare the width.

I swapped out the tired set of super slinkies on my SG for these just the other day, so I can't comment about their longterm durability, but they seem solid and sound good. The sustain is better than the slinkies owing to their greater gauge and the tone seems good, though I'm no golden ears. Overall, they seem like a quality entry to the market.

Waring WTK17CU Traditional Polished Kettle Polished Stainless Steel, 1.7 Litre
Waring WTK17CU Traditional Polished Kettle Polished Stainless Steel, 1.7 Litre
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, boils fast, 25 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an attractive, sturdily built kettle. The chrome finish should look classy on most countertops (so long as you wipe off the crumbs and cathair occasionally) and the squat style serves to differentiate it from most upright kettles. This comes at the cost of a slightly greater bottom radius, so bear that in mind if space is at a premium. Water boils quickly and has no discernible extra taste, which I've found some cheap plastic kettles to have. It's also quiet.

Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Enamel Set
Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Enamel Set
Price: 144.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever idea backed up with quality, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a one-bedroom flat with a tiny galley kitchen. There's very little space to store large pans. I have enough room for a rail above my cooker, but even that is pretty limiting. With this set I'm able to put a fairly comprehensive collection of pans on top of my microwave or under the sink without any problems.

The idea is simple: the pans themselves don't have handles, instead you use separate handles that securely clamp on to the rim of the pan you want to use. This allows the pans to sit matyroska style within each other. If you think about it, the handle of a regular pan makes it a somewhat awkward shape for putting in the sink, in the fridge, or in a cupboard.

At first I thought it was a silly gimmick. I've come round since, though, and I think a good amount of thought has gone into the design of the Ingenio line:
- Even the lids are designed to lie flat atop one another, with the handles folding down.
- The set also comes with a couple of plastic covers so you can easily put leftovers in the fridge without having to use a separate tupperware or bowl.
- The handles or grips really clamp onto the pans. There's a tiny bit of wiggle, but I think you'd struggle to remove a handle from the pan once it's snapped on.
- The handles are also surprisingly easy to clean: absolutely essential given that the set is marketed as a space and labour saving tool.

As for the pans themselves - I think they're quality. I usually use Circulon Infinite skillets (and still do, since there isn't an exact equivalent in this set) and I'd say that the heat transfer and non-stick finish is comparable. They're a cut above the John Lewis own-brand set I had been using before, which was already pretty decent. They cook well, clean well, and look good. I've used the small wok extensively for stir fries and the larger saucepans for all sorts of one-pot dishes that need to go in the oven.

I'd recommend this set for anyone who needs to save some space in the kitchen and doesn't have a great deal of hanging storage available. The cookware is high enough quality that it'd be useful in any kitchen, though, and I do think this is an example of positive innovation in a fairly staid industry.

Logitech Wireless Performance Combo MX800
Logitech Wireless Performance Combo MX800
Price: 106.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and functional wireless combo, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A few years ago I had no interest in swapping out my cabled peripherals for wireless ones. The technology, I thought, wasn't good enough to justify the disconnections, latency, radiation, or whatever else I saw as drawbacks to wireless stuff. I've gradually changed my opinion after using a few wireless headsets and mice.

Keyboard:
This illuminated keyboard has more in common with laptop keyboards than the chunky keys I'm used to, but its not-quite-chiclet design makes for fast, easy typing with good accuracy. It has an understated, no-nonsense look that should match whatever else you have on your desk. The illumination does a neat trick of fading out when you aren't typing and returning when it senses your hands coming close to the keys.

It has the usual volume functions in the top right as dedicated buttons, but you'll have to hold down the fn key (which replaces the right windows key) if you want to access the other shortcuts, which is pretty standard nowadays.

I like the keyboard a lot and I'd recommend buying it separately if you don't fancy the mouse as well.

Mouse:
I should mention that the shape of this mouse makes it pretty much right hand-only unless you have an unusual grip with your left hand. I find it fairly comfortable, if a bit heavy (due to the battery) compared to my old mouse. It seems accurate enough and I've used it in design work as well as games. I warn you that most of the games I play aren't exactly action-packed so it might not be sensitive enough for shooters or speed solitaire (is that a thing? I hope not).

The mouse comes with a fancy free-spinning scroll wheel which helps with scrolling down long documents and also gives you a satisfying thing to play with while procrastinating. This can be changed to a more conventional 'segment' style wheel by pressing down a little toggle on the top of the mouse. The extra buttons are unhelpfully bound to forward and back by default. I wanted to immediately change them to cut and paste, as I do with all my mice with extra buttons, but I had a hard time getting the Logitech Setpoint software to detect the mouse and allow me to customise it. I had to uninstall all of the Logitech drivers and fiddle with the order I put usb connections in before I was able to get the mouse working properly in Setpoint.

Otherwise it's a decent enough mouse, but nothing spectacular.

This is a high quality mouse and keyboard set that will be a definite upgrade over what you got with your PC (or more likely laptop) but expect to spend some time trawling support forums in order to get the mouse to work properly if you've ever installed wireless Logitech drivers on your PC before.

