Profile for GlueStick > Reviews

Content by GlueStick

GlueStick

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
[0.2mm 2.5D Arc Edge 99% Clarity] Nexus 6P Tempered Glass Screen Protector, Nillkin® Rounded Edge 9H Hardness Anti Glare Fingerprints Resistance High Definition Screen Protector Tempered Glass for Google Huawei Nexus 6P
Offered by E-SANMIN

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality protector for the 6P, 8 April 2016
Having previously used an iVoler protector, I found it to be non-oleophobic (it was a fingerprint magnet!) and also had trouble with the camera cutout getting clogged up with dust.

The solution was to try this - a product that doesn't have a camera cutout, has the right shaped proximity cutouts and also has an oleophobic coating.

Installation went swimmingly using my previous experience - the only trouble I'm having are with 2 tiny dust particles which appear to have gotten underneath the protector somehow which I didn't notice when applying. The manual provided is a little short in terms of giving clear instructions but it does give you the basics. YouTube can also help you if you're trying to install a glass protector for the first time but believe me when I say it's easy; just ensure that you work in a reasonably dust free environment (I find a kitchen without carpet works well) and wash our hands prior to application.

There aren't really any complains about this protector apart from that it's ever so slightly smaller than the exact screen size, but then I've not really found any glass protectors which are the perfect size... perhaps it's my OCD! Anyway, this protector doesn't affect clarity of the screen, is oil/fingerprint resistant and can be cleaned in seconds, and feels like smooth glass when you glide your finger over it. If you're wondering if there is any impact in not having a cutout for the camera, I can tell you that the picture quality appears unaffected. Let's not forget that as long as it's installed cleanly first time, it's extremely easy to wipe and clean the camera area without hassle.

Great product. Highly recommended.

Happy buying :-)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2016 10:53 AM BST

Nexus 6P Screen Protector- iVoler Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Huawei Google Nexus 6P- 0.2mm Ballistics Glass, 2.5D Round Edge, 9H Hardness Featuring Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fingerprint, Bubble Free- Lifetime Replacement Warranty
Offered by iVoler EU

2.0 out of 5 stars An oil magnet!, 8 April 2016
I replaced an Inskin glass protector with this iVoler one as the Inskin did not have the correct cutouts for my Nexus 6P.

Yes the cutouts are all there for camera, speakers and proximity sensors but there is one major problem for me which forced me to try another protector - the oleophobic coating is not so oleophobic after all. This protector is a fingerprint magnet and is very difficult to clean unlike previous protectors which I've used in the past! The other thing which I found annoying was the camera cutout. It would accumulate dust and due to the small size of the cutout (causing the front cam to be unclear), and this area was very difficult to clean without the use of a cotton bud or similar.

Replaced this with a Nillkin protector which does not have a camera cutout and actually has a decent oleophobic coating which is easy to clean.

If you have any questions, please leave me a comment.

Happy buying :)

Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Quadricopter (Sand)
Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Quadricopter (Sand)

3.0 out of 5 stars An expensive toy, 3 Dec. 2015
As a photography enthusiast, I purchased this 720P-camera-equipped drone thinking I could get some good aerial shots. Of course I didn't expect miracles but I did have some fairly high expectations given the price point for this product.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a mere toy. The camera was hardly 720P as it seemed to be out of focus - a quick YouTube search found many videos of people modifying their cameras to correct the focus. The fact that the camera isn't angled, nor stabilised in any way was a deal breaker. I actually chose this Parrot AR Drone 2.0 over other cheaper ones as I presumed the image quality and flight stability would be superior. Sadly, this didn't seem to be the case. Furthermore,The Wi-Fi signal to my HTC One M8 during test flight was also not very stable as the camera kept pixelating on my screen during recording - and, out of the box, what you see on screen is what's recorded directly onto your device/controller (unless you add a separate USB flash drive). The software is also not great; the 'Piloting viewer' fails to open first time. For some reason, I have to go into the settings to clear the app data and cache for it to work. This was the case on both my HTC One M8 and Nexus 9 tablet.

On the bright side, it flies fairly well and the controls are easy for beginners. I flew it on a fairly windy day (although it did seem to struggle somewhat), and as I previously mentioned, the picture was not nearly as smooth as I anticipated. You get an indoor and outdoor hull, the former protecting the propellers from bumps against walls and ceilings.

Overview: Given I was after aerial photography, I actually ended up returning this and replacing it with a DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I know it costs a good £300 more, but it feels like money worth spent. This particular product is great for beginners looking for some fun, however the bottom line is that the price point is very high for what you get. If you want me to be honest, I felt like I was flying something worth £100 or less... perhaps if the camera was in focus, it might get 4 stars from me.

Happy buying :-)

Anker Quick Charge 2.0 18W USB Turbo USB Wall Charger for Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge / Edge+, Note 5, Note 4 / Edge, Nexus 6, HTC M9, Xperia Z3 / Z2, Moto X and More (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quicker than your average charger, 2 Nov. 2015
N.B: I was supplied a sample for test and review purposes.

Starting with packaging, I was very impressed with the rather premium look and feel that the charger arrived in. In the box you get: the charger, a 3ft USB cable, a warranty card and a quick start guide.

The build quality of the charger appears to be of good quality plastic, with an LED indicator and the Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 clearly printed on the side. The 3ft included cable is also of good quality though not as robust as their nylon range.

Once plugged in, the LED indicator lights up blue. When plugging in a Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 compatible device, the LED indicator turns green - specifying that Quick Charge™ is active. Plugging in an incompatible device keeps the LED light blue, and charging works as normal (though not quickly). Despite this LED indicator being a great feature, the only niggle is that if you plug this near your bedside, you'll find the light to be bright enough to cast a glow on your bedroom ceiling!

I tested the charger with my HTC One (M8), and although it was quicker than the factory HTC charger, I did not receive outstanding results - only around 25% in a 20 min charge (probably about 20% quicker than my HTC charger). I understand that Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 charges *up to 75% faster* but I don't know whether that's down to the charger or my phone. What I do know is that my HTC charger charges quicker than other average Android chargers that I've tried so perhaps if you're coming from one of those, you'll see a notable difference.

Summary: pretty happy with the product overall - it does what it says on the tin and charges my device quicker than the factory charger whilst being cheaper than the HTC Fast charger. Whether that will charge my phone quicker, I cannot be sure, but this Anker charger is certainly a slight improvement over the original.

Happy buying :)

Motorola Moto 360 Stainless Steel Smartwatch and Heart Rate/Activity Tracker with Bluetooth Connectivity Compatible with Android 4.3+ Smartphones -Grey Leather
Offered by Mobile Phone Island

4.0 out of 5 stars You’ll never know the convenience till you get one, 8 Oct. 2015
I was keen on smartwatches, though very hesitant in case I was wasting my money. I waited for the original Moto360 to drop in price (now that the second gen is here), and I took the plunge. This review is for the Stainless Steel Moto360 with a slim band which I purchased from America (for cheap!). The band is the only difference from this model – the actual watch body is the same as the stainless steel one you can purchase here in the UK.

Now onto the actual review:

Design (5/5): For me the metal stainless steel watch is a real stunner. I’ve seen the black version but the aluminium watch body is just beautiful. Oh but what about that flat tyre look? Honestly, you don’t notice it. In fact, it makes the Google Now cards which appear look better as they appear in a ‘strip’. I chose a simple digital watch face design which makes the flat tyre almost invisible – it works fine for me and I prefer the bezel on the watch to be smaller.