Montane Singletrack Cycling Jacket - Large
Montane Singletrack Cycling Jacket - Large
Offered by Wheelies Outlet
Price: 68.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent jacket, 2 Jun 2014
This is basically all I wanted in a lightweight cycling jacket. The front pocket and back pouch are both generous enough to hold whatever I don't fancy having in my trouser pockets when I'm cycling and the zips are high quality wind/water resistant ones. The material is light but surprisingly warm. In hot weather it does have a bit of the bin-liner feel, but it isn't too bad, and the air rushing past stops it from becoming uncomfortable. The jacket scrunches up to the size of a tennis ball and comes with a handy pouch.

The waterproofing is decent. You won't escape some dampness if you're out for a long time in a downpour, but it's more than enough to protect you from light showers.

MegaRed Original Krill Oil - Pack of 90 Tablets
MegaRed Original Krill Oil - Pack of 90 Tablets
Price: 25.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A miniature pill to swallow, 2 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't and won't try to get into the potential health benefits of taking oils like these. However, I can tell you that these tablets are smaller and a lot easier to swallow - no weird lodged feeling if it goes down the wrong way - and I haven't had any aftertaste from them. As someone who suffers from occasional bouts of acid reflux, I really appreciate that. For those reasons I'd recommend the MegaRed tablets if you're in the market for this kind of supplement.

Tefal BL142A42 Fruit Sensation Blender - Silver
Tefal BL142A42 Fruit Sensation Blender - Silver
Price: 35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Value, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
+ Includes attachments for grinding and chopping - I've used the chopper to process veg for soup and it gives a good consistency without absolutely pureeing ingredients.

-/+
It has a fairly small volume, so be prepared to make multiple batches if you're making a lot of juice. However, ths small volume leads to a small footprint which makes it ideal for people with limited counter space (me).

I sometimes avoid using food processors and blenders because I think of them as hard to clean, but the Fruit Sensation is easy to scrub out after use.

Lids are included for all the containers so you can stick them in the fridge for later.

Overall it's a good value small blender for making juice for 1 or 2 people. Easy to clean and well designed.

Olympus DM-901 Stereo Voice Recorder with 4GB Flash Memory, PCM, MP3 and WMA - Black
Price: 166.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof that specialised gadgets still have a place, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The advent of smartphones has led to a seemingly unstoppable consolidation of functions that have been traditionally carried out by separate devices into a single, pocketable device. The camera on most smartphones is decent enough to justify not buying a point and shoot, likewise the mic is usually good enough for voice calls and Skype.

But what if you want something better than decent? If you're into photography you'd buy a DSLR or a high end point and shoot - you get better controls and a higher fidelity end product.

The same holds true for voice recorders.

This gadget is about the size of an old candy-bar style phone, with a bunch of useful physical controls and a screen that is just large enough to display the necessary information. It'll fit in most pockets and seems solidly constructed. In addition to integral speakers (which are ok for checking that you've actually recorded something!) you get a set of earphones for more discrete listening.

I really appreciate the tactility of physical controls for stuff like this, mainly because they remove the need to be looking at a touchscreen in order to turn off recording or change a setting. There's also a voice assist function which could be very useful for anyone with a visual impairment.

The different recording profiles cater for various settings like lecture halls, conferences, personal dictation, and so on. I haven't had an opportunity to test all of them, but the dictation setting gives a clear recording and seems to have a level of noise cancellation appropriate for recording your own voice. I also lent the unit to a foreign student my mum is transcribing lectures for. He'd previously been recording lectures on his phone and the quality made it difficult to make out certain phrases. There was a marked difference in quality when he used this recorder - perhaps because it picks up directional sound a lot better, and probably simply because it has a much more sensitive mic than any phone.

The battery also lasts for ages - perhaps a benefit of the small screen - far longer than if I tried to record the same amount of audio on my phone.

Overall, I highly recommend the DM-901 to anyone who needs to record spoken audio. This is a specialised device built for a specific purpose, and it shows.

Bosch Isio Cordless Shrub/ Grass Shear
Bosch Isio Cordless Shrub/ Grass Shear
Price: 53.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Emphasis on shrub rather than grass, 14 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good:
Comes with a handy storage case for packing away when not in use.
Trims shrubs and hedges far faster than with manual shears - trust me, I've been using shears for years - and with a good degree of control. Despite having a battery that lasts for around 40-50 minutes (plenty of time for a couple of small to moderate sized hedges) the unit is light and easy to handle.

Mediocre:
Although it was able to cut through the newer hedge grown with relative ease, thicker vegetation caused a problem. This is a tool more suited for maintenance than demolition.

Bad:
It can be used to cut grass, but so can a bread knife. You could use it to touch up a lawn, but cutting a large area consistently would be difficult and bad for your bad. Stick to a dedicated tool for this.

In summary: a good, easy to handle tool for small hedge maintenance, but not suited to mass grass trimming or major vegetation removal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20