Battery life (3.5/5): This was something I was worried about; whether it will be able to comfortably last me a day. My Moto360 survives the day from 7.30am till about 8pm with 50% or so remaining (wrist gestures on, tilt to wake on, Wi-Fi off). [UPDATE: If you own a manual car, and drive a lot in traffic, tilt to wake can hammer the battery as the watch lights up when changing gear - especially gear 1. Don't forget that you could, if you wanted to, turn off tilt to wake when driving and turn it back on later]. This works fine for me, and I simply remove the watch and place it on the wireless charger before going to bed. To be honest, I sometimes even charge it prior to going to bed and switch it off till the morning as it only takes about two hours to fully charge from 0%. I cannot really expect the watch to last more than this, and even if it does, it will only drain the battery unnecessarily during the night. Battery life does naturally suffer heavily when ambient mode is on, as when Wi-Fi is on, but I do not use these features all the time. It’s helpful to be able to switch on Wi-Fi when needed, as opposed to constantly running. If you do need these features constantly on however, then please consider the second gen Moto360 as they claim the battery life is slightly better. Until Android Wear has a feature similar to ‘doze’ in Android Marshmallow, most people would be looking to charge any device overnight anyway – it’s just the norm.

Convenience (3.5/5): It’s what it’s designed for, and it’s great at it. Notifications appear on your wrist with a light vibration. Swiping away to dismiss junk emails, being able to quick reply to messages with a simple Yes/No are all convenience based. I do feel that you need to wear the watch fairly tightly to be able to notice the vibration – not sure how it is on the second gen version, but it’s a little disappointing that the vibration is so subtle on this watch. Consequently, the Moto360 gets a 3.5/5.

Android Wear (4/5): Good start, with the updates they’ve pushed out. Interface is easy to navigate, is simple and intuitive. Swipe up/down on the watch face to see notifications and Google Now cards, swipe left to see more information and also to move onto the other settings, and swipe right to go back. It’s really that simple. There does seem to be some periodic issues also whereby the screen automatically lights up for some notifications but not others. Not having used other Android Wear watches, I cannot tell whether the notification issue is a results of Moto or Android Wear itself. Another thing which I’d really like to be able to do is refresh the Now cards from my watch but I hope this is available in the future.

Performance (4/5): If you haven’t tried the newer watches, you’ll not have any major disappointments – the UI is not super smooth, but it’s smooth enough to use without getting frustrated. I did worry that the older processor would struggle a lot more that it does, but I have been proven wrong.

Summary: The concept of a smartwatch may seem and feel pointless, but you will only notice its benefits once you use one. No it isn’t ‘necessary’ and yes you can get your phone out to check and quick reply to notifications… but you can also get off your couch to switch on that TV by hand! It’s all about convenience.

If you don’t mind charging it every night and want an attractive smartwatch, this is for you. I would recommend this to anyone looking to try out a smartwatch. If you can get it for cheaper – which I have seen this metal one go down to £118 on Amazon – then lucky you!

Do leave me a comment if you have any questions!

Happy buying :)

Motorola Moto 360 Stainless Steel Smartwatch and Heart Rate/Activity Tracker with Bluetooth Connectivity Compatible with Android 4.3+ Smartphones - Dark Steel/Black Leather Strap

Now onto the actual review:

If you don’t mind charging it every night and want an attractive smartwatch, this is for you. At the current price (sub £130), I would recommend this to anyone looking to try out a smartwatch. If you can get it for cheaper – which I have seen it go down to £110 on Amazon – then lucky you!

Do leave me a comment if you have any questions!

HTC Desire 816 SIM-Free Smartphone - White
HTC Desire 816 SIM-Free Smartphone - White

4.0 out of 5 stars A great phone at a great price, 24 Dec. 2014
N.B: I was supplied a sample for test and review purposes.

Here were my immediate out of the box thoughts for the Desire 816:

- Build quality (8.5/10): It made me say wow; yes it's plastic, but it's glossy and beautifully finished with soft touch plastic surroundings (gives added grip) and metal buttons. Having said that, the glossy plastic does mean that the back is prone to picking up fingerprints. In comparison to existing phones, I would say that the Desire 816 has a `shiny' finish closest to that of the iPhone 5C.

- Power button (4/10): Its placement is a huge mistake in my opinion. It's on the left hand side, at the top. This may be great for a left-hander with a very long thumb, but for others, it's not very convenient. Of course, you will get used to it after a while, though I was very frustrated with it to begin with at first since it's difficult to use one-handed. More conventionally, the power button should have been placed halfway down on the right hand side as they are on most large screen phones. It's a real shame that HTC's Motion Launch gestures are not included in this device as in the flagship M8; it would have really helped.

- Display (8/10): Screen resolution was initially something I was cautious about given that this is a 5.5" phone with a 720p display (~267 PPI). Surprisingly, I have to say though that the average user will not even notice the difference between this and a 1080p (or higher resolution) screen. HTC have somehow managed to smooth out the pixels to the point where it isn't an issue. Of course other large screen phones such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and LG G3 have insane Quad HD screens but it should not be forgotten that the Desire 816 is significantly cheaper than those higher-end devices. Resolution aside, the screen is very bright, responsive and has great colours - it's a treat to watch videos and play games on this phone.

- Size vs BoomSound (8/10): It's larger than the G3, yet around the same size as the Note 4 which houses a larger 5.7" screen. My immediate feeling was that the phone is too big for what it is. There was one thing which I had forgotten about however - HTC's BoomSound speakers. Oh my gosh, these speakers are so worth the extra bezel on the top and bottom of the phone. They have pretty much identical quality and loudness as HTCs flagship M8, which gives the Desire 816 (along with the M8) the best speakers in the mobile phone industry. You'll be able to hear your phone ringing a mile away! The only thing which remaining which bugs me are the left and right bezels; they could have easily been smaller and made for a more comfortable fit in the hand.

So, now onto the stuff which will reflects day to day usage...

- Battery life (8.5/10): I wasn't expecting anything too positive... but surprisingly, the Desire 816 has great battery life. I use HTC's power saving mode at all times - and to be honest, it doesn't abolish the phone's experience by any means - it dims the screen a little, conserves unnoticeable CPU power and stops haptic feedback, to name a few. HTC also have extreme power saving mode which can be activated automatically in an emergency (i.e. if phone battery goes below a certain percentage) to effectively switch off all unnecessary phone features and only enable calls, texts and mail etc. Anyway, back to the battery overall - on light usage, I'm able to easily get through 2 or 3 days of usage. On a standard day of usage (which include calls, texts, social media, a bit of gaming and internet browsing), I'm comfortably able to get through a whole day. As with most phones nowadays, if you use it regularly, expect to charge it once a day.

- Software and overall user experience (9.5/10): HTC's Sense UI is very welcoming and, remarkably, I'm struggling to say anything critical about it. It's buttery smooth and very fast - if you like Android, you will not be disappointed with HTC Sense. Samsung in particular have been critised by a wide variety of tech personnel for overloading their UI with unnecessary software, thus causing Android to slow down needlessly. I can assure you that the Desire 816 is not slow or laggy in any way, and to be brutally honest, it isn't that much different to the rapidity of the M8. That's a pretty bold statement, I know. Essentially yes, the Desire 816 gives you a software experience very close to that of HTCs flagship phone, at almost half the price - well worth the money.

- Cameras (7/10): The 5MP front facing camera and 13MP rear camera are a good balance. The pictures produced by the rear sensor are crisp though a little lacking in colour I would say. Though this is the case, HTC have included a bunch of editing features within their software which allows us to be creative, post-shot. The front facing camera struggles a little in low-light, though this is not the case outdoors. The positive is that this is a high 5MP sensor within the body of a mid-range phone.

- Calls & Text (9/10): I am yet to experience issues with the handset itself with regards to calls and texts. Calls are clear, crisp and loud - thanks to BoomSound.

- Storage (7/10): The handset comes with an integrated 8GB of storage memory which is expandable up to 128GB using a MicroSD card. This is great, though I have to say I feel it's a little low to include 8GB onboard for a device released in 2014. Yes apps can be moved to SD, but some apps don't support this and so those will forcefully be stored on the 8GB space. Furthermore, roughly 5GB was pre-occupied out-of-the-box which only gives you around 3GB for these extra apps. Having said that, if you don't plan on installing many apps, you should have no issues using the device. Thankfully, photos, music and videos can be stored on the MicroSD card.

Overall (8/10): A great phone which has been priced very competitively. All the features and experiences above have contributed to this score which now leads me to recommend this device for anyone who is looking for a mid-range/cheaper large screen phone. Some of the specs do not compare to the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, nor the LG G3 for example, but we need to remember that this phone is not in their high-end league even though the overall experience of the handset is surprisingly not far from it!

Feel free to leave me a comment if you have any questions.

Happy buying :-)

Goliton® AUX 3.5mm Cable Connect iPod iPhone MP3 Phone Audio to Mazda Car Player connector adapter cable (2 Meter Long)
Offered by Bestin

5.0 out of 5 stars What more do you need?, 5 Sept. 2014
Why did nobody tell me that this was available?! There's nothing bad to say about this cable!

Installed on a 56 reg Mazda 6 TS2 (6 CD Bose audio).

- Arrived in good time
- To install, you remove the glove box and slip your hand in... There's no need to pull the radio out and it took my 5 mins (bit fiddly but very easy)
- Put the glove box back
- Turn the radio on, press "Media" (you should see "Aux" displayed) and you're away

So cheap, so good, simply brilliant... get one!

Happy buying :-)

i-Blason All New HTC One M8 Screen Protector - [ Ultra-Thin 0.24 mm Tempered Glass ] Premium Minimal Bubble 8 H Scratch Free Screen Protector (Glass-uT) for 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 2 Sept. 2014
My overall thoughts: Good product but not quite up to my expectations unfortunately.

Pros:
- Feels great to touch: as smooth as glass
- Very easily wipes clean
- Somewhat resistant to fingerprints
- Thinner than most glass protectors, though of course it's thicker than normal protectors
- Has [slightly] curved edges for a nicer feel
- Scratch resistant: I've tried scratching this with kitchen knives, keys and blades and it's not caused the smallest of damages

Cons:
- Not a perfect fit to the screen: the top and bottom have the most noticeable gaps
- Strangely, the product I received was not branded i-Blason and the packaging looked nothing like what the product images show

My advice: I would recommend installing it in the "steamy bathroom" scenario to avoid dust particles getting in. I wouldn't even bother worrying about air bubbles as they're virtually non-existent on this tempered glass protector. I strongly recommend you align and install first time round because lifting the protector to move it around/get rid of dust causes the protector to deform. I lifted the very corner of mine and that corner now appears to be damaged and will no longer stick down. Given that the protector wasn't a perfect fit for the screen, and that the corner became damaged, I returned the product.

I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but for £4.99, I can say that it's worth the money (though I worry why the product I received wasn't branded i-Blason)!

Happy buying :-)

SAMAR® - Supreme Quality New Google Nexus 5 Matte Anti Glare Screen Protectors (Released 2013) 6 in Pack - Includes Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Wave the Products

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not perfect, 24 Jun. 2014
A product does really need to be perfect for me to give it 5 stars.

There's only one thing which ruins this product for me - clarity. Once on, the protector produces a spotty multi-coloured glare; much like when you smudge your screen using oily fingers.

Pros:
- Easy to install, use YouTube for guidance. I installed mine first time 99% dust and bubble-free... very pleased :-)
- You're given 6 protectors (always nice to have extras for messing up your first application and then you can keep the rest as spare!)
- Very nice matte finish which stops your screen shining/glaring
- Feels nice to the touch

Cons:
- Could be maybe just a tiny bit larger for a slightly better fit, but I'm just being picky!
- No applicator card
- Not 100% transparent and so produces a multi-coloured finish

We have a matte finish protector for the iPad and that protector (not Samar) doesn't give you as much multi-coloured glare. I guess this is something which is difficult to avoid due to the material which matte protectors are made of. Regardless, given we've got a matte protector which has less of this multi-coloured glare, I feel Samar could maybe also reduce it - hence 4 stars.

Having said that, this is a good product for a great price so please do give it a try but don't expect perfection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4